Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old April 7th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Lucy's daddy

Dog health insurance?

Is there such a thing?

These vet-bills can be pretty dramatic when serious stuff happens and I would never want to lose Lucy to a vet-bill, but what if you really can't pay?

I'm totally against any insurance payment(be it a car, housr or whatever), but when it comes to a LIVE person or animal, I don't mind it.

Anyone with any feedback?
Old April 7th, 2006, 01:16 PM

To my astonishment, Yes there is pet insurance. Within the last week I discovered it and you can just type that into a search engine (ex. google.com) and it will pull up the different types. I don't have it but from memory, dogs ran about $25 a month for 'full coverage'

Good luck in your search~
Old April 7th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

There are several plans - the one I have is pretty much unique to Canada. Just make sure you check out deductibles, additional breed deductibles, administation fee deductibles - and maximum payout per injury - LIFETIME and annual - watch the Lifetime one. My Cdn. plan provides coverage up to $15,000 over lifetime of dog with no limitations per condition - except for any pre-existing conditons and diseases not covered - hip dysplasia for one.
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:16 PM

Yes there is such a thing and it's Extremely helpful for the first year. Most of them cover all sets of vaccinationas as well as neutering/spaying fees. It comes down to be much cheaper!!!
Old April 7th, 2006, 04:18 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

I have VPI for Peaches and we're working on Simon's policy right now (he's had issues) and my vet has been kind enough to place all their medicinal needs under Peach since it's then covered. I couldn't ever do without it again.

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old April 7th, 2006, 07:40 PM

There are several different companies that offer pet insurance. It can be quite helpful in times when money is tight and vet bills are very expensive. Most companies offer several different plans that fit into different budgets. You have the emergency only plans which tend to be the cheapest and you have the full coverage plans that cover everything except pre-existing conditions.

Here are some links to the most popular ones:
www.petcareinsurance.com
www.petplan.com
www.vetinsurance.com
www.pcinsurance.ca

I have PetCare insurance for both Misty and Princess. Misty has had it for quite a few years now. It has been used quite often, especially recently with her cushings diagnosis, testing and medications. So far we have claimed a couple of thousand dollars worth of vet bills. I wish I had had it when Misty tore her ligaments though, that was quite an expensive treatment, all out of my own pocket!

Just like SnowDancer said, do a lot of research before you settle on one plan. Read up on all their plans and the fine print. Compare the plans from the different companies and then call them up and interview them. Find out as much as you can. You may even want to ask your veterinarian or other pet owners with insurance and ask them what their experience has been like.
Old April 8th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Senior Contributor

Just understand though if your dog has already been to the vet for specific health problems or the vet has noted a potential probelm that could affect the dog down the road, the insurance will see that as a pre-existing condition prior to signing up, so if you have repeats of the same or anything that could be related to it, that will will not be covered

For example I have a dog with a history of peridontal disease, if I sign up now and he then develops heart problems, it can be excluded because heart problems can often be caused due to bad teeth and definitely won't help for future dental costs because he also has a broken leg , lower back problems can be excuded due to compensating for the bad leg.
Old April 8th, 2006, 07:22 AM

I took health Insurance out for Kuma when I brought him home for one year, it was 300.00 for the year but did not cover, vaccinations, x-rays, blood test etc ... it only specified allergic reactions to bee stings, repair broken bones due to car accidents, or poisoning. Yes for the first year, as curious as a pup can get, it was a good idea, but when it turned cold out, and Kuma was limping I called my insurance company to see if they covered x-rays or meds and they stated they didn't, so please if you want to invest, read the fine print....
Old April 8th, 2006, 08:32 PM

my husband and I were just looking into that for our pets. It makes sense, you get medical insurance for yourself and your kids so that you are not in debt up to your eyelashes if you need to go to the doctor, and also so that you can MAINTAIN your health through regular visits, right? Well, wouldn't you do the same thing for your pets?

"A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal,
but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel."
- Proverbs 12:10
www.myspace.com/mhass1129
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

I could never imangine being without pet insurance again, It has come in very handy with an episode of porcupine quills and Keiras seizures too. It really helps take some of the stress out of "accidents and illnesses" knowing that you can get the treatment that your pet needs. I highly recommend it!!!
Old April 9th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Personal servant to Joey

we have insurance through petplan - unfortunately Joeys teeth extractions were not included and we had to pay full price for all of them - nor will any future dental work be included has now he has a pre-exsisting condition.

But I am glad that we have it because it will cover any future other ailments that come up. We pay $19 dollars a month for it.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!