Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old July 15th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Vale for our darling Gemma.

Parkwyn Gold N Gem, known to you all as Gemma. 15/3/'00 - 15/7/'13

Why are you crying,
I am not there.
Look not for me by the favorite chair,
I am not there.
See me not at the bed's foot,
Nor at the door's step,
I am not there.
Do not look to the earth's cold hand,
It could not hold me,
I am not there.
Look to the midnight star, a comet's flash,
Racing shadows in the field, sun lights
Dance on water's edge.
Hear me, the rustle of the grass,
Pine bough sigh, the beat of bird's wings,
The rain's quiet tattoo.
Feel me in your heart, for it is there I cannot leave.
Wait for my loving kiss, my paw's soft touch
At Rainbow Bridge.
I will meet you there, and we shall dance again,
Together.

Author unknown
Attached Images

Old July 15th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

A very sad day for you and your family. Good-bye sweet Gemma.
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:28 AM

Oh GF!! so sorry about Gemma

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old July 15th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Thinking of you today GF.

RIP Sweet Gemma!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 15th, 2013, 04:51 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

So sorry for your loss, GF. It was a good run, though, with lots of good memories and a large place for her in your heart...

Gemma

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 15th, 2013, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh GF I am so sorry to hear this. Gemma had the best of lives with you though, and went with your love and comforting touch. The poem gave me shivers and tears.

RIP sweet, beautiful Gemma, you will always be so loved.
Old July 15th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I am sorry to hear of the lost of your beloved Gemma. The poem brought tears to my eyes.
Old July 16th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

So sorry to be reading this sad/sweet poem GF - please accept my deepest condolences
sweet Gemma
Old July 16th, 2013, 08:25 PM

That is a beautiful poem for a beautiful sheltie. Shelties are special dogs that leave so many memories, many of them strange. But the strange ones are the ones that make you laugh the most when you remember them. I'm so sorry, Goldfields.
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the kind words everyone. You are a very special group of friends, dog lovers to the core who can feel for a dog half a world away, and have empathy with its owner. Sad times that we all unfortunately have to get through in our turn. A District Nurse who was here yesterday is grieving still for a beautiful Border Collie she lost maybe 2 years ago. I will try to be positive. It was a delight to own a pretty little girl like Gemma. Lindapalm is right in the she did make us laugh a lot, and so many nice memories. Losing Gemma makes me think I need to cherish every day I have with the remaining shelties, 2 of which are now 12 years old, and two are 10.
Old July 17th, 2013, 12:56 AM

sweet Gemma She is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old July 17th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Thanks for the kind words everyone. You are a very special group of friends, dog lovers to the core who can feel for a dog half a world away, and have empathy with its owner. Sad times that we all unfortunately have to get through in our turn. A District Nurse who was here yesterday is grieving still for a beautiful Border Collie she lost maybe 2 years ago. I will try to be positive. It was a delight to own a pretty little girl like Gemma. Lindapalm is right in the she did make us laugh a lot, and so many nice memories. Losing Gemma makes me think I need to cherish every day I have with the remaining shelties, 2 of which are now 12 years old, and two are 10.
I had people come up to me when I had my Standard Poodle and they would tell me stories about their Poodles they had growing up and how much they still miss their dog. Our pets really know how to work their way into our hearts forever.
Old July 17th, 2013, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
They do have a very special place in our hearts don't they? I have lost my fare share of people and pets... and I think with pets it tends to be a bit harder because they are around for a shorter time, and it literally feels like loosing a child, how are the other dogs doing? are they missing her lots?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
Old July 17th, 2013, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm so sorry for your loss. I love that poem. Gemma will always be with you, in your heart and soul.
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:24 AM
Senior Contributor

Jull, I used to sleep Dundee and Gemma together and Dundee did seem a bit lost at first. Now I've put 3 boys together, Matthew , Toby and Dundee and he seems happy with their company. When Jarrah comes in season I will need to separate the boys but we're used to that. They get a bit short tempered with each other at such times. I never pair Bo up with another dog seeing he wasn't reared here and has had fights with Dundee. He also is the most likely to want to trounce Roo. LOL.
You're right, Longblades, doesn't matter how many years fly by, you don't forget the dogs you've had, do you?
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Goldfields;1059689]Jull, I used to sleep Dundee and Gemma together and Dundee did seem a bit lost at first. Now I've put 3 boys together, Matthew , Toby and Dundee and he seems happy with their company. When Jarrah comes in season I will need to separate the boys but we're used to that. They get a bit short tempered with each other at such times. I never pair Bo up with another dog seeing he wasn't reared here and has had fights with Dundee. He also is the most likely to want to trounce Roo. LOL.
You're right, Longblades, doesn't matter how many years fly by, you don't forget the dogs you've had, do you?[/QUOTE]

Yes, they are always with us. I find the board helps keep memories alive too. This thread of Jull's http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=84303
just brought Whisper back to me in living, breathing colour and with scratch and sniff effects.
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

LOL. What you said about Whisper reminded me of a very funny story about a Boxer in one of the James Herriot vet books, and also bought to mind my old darling Shady. The first Shady, a cattle dog. I'd fed her on Pal the night before our local show and didn't she let us know once she got in the car. I went with my brother to that show as he was judging Terriers, and the 3 of us, sister in law too, laughed all the way, with me offering to roll the window down and stick her hear end out the window. LOL.
Old July 17th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Incidentally, Gemma would never have been so unladylike, she was a genuine Princess. Her mate, my golden girl, Silk, looked like a Princess but after eating her food she would always give a big burp.
Old July 17th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Ah, the burps. Why is it they always have to burp in our faces??? Now if you want to talk gas, let me introduce you to Lupa. Her name gets longer by the day, she could be Princess Lupa China Doll (she breaks easy) Gassy Pants.... Yes our dogs give us great memories!
Old July 18th, 2013, 12:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Hahahaha! Longer and funnier, DD. That's priceless.
I've just ordered Gemma's rose, and a few others of course, but they tell me it won't be delivered till August, possibly then while I am in Hospital? I will have to leave the pots and mix ready and see if Di will pot them up for me, or Stephen would for sure.