Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old July 8th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Rescuing a baby-sparrow..

This morning hubby found a baby-sparrow,by the time I got outside he had gone through the wirefence to our neighbor.
I climbed over the fence,was looking everywhere could not find him.
Then we took the cats out and Vinnie showed me right away where the baby was,eager to get to him,on the other side.
Over the fence I go again and found the little guy,his little body was just shaking.
We knew where he came from,one of our birdhouses,so hubby climbed the ladder and the baby went in all by himself.
It was funny though,the parents seemed confused,they had been feedig him on the ground and all of a sudden he was back in the bird-house
Hopefully they were not confused because we put him in the wrong house but I am pretty sure which one he came from.
Now everything is fine,the parents are feeding him again..it kind of feels good to save a little life.
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree how nice that feels....congrats to you guys!

Diane
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
It was funny though,the parents seemed confused,they had been feedig him on the ground and all of a sudden he was back in the bird-house
HAHAH i can just picture them looking at each other "ummm hon...i thought we scheduled the flying lessons next week..."

good job chico
Old July 8th, 2007, 04:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yay, Chico!

I'll bet the parents will be bragging up their precocious flyer to all their friends!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:06 PM
-

Great job, Chico.

I did the same thing last year with a baby cowbird but the parents pushed it out of the nest and I found it the next morning. :sad: Someone told me it was because they didn't like the human smell from me picking it up. How the heck was I supposed to get it back in the nest then.
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Birds can't smell human smell. You can put the baby back into the nest without any worrying

ACO22
Old July 8th, 2007, 05:23 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Great job, Chico.

I did the same thing last year with a baby cowbird but the parents pushed it out of the nest and I found it the next morning. :sad: Someone told me it was because they didn't like the human smell from me picking it up. How the heck was I supposed to get it back in the nest then.
If the parents pushed a baby cowbird out of the nest then it wasn't because of your scent, rainbow. Cowbirds are nest parasites--they lay their eggs in other birds' nests. The cowbird eggs usually hatch first and the baby cowbirds push the host's true eggs (or hatchlings) out of the nest so that the cowbirds get more parental attention. If the parents were pushing a cowbird out of the nest, they were just protecting their own chicks, not reacting to your scent. So definitely not your fault!

ACO22 is right--most birds have a terrible sense of smell, except birds like turkey vultures, which can smell carrion miles away (which, in my mind, is also a "terrible" sense of smell...but in a different way ). Human scent on a chick won't put the parents off at all--but human scent or disturbance around the nest can sometimes attract predators...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 8th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Congratulations Chico!! It is good to save a life!!! That baby bird is lucky you came along!
Old July 9th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Well,he is still there,together with a sibling,the parents are feeding them regularly
I have 2 birdhouses attached to my house,one very close to my deck,where we sit and that's the one he was from,the BH are covered by our Virginia Creeper,very well protected.
I was just worried we put him in the wrong bird-house,there was a bit of a squabble going on between the 2 sets of parents
The birdhouses are about 10 feet apart,both with babies.
As for the Cowbirds,they are very lazy parents,just drop their eggs in anybodys nest,with the result the hosts babies usually die,an open beak is an open beak,the strongest baby survives and gets fed.
I my birdies...