Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old September 12th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

How is Zara doing these days? Has she settled at all with the kitties?
Old September 12th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Senior Contributor

No, DD, unfortunately Zara will always be one of those dogs that go after anything that moves. Cats, lizards, mice etc.. Haven't been able to start obedience training past recalls and sits yet. We are having to house train her and at times when you hope and pray it'll sink into her brain that all I want is for her to twinkle, she refuses to, like this morning when I urgently needed to go help a ewe in trouble lambing. She's bliss though really, it's always a worry when you take on an adult ACD. Oh, Zara hasn't walked into Pheobe, the Persian cat, in the house yet. I think she's seen her at the end of the passage before Pheobe went to hide in the lounge, fortunately Zara was on lead .
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

How could anyone resist this face?
Attached Images

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

She is stunning and I love her soulful eyes! Boy does she look content!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old September 14th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Senior Contributor

You'd wonder how her previous owner could bear to part with her, wouldn't you? His mother cried when he told her he was going to sell her. I can sympathise with her.
Old September 14th, 2011, 10:44 PM
Senior Contributor

See that's something I could never understand. A friend of mine breeds shelties. They are all champion stock and shown and titled. Medically sound before breeding etc. She'll typically keep one that seem like a winner. If it goes oversize or something she'll sell it later on. I could NEVER do that! I'd have like 50 dogs for sure. I can understand why Zara's owners mom would cry. I mean I understand the business end of it all when you're running a kennel of show dogs, but my heart just wouldn't be in that.
Old September 15th, 2011, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

DD,I've no doubt the reason your friend has so many Ch's is because she rehomes adult dogs that don't make the grade. I don't, which is why only 3 of mine were titled, also it's because I won't play the game either of course. My dogs have to do it all on their merits. Dogs are much better in pet homes though, you only need to read stories on a forum like this that show how loved these pets are to know who is the admirable owner, the people really worthy of their dogs' love and loyalty. As long as those people are finding them good pet homes, I think the dog is better off.
Old September 15th, 2011, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

GF, I probably make her sound worse than she is. She's a sweet sweet lady. Her dogs are pets, not just show dogs. She is an obedience judge and I think alot of her are obedience champions, etc. But I know she has rehomed a couple dogs that got too large or something. Obviously space limitations come into play as to how many dogs you can keep. She has six or seven right now. She does keep them into old age once their show and breeding days are over, and that said, she rarely breeds. I'd hazard to say that her best bitches have probably only been bred twice. So she's not some crazy nut burger breeder. I've just never understood how she could keep one hoping for a champion shower and then rehome it after it's not quality. She also takes back any dogs of hers that people don't want, so she's definitely not a byber. But I could never rehome one of my dogs like that show stock or not.
Old September 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I believe all that , DD, but would I ever sell a pup to her? Heck no! LOL. I could bore you with a list of reasons most of mine should have been culled but they always come before wanting that next Ch, the next new pup. Showing can be quite an addiction and there is actually a lot of peer pressure I suppose, it can be hard to resist when people around you keep bringing out promising youngsters.
Old September 16th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Love the dogs, love the ewe's although she certianly did have a look of "get this out of me" on her face. poor thing. But I imagine she'll be back to froliking and 'motherhood " duties soon. If she goes more than a few more days. I'll be surprised.
Is it possible they sit like that when they are getting the "start" of the laboring contractions. Just curious..I know ABSOLUTELY NOTHING about lambing. LOL .
Zara looks like she'll make a fine addition to the family. Sans the cat issue anyways.
(maybe she thinks she's suppose to herd, fetch the cat?) just an idea.
Old September 16th, 2011, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, I'm almost positive it was Sibi and he didn't have a mark on him, so I hope she, meaning Zara, just likes to chase.
That ewe lambed okay but the lambs and some ewes all start to look alike so I can't show you a photo. I don't think she was in labour, just very uncomfortable.
I have a poor lamb now, one from a set of twins, with a badly fractured leg , which I set before I went shopping yesterday. Haven't a clue how on earth it did it, though all the lambs are jumping up on things now so maybe it fell badly or got caught up in something . That temporary cast is too bulky so we'll redo it today, the way my vet has suggested. I noticed this morning that he was starting to put a tiny bit of weight on it, which may be a good sign.
Speaking of lambs trying to jump up on things. Ian and I had a good laugh at a lamb that was looking up at the roof of the shelter we put in the corner of a yard for a pony(my head height or more) and doing little jumps. Talk about being optomistic.
Attached Images

Old September 16th, 2011, 10:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Aw, poor lil guy. I hope the leg sets well and he's able to heal!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 17th, 2011, 12:00 AM
Unofficial Zookeeper

awwww. they are so cute at that age. I'd love to raise some...but not enough space or safety , as the inlaws have mini horses in the pasture, and they are apt to kick the little fellows/gals.
I'm sorry if I asked a stupid guestion about her possibly being in a labor induced sit. like I said..I know ZIPPTY DOODA about lambing. (or lambs for that matter).
TOO CUTE the jumping /roof story.
Have you ever done goats? just curious.
Old September 17th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I tried goats once. LOL. Found out she was pregnant, and this after her eating every plant I didn't want her to eat, so she was sold on to a goat enthusiast who was very pleased to have her.
It wasn't a stupid question re the ewe that was sitting up, because naturally I wondered about that myself, but no, she did it for a few days before going into labour. I had to help deliver her big ram lamb and he is a little beauty. I looked at the calendar to work out which lamb she had. A real nuggety little fellow that I was told today is worth retaining as a ram.
Worse has happened since the broken leg, Hazel. I lost a ewe today. Gained the 5th set of twins but this time I get to bottle feed them. Zara thinks she has gone to Heaven, being able to investigate such interesting little creatures. Because they need feeding 5 times daily for the first week I have them in a puppy pen inside, and she's had a great time slinking laps around it. My other dogs are quite used to baby lambs. I feel so sad for the mum who didn't get to see her lambs, and for the lambs as they are much better off with their mothers.
Old September 17th, 2011, 11:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's so sad, GF! Any chance you can get one of the other moms to adopt the orphans?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 18th, 2011, 12:51 AM
Unofficial Zookeeper

Well thank you for not thinking me a moron. Awww on the ewe. I know its part of lambing, sometimes you just loose one. But still sad. LOL at zarah. Who knows maybe her working with you on the sheep , may help her calm down about the cats. Good luck with the little fuzzy butts (i've always called sheep that)...and keep us posted , how they are!
Old September 18th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
That's so sad, GF! Any chance you can get one of the other moms to adopt the orphans?
I wish, but I find they can be dangerous with orphaned lambs, butting them quite hard. Actually, I did see one of the older twinnies sneak a drink off a mother that was not his own and for all I know it could have tried it once too often and it may be the one with the broken leg. I've seen a ewe butt a big lamb so hard it did a somersault over the feeder and it was actually a Dorper ewe that attacked a friend of my sisters and broke her leg in a couple of places. Great mothers to their lambs but can be a bit feral I feel.

renegaderuby, Zara has now been present for a feeding and the control I have to exercise over her to stop her from nipping the lambs should certainly help with the cat situation. I insist that every animal has equal rights here. She has all our rules to learn though, but so far I haven't regretted buying an older girl. She's a smart kid.
Old September 18th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

I think she'll always have the "urge" to chase the kitties (and whatever else)...but kinda like a unruly toddler that will "listen" to you once it knows its "a no no"...but it has to be "er um...reminded" that its a no no EACH AND EVERY SINGLE TIME. lol.
Brings me to today in church...a cute little kid..but EVERY sunday I hear "no sweet heart..you should not dig in other people's purses". Remember mommy telling you that.
Kid..ok. Dosent do it again. But sits there with this look on face like.....but it was so fun mom.
She's four. And very smart. But every sunday she just cant resist to see whats in pew mates purses. LOL
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:31 PM
Senior Contributor

That sounds just like Zara, LOL. She is inquisitive, very observant, always alert but thankfully, only hyper occassionally. I've had worse, and I'm used to telling the shelties repeatedly not to do whatever. They take it in turns you see, a blanket "No!' means nothing to them.
A good recall is a must for her I think, because when she gets the zoomies I need to change it into a recall and a nice sit in front of me rather than having her arriving flat out and leaping at me. She knocked her previous owner out cold doing that.
Old September 18th, 2011, 07:42 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

How is the lamb with the broken leg doing, GF? Better, I hope?

Old September 18th, 2011, 08:32 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

What is a zoomie? (sorry if thats a stupid guestion..but I've wonderd that since I first got on here...lol)
Old September 18th, 2011, 09:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

LOL Zoomies are those wild circuits around the yard or (if you're unlucky) around a room that your dogs take when they've got energy to burn off. You know, the tuck your butt, stiffen those legs, run as fast as you can kind of dealies?

Old September 18th, 2011, 10:01 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

OK...now I really feel "stupid". Ruby and saydee are my zoomers. Saydee could beat a grey hound in one of her zoomies. I'd bet money on it. Ruby shouldnt ZOOMIE...but she does. and heck..if she feels good enough ...I'm letting her. DARN IT!
Thank you hazel for educating this "idot"
Old September 18th, 2011, 10:11 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

We used to call them 'butt tucks' here, but when I heard the term zoomie...well, it's just so much nicer-sounding!

Old September 19th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Senior Contributor

In some cases it's the 'crazies'. LOL. I got a great short video on my Mavica camera once of Shady(sheltie) having a crazy fit. By golly she was fast. She arrived back from the first circuit and flew onto my lap, had a tiny rest then did another lap.
Old September 19th, 2011, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

GF, so sorry to hear about the ewe and the little lamb with the broken leg. Gotta love the zoomies though! Halo still gets them like crazy, Shadow unfortunately doesn't zoom now...
Old September 19th, 2011, 05:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, always sad to lose a ewe, and especially a young one. A friend up the road has sadly been losing ewes due to toxic weeds that had been washed onto their property during the floods. That lamb is tough. Nothing will chuck the towel in quicker than a sheep, yet with a real bad break he is still battling on.
The zoomies are but a dim memory for my old Perkins too, but then he wasn't into zoomies really. Some are and some aren't come to think of it, nice anyway that Zara is settled enough in her new surrounds to want to zoom.
Old September 19th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Good lord, Shadow used to zoom like the wind! It frustrated Halo to no end that she could not keep up withShadow no matter how she hustled her chubby lab butt! Shadow always had speed going for her. When we'd go to the park (when she was younger and not aggressive with others) she was always at the head of the pack racing through the fields. Everyone would stop and watch her run - seriously cars driving down the road would stop. Now they watch her tawdle across the road while they're stopped at a crosswalk waiting for us to cross. If I'm lucky she doesn't decide to poop in the middle of the road when there's traffic - it has happened though! I love zoomies!! Shadow will zoom again I am sure... in another place.

Last edited by Dog Dancer; September 20th, 2011 at 10:28 AM.
Old September 20th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Senior Contributor

That's lovely, that people would stop to watch your girl running. It is a beautiful sight, maybe one day Shadow and my Shady will be racing each other. (Longer legs should win that race.) How did you come to giver Halo that name, DD? It's nice.
Old September 20th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

GF, would be nice to have Shadow and Shady zooming together one day. As for Halo's name, I wish I could take ownership. When Shadow was in agility classes we had a Berner in the class called Halo and I always loved the name. AThat Berner was so funny, she would run (sorta) up to the fences and stop dead and then just bounce over the fence. Straight up and over. You would never have thought a dog that size could go that high up without running at it first. Anyhow, when we got Halo, in an effort to save Shadow from her S/A, she got the name, she was to be Shadow's saviour. Turns out Satan may have better suited her....