Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old April 22nd, 2004, 08:51 PM
Mandy

Question Save me from MEOWING CAT!

Ok i have a cat she's close to nine months old, recently our house been being remodled so during the day we have to keep her and our other cat locked up in my room but it's been for months now. We've been letting them out. But ever since the first time shes went into heat we can't help but have her locked up. EVEN WHEN SHES NOT IN HEAT. Like right now she's not in heat she wonders through the house meowing all the time. Were going nuts....I love her to death put we can't deal with this. ANY THOUGHTS!!!!!!!!!!!???????
Old April 22nd, 2004, 09:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Get her spayed. A female cat will continue to come into heat until she is pregnant or spayed. I know, I have an appointment to get mine done!
Old April 22nd, 2004, 10:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Cats howl when they are in heat. A nine month cat should have been spayed 4 months ago.

I hope you aren't letting her outside.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:48 AM
Mandy

Unhappy

I know every appointment we had for her we missed grrness towards my mother but still. She's actually not in heat right now. Like she'll come downstairs be wandering around for like 2 to 3 hours then she just starts doin it for no reason. I'll call her she'll come out where i am jump up with me for a second then walk back in the other room and keep doing it. And no needs to worry about her going outside we had 2 outside cats before one kept getting attacked and the other one basically ranaway or left to die.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 07:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Well if you love her to death,then make an appointment and take her in.Tell your mom she NEEDS to get spayed ASAP...It's not going to stop till she gets done.

As Sandi said,she will continue to come in heat untill she gets pregnant.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 08:41 AM

Talking cats

Cats wandering the house talking may be usually but not always due to the cat being in heat. I have three Siamese cats and they talk and whine more than three teenage girls begging for the car keys.
One of the cats "Mr. Pye" is a Male and the other two are females"Ching & Charlie". All are fixed.
Ching is the only one who tries to be half way quiet. The other two talk and chatter more than Kelly Rippa and Regis Philbin.
It is something you get used to.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 02:37 PM
Mandy

Unhappy

Thanks both of you. I like your cats names hehe they're cute. But the thing is i know that if she keeps doing this m y mom wont want to keep her. My mom has headaches alot and having a cat wandering around basically screaming as loud as she can....it won't last .
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Well girl,first have her spayed,then you might see a difference and tell your mom to take a pill
Maybe the cat is trying to tell you something,other than Siamese cats,cats do not meow all the time for no reason,so get her spayed as soon as possible.
Woodbyter,I have a friend who also has three Siamese cats and the noisiest one is 18yrs old,boy is she loud
Loved your seniors story,I've run into the same things a few times and if it benefits me,I'll be a senior
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

How old are you, if you don't mind my asking? Are you old enough to drop off a cat to a vet appointment to have her spayed? It takes about 2 minutes.

Your mother has killed one cat for spraying, one was left outside and got attacked repeatedly and another ran away. Now wants to kill an intact female for being in heat??

Your mother needs to either learn to be more responsible and that cats are not like disposable razors, or stop taking in cats!!
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:54 PM
Senior Contributor

You have 2 in the house?Is the other one fixed?

My 7 month old kitten(who was neutered at 8 weeks) at times meows alot.But it's only because he can't find us.He's deaf so it's not like we can call him and he comes to us.

Your cat needs to get spayed.What happens if by accident she gets out?
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:55 PM
Mandy

Ok first of all stop makin my mom sound like a murderer lol not sure if typo but ok w/e still. She's doing what she can, she works long hours and dealing with cats spraying on ALL of the new furniture for 6 months isn't fun. Neither is stepping in a tub with cat POOP in it!(yuck) And I am old enough to drive to drop her off but I can't I have school. And yes the other one is fixed.
Old April 23rd, 2004, 05:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Ummmmm why on earth is there cat poop in the tub????????
Old April 23rd, 2004, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Sorry to have to say this,but I don't think you should have cats period,it's not a good environment for a cat if he/she is not loved or at least liked by everyone and it seems to me your family is taking the responsability of caring for cats very lightly.Cats meow,have claws to scratch and occasionally for whatever reason will spray or have"accidents".
That is all part of owning a cat
Old April 24th, 2004, 09:47 AM
Mandy

Ok first of all you don't know me....the only person bugging out about the cats and wanting to get rid of them is my mom. I love these cats to death and would do nething so you really have no need to be saying that whatsoever. And the poop in the tub is before our older cat, not stormie but the one we had to get rid of would go in in the morning even with fresh litter n poop.
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

If you "love them to death" and would do anything for them, then you can spare a couple minutes one morning out of the whole school year to drop your female off to be spayed. There is no excuse for this.
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Also Dear,I am not saying YOU don't love your cats,but you are the child and your Mom the head of the household and if she decides to"get rid"of the cat for whatever reason,there is not much you can do,but cry....
If it is a money-issue pay for the spaying out of your allowance
Old April 24th, 2004, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Lets just say I'm glad your not pooping in the tub and howling all hours....You may be out the door...LOL

Also,I take it that YOU were the one who wanted these cats?
Old April 25th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Mandy

Angry

Well if I was pooping in the tuv at my age they'd probly try to have me admitted. And as far as wanting the cats we both wanted them. And as far as the little one, the one who's meowing I actually wasn't planning on getting her. We went to the humane society and were looking around for a couple hours and my mom said to pick one. She pointed out Precious and she was so tiny you couldn't say no. So it wasn't just all of my idea. And as far as getting out of school. It's close to may I can't be a hr and a half late during times we are preparing for exams....I mean we need her to be fixed yes but I need to pass my exams too.
So really I don't get why you people are being so judgmental of me because of me saying I can't miss school or I have no way of getting there. Plus the reason my mom can't bring her is because she has to leave for work at 6:30 in the morning she works till 7, her boyfriend works about the same hours and the vets will only take her at 8 or 8:15 in the mornin. I really don't care if by something I said you think I don't care about my cats...you're dead wrong. People come here for help not to be criticised.
Old April 25th, 2004, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

"The only person bugging out about my cats and wanting to get rid of them is my mom"
Burgh,you contradict yourself..in one post you say your mom wants cats in the other she wants to get rid of them.
You are doing a good thing rescuing cats from HS,but you are doing them great harm by returning them as soon as they somehow"screw up".
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

You came on here for help.And we told you what needs to be done.We said that she needs to get spayed.But no one seems to have the time to take her.So she will continue to MEOW.And then what will happen.She will be out the door.Then you will be right back at the HS getting another.If you love her so much,you will find a way to get her into the vets.How did you manage getting her to the vets to have her shots done?Or has she had any?Not being rude,just asking.
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:23 AM

Rescuing animals

There are times in one's life when we can help others and times when we think we are helping but in the big picture we are not actually part of the solution but adding to the problem.

Most of the people on this board (from my limtied exposure to them) are good hearted (if albeit sometimes a bit direct-myself included).

I don't think anyone is trying to say your a bad person or a non caring person about your cats. Sometimes we get into situations that sort of spiral out of control and take more time - money and sacrifice than we had planned on. And sometimes our resources - time and money - are limited more than we realized when we got into, IE cat resucue !
And sometimes animal resuceres can skate by, adopt a cat or dog or two and never have behavioral problems or health issues which drain money and time.

I have one dog that was rescued and is still the picture of health 8 years later. I take her to the vet twice a year and the groomer's once a year(spring haircut) and that is it. I have another dog we rescued as a puppy and the first 10 weeks we had her cost us $3,000.00 you just never know. Some people can afford that sort of shock and others would have to go without food to provide it and others still just don't have that sort of cash flow and some vets will not set up payment schedules.

So in closing I hope you stay and listen to the advice on the board and realize we are all dedicated animal lovers. Take the comments at face value and not personal digs.

That's my 2 cents worth and as the country singer says"That's my story and I'm sticking to it"
The Woodbyter
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Mandy

Yes she has her shots, when we got her it was in the summer, no worries of missing school. And as far as bringing our animals to the vet they each go 3 times a year, maybe more because I'm really over protective over them if i think the slightest thing is wrong I'll whine to my mom until she brings them. Precious isn't a year even and shes been like 4 times this year.
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

You came here for help and we are telling you what will help. You went and deliberately brought this cat home, so you are responsible for her. That responsibility does not end with bringing her home. It includes getting her spayed.

I'm sorry but I do not believe that there was not ONE occasion you could get her to the vet in the last 4 months. If you drop her off at 8:15, how late will that make you for school? Are you going to fail if you are a bit late ONE day in the entire year?

I always got my cats to the vet, even while working full time. Many people work yet still get their cats s/n.

Drop her off at night, then. Why can't you do that?

I repeat: There is NO reason why this cat is not spayed so stop making excuses. You are old enough to drive, so you are not a child. Be adult.
Old April 25th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Well then I suggest you start whinning to mom to take her to get spayed.

WAIT,you say they go 3 times a year or more because you are over protective of them.How did you take them to the vets then if your mom works all these hours?

And how did Precious manage getting to the vets 3 times this year?

I'm confused now.
Old April 25th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I actually think Burgh is a little confused herself,not to be rude,but she sends very conflicting messages
We've given her our advice and that's really all that can be said.
Unfortunately a lot of people get cats as a temporary,cute novelety,not intending to keep them for the 19-20yrs that they might live,many cats are let outside to roam freely as soon as they are no longer"cute"and will have a much shorter life-span,only to be replaced by another"cute"little kitten.
A very sad reality for many of the cats at shelters all over Canada
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Mandy

Angry

They will see them on weekends but don't do surgery on weekends. And chico I do NOT consider them a novelty item, that would be like considering my nephew as a novelty item. You people are very rude. Just because of something that is said you take it to the head and extremes...Talk about jumping to conclusions you people don't know me and are judging me. Maturity level....WAY DOWN.
Old April 25th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Those who think we are rude are those who don't like hearing the truth.

We are NOT judging you.....Like I said,whine to your mom to take her in.You say it works any other time.

You have already said that she will get rid of the cat....Is that what you want?

What happens if she gets out of the house and comes back pregnant.Then what?And please don't say it won't happen.
Old April 25th, 2004, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Well Burgh,I said a"lot of people"not necessarily you....
I am not sure what kind of answer you expected from this Forum,but spaying/neutering is a must!!! It's your moms responsability,since you have no income.Hopefully you're cats meowing will stop,maybe she's not fed enough and is hungry all the time
Old April 25th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Mandy

Each cat has there own filled bowl of food and water.
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:27 PM
Senior Contributor

"Jumping to conclusions"? YOU told us that one cat was left outside to be attacked repeatedly, YOU told us that another cat disappeared, and YOU told us that yet ANOTHER cat was killed for spraying. Now YOU tell us that neither you nor your mom has had 5 minutes the last 4 months to drop your cat at the vet to be spayed. We didn't make this up, you know.

So: Why can't you drop her off at night?