Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 22nd, 2005, 09:22 AM

Koda + Royal Canin food

At the vet this week for Koda with a urinary tract infection. Vet suggested that Bichion's are subject to Bladder stones, and she suggested that we change Koda's diet to Royal Canin food special to treat Urinary problems and keep him on this for life to prevent any problems he might have with stones. She did feel his bladder and thought that possibly there was almost a sand feeling that she said could lead to these bladder stones that would have to be operated on if occured.

Koda was also given anitbotics to clear up his infection. My question is has anyone put there dog on this food and has anyone dealt with this problem in other ways then with diet ?

Prioir to this we were feeding Koda Nutro's food along with chicken, turkey, vegtables and fruit. It thought that he was getting a pretty rounded diet ? Let me know what you think - thanks
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:11 PM

It's bizarre because Royal Canin may be balanced somehow for bladder stones, but it is by no means a "good" food... I would check the ingredients and see what the order is. It's possible that with the Nutro, your dog was getting too much if one mineral that it could not metabolize. Maybe...
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:20 PM

I don't know why everyone says that Royal Canin is a "bad" food. I've discussed this with my vet, and I've been told that it is considered a "Premium" food. I don't think there is one PERFECT food out there, and not everyone will agree no matter what. Every dog is different. Some dogs may have allergies or some other type of health problem. I just find that sometimes people are too quick to judge the type of food people are providing their pets, without knowing the pets medical history.
The way I see it, if the vet thinks it's a good food, it's the best that you can afford, and it's providing [/B]YOUR pet with everything it needs, then should you not take your vet's advice?
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:29 PM

Royal Canin Urinary SO??

Both of my dogs are on this food right now. It keeps the ph level of the urine at a certain level to prevent crystals from forming. ONe thing my vet did suggest is no processed food for treats (Beggen strips/ any dog treats that are soft) The more natural the better, She said that foods with lots of additives and preservatives tend to change the ph level of urine. We are going to try 2 more months on this food, then another urine test, if everything's good again we are going to slowly change her food to a non specialized brand (something high quality) and go in for tests on a regular basis to be sure everything is good.

I believe in another post is says that this food should be used for temporary use only. I cant say for sure though
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:30 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Royal Canin

A lady I know with over 30 years experience in the dog industry now feeds all her own pets plus pets in her care for boarding Royal Canin and swears by it. This lady is extremely picky and well known in this rescue area. She deals with many special cases as well. I have never heard Royal Canine referred to as crap.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:30 PM

I've used Royal Canin for fosters and they have done really well on it, I fed the Natual Balance one and was pretty impressed with the results!

I can't see why one would call it a bad food, the ingredients are pretty darn good! Lately I am a huge fan of Natural Balance for fosters and use the duck and potato usually.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:42 PM

I posted the ingredients of SO on this thread: Royal canin SO Compare for yourself. I stay away from any food that has that much corn in it.

Here are the first few ingredients of the dry SO
RICE, GROUND CORN, CHICKEN FAT, CHICKEN MEAL, CORN GLUTEN MEAL, NATURAL FLAVORS, DRIED EGG POWDER

And here are the first few ingredients of Solid Gold Wolf King (what I feed my babies)
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract |

My big Boo has the most sensitive stomach ever (I have the vet bills to prove it) and he is perfect on this food. And it's super tasty too.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:49 PM

AH that's bad! LOL Here's the ingredients for the one I was feeding:

Royal Canin Senible Choice Natual Balance (all good stuff):

Chicken meal, brown rice, chicken, oatmeal, brewers rice, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), natural chicken flavor, dried tomato pomace, flax, fish meal, brewers dried yeast, dried egg product, canola oil, potassium chloride, salt, extract of chicory, apples, blueberries, spinach, sweet potatoes, dried kelp, dehydrated alfalfa meal, yucca schidigera extract, cloves, parsley, calendula, dandelion, basil, calcium carbonate, choline chloride, zinc proteinate, vitamin E supplement, ascorbic acid, zinc oxide, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, extract of rosemary, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, vitamin A acetate, fish oil, sage, niacin supplement, calcium pantothenate, sodium selenite, vitamin B12 supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, calcium iodate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, biotin, dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus plantarum fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, dried Lactobacillus lactis fermentation product, dried Bifidobacterium bifidum fermentation product, dried Enterococcus diacetylactis fermentation product, folic acid.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 12:52 PM

Ingredients are listed in descending order, by weight. However, the listings may be misleading. Suppose beef is listed as the first ingredient, causing you to think it is the primary ingredient. Look again. If it's followed by wheat flour, wheat germ, wheat middlings and so on, the combined wheat products may very well total much more than the beef.

Check the website this information came from.

[http://www.doberdogs.com/menu.html L]
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:10 PM

corn + itching

Thanks for all the feedback- I read back in some of the posts for Royal Canin about corn being one of the 1st 3 ingredients. It is interesting that Koda yesterday and today seems to be itching his ears like crazy where prior to changing his food he was okay. I do have the dry Urinary SO as well as the canned, as my vet wanted me to try the canned for at least 2 weeks. I see that the dry food has a different ingredient list not as much corn. I also think that Royal Canin is rather expensive food but mabye It was just compared to what I was buying. The canned SO is about $2.00 a can which lasts him 1 day. It is a really tricky thing this dog food business. I will try and get it straight this weekend - thanks
Old April 22nd, 2005, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koda's Mom
It is interesting that Koda yesterday and today seems to be itching his ears like crazy where prior to changing his food he was okay.
My dog Shadow is itching her ears alot latly aswell, I never would have thought it could be food!

Gives me something to look into now

Thanks!!!!!
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:45 PM

Oh, ya. It totally can be the food. The only reason my doggies were switched to Solid Gold Wolf King was because I coud not keep up with Jemma's ear infections. On this food, her ears are perfect.
Old April 22nd, 2005, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Oh, ya. It totally can be the food. The only reason my doggies were switched to Solid Gold Wolf King was because I coud not keep up with Jemma's ear infections. On this food, her ears are perfect.
Really!!!! Now Im excited, hopefully I get switch foods sooner then later, Belles ears are always terrible. Damn floppy ears! The last thing I need is Shadow to start having problems to! Im going to look into both Solid Gold Wolf King and Innova for when I make the switch. Ive heard such great things about both.

Thanks