Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 8th, 2004, 02:17 PM
lilpaws

Too cold to walk

Well it is minus a gizillion here in Calgary and my pooch has been severly neglected for her walks. She seems okay outside for a while but does anyone know what is "safe" weather (temp.) and for how long before they get too cold. I don't want to freeze her paws. She is a 52 lb yellow lab cross.
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Uhmmmm. I am not so sure on what temp is too cold. But I had a yellow lab mix growing up, and she was always outside. She loved it. And being from Minnesota, it did get cold! I am sure that a 5 or 10 minute walk would be fine. Just start out slow, and watch for signs that your dog is getting cold. Start at 5 minutes, and work your way up, until you have found out when it is too much for her. It is the only thing I can suggest.

Now if it was a little dog, under 40 pounds, it would be different, and walking may not be the best, if it is cold. You could also find a doggie sweater and doggie boots that would fit your dog. It will give her some extra warmth, and then you wouldn't have to worry about her paws getting as cold.
Old December 8th, 2004, 02:44 PM

I live in Northern Alberta. My guide is if it falls below -15 they do not go for walks. When they start to lift their paws it's too cold for a walk. They do give their :sad: look when I go out the door. You would think they would understand it's too bloody cold for a walk. I have small dogs.
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Small dogs are the worst at wanting to go out when it is freezing. Atleast from my experience. We have had about 5 or 6 small dogs, and who knows how many large dogs. The large dogs could care less on when they were let out, on the cold days.
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

My three cats will sit by the patio-door and wait,being used to me taking them outside every day,I bundle up and let them out,if it's really cold they take fivesteps and want back inside....It makes me wonder about all the poor strays out there,cats definetly do not like the cold weather :sad:
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree Chico!! I really wonder about those poor creatures!! Yin Yin abhors the cold. I have not taken her outside (and that was just to the deck!) since it was 12C and she was freezing then, yearning to get back inside. So we lasted out there all of 5 minutes.

It was -27 with the wind chill this AM and we are "ejoying" a minor blizzard (No classes, No emegencies, a warm home, lots to eat and Yin Yin has lots of toys and treats- what's not to like, lol) ao we will not be going anywhere! She is an indoor kitty anyway. (I wonder if she'll like Florida later this month?)

But thinking about those poor babies out there in the cold (even cats whose humans leave them out too long) makes me so sad and angry!!
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:51 PM

I live in Calgary as well and it is freezing here! I have 15lb Cockerspaniel and we went for a 25min walk last night, it was -24 out. (brrrr) I bought her muttlucks which I found out were the best from a prior thread and they really are great.I will also be getting her a sweater soon. I keep an eye on her for signs that she wants to go home or is getting cold, and we walk around the block that has lots of short cuts home if we need it. Also we dont stop moving and we never walk towards the wind if there is any. Shes a fast little walker so her muscles are always moving and we keep quite warm that way. I figure for us -30 we are staying inside no matter how much she whines. You know your dog best and will beable to tell when its time to go home. Hope this help some!
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:57 PM

I hear ya there Sarah! I can't believe how cold it is!!!!! Red hates the cold so when she goes out with Kia and Helix, she poops and pees quickly, hoping to come insdie, but the pups want to play so they take their time peeing and pooping, sniffind and playing around!! Red gets sooooo mad!! She just wants to come home and warm up on the couch. My poor baby!! I promise when Belle is with me that I will only take her out with Red so they can do their stuff and come right back home when it's really cold out!
Old December 8th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah I have found that they do let you know when they are cold. Even my little pony lets me know when he has had enough. Buddy has a fair amount of weight on him and there are some days when we only go out long enough for a pee and poo and when it is cold it amazing how fast they can find the perfect spot that normally takes a lot longer to find.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old December 8th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Senior Contributor

I see cats wondering around here all the time, luckily it isn't cold yet. But I do wonder if they belong to anyone. I see the same three cats everyday. There is a black one and 2 grey ones. I have a feeling that they are strays, being that I always see them going into the drain fields, and hide under a cement slab. I would really love to take one in, but they never let anyone get close to them.
Old December 8th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

so cold

I thought it was cold living in Montreal, I am so glad I am not in Alberta right now! Heavens, I didn't know it gets that cold there. I feel for you and the animals!
Old December 8th, 2004, 06:12 PM

Heelers Rock

Sounds good! Hopefully the weather warms up by then! Belle absolutly loves her walks and we are on such a routine that if we are a little behind she gets restless! She will make it well known when shes cold though, she will lay down wherever she is (usually in the middle of a road) and refuse to walk! This happened before we got her winter boots. You should have fun with her, she has quite a lot of quirks.
Old December 8th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Brick is the same way! We had such a good routine going, then it got cold!! SUCKS!!!!!!! He's antsy, wants to play, wants to walk, but its just way too cold!!! It's supposed to warm up tomorrow though!!! Yippeeee!!!!

Pami - if it's warm Sun...we're on for 11:00 at River Park ok???
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old December 8th, 2004, 06:24 PM

We sure are Chris!!! Sarah, you and Belle should join us!! It's going to be our "ritual" from now on! Hehehehe! I'm so excited! It's supposed ot be like -2 on Sunday, so kinda like living in the tropics I guess!!!
Old December 8th, 2004, 06:25 PM

Sarah, I totally look forward to spending time with Belle! She's gonna have a great time with us I'm sure.
Old December 8th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Love all creatures

Dogs should never be left outside in the cold...especially overnight? That's crazy...period..I think that's just darn cruel...no matter how comfortable they seem....letting a dog sleep in negative degree whether is insanity...even if its an alaskan malamute..I'm sorry but dogs are social creatures and a part of the family..I don't understand why people wouldn't keep their dogs WITH them in the house, especially at night..

As for walks..its starting to get chilly here too..I put a sweater on my pittie and she's got booties for when it starts to get snowy and icy outside...other than that..there's nothing else you can do...I'm thinking of looking into some agility classes for Messina over the winter...that might help with keeping those holiday pounds off her butt..lol
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:07 PM

I have a GSD and he loves the cold... I only gage the weather with myself and once I can't feel my nose, it's in the house we go.. and for his paws, they sell boots at Pet Smart, but it's a real treat putting them on, once they get used to it... he's toasty just like mom. I'm more worried about the salt on the roads, sidewalks then the snow...

You can always buy a treadmill
Old December 8th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Lilith, if you were of a mind to, you could help out the ferals by providing them with shelter and lots of calories (dry kitten food, augmented with butter, meat drippings, anything fatty). Here is a link that you might find useful. As you will see, a shelter doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Then perhaps in the spring you could rent a humane trap and have them neutered. Even if you have to release them again, they will be far better off.

http://www.petfinder.org/journalinde...cats/1.5.1.txt
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=badger]Lilith, if you were of a mind to, you could help out the ferals by providing them with shelter and lots of calories (dry kitten food, augmented with butter, meat drippings, anything fatty). Here is a link that you might find useful. As you will see, a shelter doesn't have to be fancy or expensive. Then perhaps in the spring you could rent a humane trap and have them neutered. Even if you have to release them again, they will be far better off. QUOTE]

Thanks for the info badger. I am hoping to gain the black one's trust one day. I have about a year and a half to work on him, until I have to move again. The two gray ones are pretty too, but here we are only allowed 2 pets ( as far as cats and dogs, caged animals don't count). I think that with James permission, I will try to get them all to come in, to atleast eat. They live about2 blocks from here, though. But maybe if I can gain one's trust before it gets too cold, and bring him in to eat, he will show the other's where we live. If I am unable to keep them all, I will probably try to rehome them, or bring them to the local shelter. I know that they do spay and neuter before adoption.
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Bagder,

That is a great article. Thanks so much for the link. I do not see too many ferals but I was happy for the info (and it brought back warm memories of my grandmother and her feral colony).

And whoever remarked about the cold in Alta, you'd NEVER survive in the Maritimes. We have been known to get temps of -40C (at that temp, both F and C are the same, identical temp). But I HAVE seen the weather channel indicate a -43 with the wind chill. The older I get though, the more I hate the cold. (Yet I turned down a recruiter from Texas and also from Univ of South Fla - if they were to come back some cold Feb day, lol)
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:13 AM

Ha! I remember one winter where, with the windchill, it was -50!!! I remember because I was taking the bus to work that night. We can get quite cold here in the prairies!! We've just been lucky so far this winter, so we're being babies about the -22 with the windchill that it's been for the past few days!!
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:20 AM

Exclamation River Park!?!?

Can we come too?? Where exactly? What time??

Lindy and I would finally love to meet you all!?!?!
Old December 9th, 2004, 01:23 AM

Talking

My cat who I had for 20 years hated when it snowed. He would run out the front door and then freeze, realize it had snowed and do the whole "OMG, what is on my feet!!!" routine. He would then "pussyfoot" back inside and want to go out the back door and was extremely PO'd that the weather was the same out there as well. Funny thing is that he did the same thing every year for 20 years. Kinda like the drivers in Calgary, first snow and they forget how to drive.
Old December 9th, 2004, 07:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh yeah and we all know the routine where they sit at the door you have just opened - shall I go, shall I stay, eeenie-meenie-mynie-mo - while the furnace roars to life. Reminds me of an old cartoon strip featuring a maid called Hazel - none of you will remember it, it is lost in the mists of time - where she is standing at the door with the cat, providing a weather report (sun, 40 degrees, light wind - anything else?) while the cat ponders.
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:12 AM
Senior Contributor

yes, thanks Badger for that link, it was very informative.

My cats (with the exception of Jerk and the stray) hate the cold and don't bother with going outside again until the spring.
On really sunny, warmer days I will let them out and they like to roll on the pavement then run back inside

Buddy was astonished at the snow, it's his first winter.....Ursa will go out and roll in it all day if you let her, but she is to old for that now....I let her roll around a bit then I make sure she gets a good walk then send her back in the house to keep her joints warm .....she thinks I have become a crabby old woman that won't let her play
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Awwww cats and their quirks It's funny how they seem to think it will be better weather going out another door,at least that's what I think they think!! and the sniffing in the door-way with the furnace blasting hubbie gets all up in arms.
Since I go out with my cats,I have to go out anyway to feed my birds,,..I've been know to stay out there and make a snow-man or something,while the "delicat"kitties do everything they can to avoid wetting their paws and scurrie back inside.
I fully agree with Badger,if you see a stray cat outside in the cold,please help him/her,feed them on a regular basis,once you start,you have to continue..catch them if you can,maybe feed them from a shed or garage and slowly gain their confidence.If it's cold for us,it's cold for the cats/dogs!
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Charlie and Willy love the cold and they don't seem bothered by it.

If they don't go for a walk they go crazy, and I have never seen Willy shy away from the door when I say walk time!

But when it is really cold, the walk will be cut down and I keep a very close eye on them.
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

JANE!!! So good to see you again!!!! I lost your # OF COURSE you can come!!!!! River park is south on Crowchild to 50th Ave, head east to the very end, there is a parking lot. You go past Central Memorial high school & safety city. Can't miss it!!! We would LOVE to meet you too!!!! PM me if you want my #.

Sunday @ 11 @ River Park for anyone else in Calgary too!!! It'll be FUN!! I'll bring my camera!!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old December 9th, 2004, 09:49 AM
banned user

Burrrr, winter!. My dogs actually love the cold, but I hate it. Well I guess they are lucky and I have to suffer.
Old December 9th, 2004, 02:12 PM
owned by Tucker

I know what your talking about last winter we had a few days -30 and our dog then would go outside and collaps on the ground from the cold in his feet. He had bone cancer and could only walk on three legs so this didn't help. Find inside games to play, hide the kids\toys\treats and get your dog to find them, teach new tricks, retreving. Keep the dogs mind busy you would be surprised how fast they tire out.