Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old January 5th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Learning fast

Rileys slow tranisition.

So for the past 2 weeks I have been trying the whole bone thing out. As previously mentioned this is the first dog for me and I had no preconceived ideas about what was right or wrong. I had a bit or trouble with a bit of playing with kibble and we got back on the straight an narrow. So I was reluctant to try anything else, that was untill I found all the chickens I got back had the necks inside and the organs in blue plastic bags (the clear ones are for beef). So I started with a neck or two, gave plenty of treats of liver (before I had the knowledge of liver) and had to start playing around, I got a load of chicken quarters from a friend clearing out his freezer (chicken farmer) before he had his birds butchered, and that has been Rileys staple diet, he still has canadie in the evenings as he is weaning off the kibble slowly. So what have the past 2 weeks shown, well he still smells doggy, and he still takes ages to eat his food in the evening. The raw however we are playing with, if I buy a roast like sirlion pork I cut the bone out with a big chunk of meat and thats breakfast, a couple of chicken necks and chicken liver, thats another breakfast, or a quarter of chicken. It's real easy and the only thing stopping me before was the whole idea of giving this suppliment and that suppliment. Riley is like a mad dog now, he has so much energy, not the run around for longer kind of energy, but the kind you imagine a 4 month old puppy to have at playtime, he jumps everywhere, he brings you one toy and if your busy he keeps bringing you more toys and trying to get you to play, only it's all the time, bedtime is easy now as he is ready for sleep, a simple 'time for bed' has him taking himself upstairs. AND THE POO!, Ok i was waiting for it all to come out of his system like a horse as we were only getting little tiny pebbles, they became whitish so we introduced the liver and problem solved. After a week I realized that this was it, no 4 day backup that was going to come up to his knees when it finally came. I have today introduced cow's liver and 2 hours later he has started to scratch? I'll back off and see how he does with the pork this week. This could be all tied into the fact that 4 months on he is more intergrated into the house and the time line would fit, but for now he seems to love mealtimes (something that he had never done) and he is much more active (looking for trouble constantly). Now if I eat that stuff will I be able to keep up?
Old January 5th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Awesome! It really is simple.

And the whole poo thing, "is that all of it?" always gets me.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Learning fast

Not worried but thought I'd ask, going on for 3 weeks now and looking good, except keeping up is hard work, I think he has found what his teeth are for, the rope bode has been destroyed! his poop, while normal in colour, and small in volume is sometimes mucous'y is this jsut him getting used to passing harder matter, no blood and he looks fine so not to worried, jsut interested.