Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old October 18th, 2010, 06:11 AM

Feral kittens and fleas

Hey Guys I'm hoping someone can help me out.We have 2 feral kittens that have decided to make our balcony home.We have it blocked off so our adult cats can't get away but these kittens fit thru the tiniest spot!!! Last night we saw them in our cat tent on our fabric camping chair curled up sleeping.We couldn't shoo them away because it's getting cold and they looked mighty comfy.The woman downstairs was supposed to be bringing them to the SPCA but she has yet.
My question is for the time being the back balcony is off limits to our kitties because we're afraid the have fleas,ear mites,worms the works!! I'm going to take them to the SPCA this week myself because it's getting way too cold out there.Is there any way to clean the balcony to rid it of fleas.The fabrics tent is going in the garbage and most likely I won't try to salvage the chair either.I would just like to be extra sure that the balcony is clean.Anyone have any ideas???
Thanks
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Diatomaceous earth and/or a borate product will probably do the trick:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ig106
http://eartheasy.com/live_natural_flea_control.html

How old are the kittens? Do you know for sure that they're feral? What is your SPCA's policy on ferals? Many just euthanize cats that aren't friendly enough for adoption - you might want to make sure that's not the case before turning them over. If the kittens are too old to be socialized, perhaps contacting an organization that will TNR them is a better idea.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:39 AM

Good Morning SCM! Well our SPCA is a no kill shelter...so I'm assuming that they will find them a home,otherwise they keep them there. Yes,I'm sure they're feral I would say they are maximum 4 months old.I first saw them around the middle of August but they were keeping their distance till recently.
My hubby said we could keep them but I just don't have the resources to have them and take care of the 2 we already have.Plus there have been some many changes in Mickey and Gigi's lives lately I really don't think it would be fair
Thanks for the links I'm going to check them out
Old October 18th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Mickey, my angel

Thanks for looking out for these kitties.

I take it you plan to take them to the SPCA Monteregie? As far as I know that is the only no-kill SPCA in your area.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:50 AM

Yes,thats where I'm taking them...when I can get my hands on them lol!!! They seem to come around at 9 at night then disappear in the daytime.It's like they know I have been told by a few friends that SPCA Monteregie is not taking anymore cats ..period!!! But trust me they will take these 2.I assume that kittens are adopted out faster than adult cats so I have my that they will agree to take them.I've been calling all morning and can not get an answer though.
Old October 18th, 2010, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmomma View Post
Well our SPCA is a no kill shelter...so I'm assuming that they will find them a home,otherwise they keep them there.
I would still ask what their policy is regarding ferals. They may be no-kill, but often that "no-kill" moniker only applies to adoptable pets. Feral cats are not necessarily adoptable. Plus, the stress on a feral cat of being cooped up indefinitely can be very detrimental to their health and wellbeing, making them even less adoptable as time goes on. It's often kinder to TNR a truly feral cat than it is to send them to a shelter, even a no-kill one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysmomma View Post
I assume that kittens are adopted out faster than adult cats so I have my that they will agree to take them.
If they're friendly, yes that's usually the case. But if they are freaked out by people (and most ferals are) and there isn't someone (ie foster home) available to try to socialize them, then their adoption potential drops dramatically.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler