Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:05 AM

Purebred Shiba Inus

My little Macy is 10 months old. She's a purebred Shiba.... and yet, she doesn't look as sturdy as most Shiba's I've seen. I've even been asked if she's mixed with an American Eskie. She's a beautiful girl. She has along coat, which I know is a flaw in Shiba's, but it gives her a really neat look, and I wasn't ever planning on showing her or I wouldn't have picked her. The breeder I got her from has bred them for years, but ironically enough she bred Eskie's too. I'm just wondering if anyone thinks there might be something "shady" going on at that breeder's or if she's just a little daintier than normal Shibas? Either way, I'm not going to phone up the breeder and scream and yell that I want a new one, because we love our little brat, I just would like to get someone else's opinion on this. ( and for the record since I know this is a board that helps the homeless pups and kitties... we went to the local SPCA in Edmonton, and there wasn't one dog left that was compatible with kids and other dogs.... it was right before Christmas which probably means that Sadly alot of those Christmas presents found their way back to the SPCA a few months later)

Here's Macy and her sister as pups and one more recent of her now
Attached Images

Last edited by Slams_58; August 22nd, 2006 at 10:11 AM.
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:10 AM

Now... She really is sweet and getting to be quite well behaved. She'll bolt out the door when the kids aren't fast enough, but never runs away. She thinks it's a game to get you to beg her to come back into the house tho!
Attached Images

Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Very cute! I've never seen a Shiba with that coat colour! (My aunt and uncle had several, but they were all the fox colour). As for whether she's a mix, I honestly don't know, since I don't know what that coloured shiba normally looks like, did the whole litter have long haired coats?
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:35 AM

No. Her sister had a shorter coat. I've researched long coats and all that...and it's sort of a rare flaw from what I can tell. Her coloring is bang on. The pattern of the cream is exactly how it should be, and her eyebrows... LOL she looks black on top of her head and back..but if you lift her hair... she's got a big "foxy colored" polka dot under he black guard hair... and under where her curly tail spilts her hair on her back. She's a great dog... she's still for a bit of the puppy "stupids" but that's what makes her her!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I recently discovered the shiba and i think they are the sweetest looking things i want one, but my apartment is full! i cant help you out but she is the cutest thing
Old August 22nd, 2006, 11:39 AM

Thanks. She is cute. She's a bit of a brat on the leash training thing... but I take her to our off leash park here and she won't go far. She'll maybe be 20 ft from me...but won't leave my Samoyed side so she really doesn't stray. That doesn't mean I trust her off her leash outside of a fenced in area... that'll be the time that she takes off on me!
Old August 22nd, 2006, 03:39 PM
LOVER OF AKITA'S

Are Shiba Inus the miniature version of an Akita?

Nevada
Old August 22nd, 2006, 04:30 PM
Laval Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada77

Nevada

Yup.. well, there is the Shiba Inu (smallest) and then something else as medium, (cant remember right now) and Akita is the largest.
Old August 26th, 2006, 09:12 PM

She looks pure to me, if you want send me the breeders name and I can tell you if they are reputable or not. I did shiba rescue for many years.....
Old August 28th, 2006, 05:26 PM
Meaghan Edwards

They look purebred to me. Black and tan is an acepted colour in the breed, just like red, seseme (black hairs mixed with the brown) and cream.
Old August 28th, 2006, 06:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada77

Nevada
No. While they may have similar ancesters in the very beginning, they were bred for very different reasons.
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a pure American Eskimo. Sure, if you look at the older picture of your dog's face you can see a resemblance to an Eskimo, but same can be said for many Huskies, Keeshonds (I know, Spitz breed) and other "wolf" like looking dogs. I am just glad my guy has a curly tail or you would think he was a white wolf standing on a mountain of snow howling. If there is Eskie in your dog I don't think it is dominant and maybe even be a grandparent. Be VERY grateful for your dog's colouring - a white dog who loves mud is a dog who looks grey and not a pretty grey like the gorgeous Keeshond we met - who has same face as my guy - kind of weird looking at her - especially since my guy is a guy but looks more like a girl than she does.
Old August 29th, 2006, 11:27 AM

I know the fun of a white dog. This is my other bundle of fur. She's 10 1/2 years old. She's the best dog I've ever met. When we first moved here to Alberta we had to buy a new house with no landscaping done. We've only had a lawn for 3 weeks now so you can imagine how great it was having a white dog in nothing but mud and clay.
Attached Images

Old September 19th, 2006, 09:52 AM

Your Shiba is gorgeous! Beautiful markings!

Bonnie
Toronto Shiba Inu Meetup
Shiba Rescue GTA
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:13 PM

Awww, they are adorable

"Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God." ~Unknown
Old September 19th, 2006, 09:38 PM

Thanks. I forgot about this thread.
Old September 28th, 2006, 11:10 PM
I love my shiba inu.

I have 2

pure bread Shiba inu as you all know, I am wondering if any of you can let your dogs run loose, I know some do but mine take off at the first opportunity they come back but in there own time. The only command they never (I wont say did not learn) its the one they chose to ignore.
Old September 29th, 2006, 10:21 PM

I usually have a board across the opening of my veranda since she bolts at every opportunity. She usually only goes a house or two away... but she loves for you to chase her so she can make you look silly! She's too smart!
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:35 AM
-

I don't know how I've managed to miss this thread. Your dogs are gorgeous. I have a siberian husky which is my third. He has gotten loose a few times but is the only one that has come back when called. I hope I haven't jinxed myself now that I've posted this.