Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 10th, 2010, 01:28 AM

Pet stores with return policies?

I am wondering if any pet stores in Toronto (or surrounding area) have a return policy, specifically for kittens?

My situation is as follows (you can skip if you don't care about the details):
I recently bought a condo. This condo has a rule that does not allow new owners to bring in pets (to my understanding, at least, owners who pre-date the rule being introduced can not only keep their current pets, but get new ones as well). Had I known about this from the start, I would not have bought this condo, but I only found out about it very late in the process (after making an offer, having it accepted, and paying a deposit). In fact I was very seriously contemplating walking away from the deal completely.

I found a loophole which should technically allow me to legitly (ie. complying with condo rules) have a pet, and my lawyer agrees that it should work, but there is no guarantee that it will. My understanding is (not 100% sure at this point yet) that this loophole requires me to have the pet before it gets approved by the condo.. which presents a problem: what happens if they don't approve (there is a reasonable possibility of this - the loophole does go against the spirit of the rule)?

Ideally, then I would want to be able to return the pet to the pet store (as heartbreaking as that would be..). The other alternative I have that would allow me to have a pet is bringing one "covertly" in violation of condo rules. If it ever gets discovered, however, I would be forced to either fight the rule in court or get rid of my pet (which would be much more traumatic, given I'd have had it for months/years at that point and have a much stronger bond..)

Any constructive advice appreciated.