Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 27th, 2006, 12:54 PM

Help with walking my dog

I was hoping that someone could give me some basic training tips on how to make my dog not so difficult to walk. She is a 2 year-old female Rotti who weighs approximately 90 lbs. Because she is relatively strong, I have a halty that I use on her to help me control her (I know that I should have control over her without use of this). I took her out today, with the halty and a short lead. She pretty much bit at the lead (I took off the halty soon after the beginning of our walk), growled and was walking backwards (in order to bite at it). She did occasionally walk fairly close to my hip, and I kept the lead fairly taught; I praised her up a lot when she was doing this correctly, but she continues to fight/bit at the lead. Unfortunately, she looked like the media-typed vicious Rotti while she was doing this; I was embarassed and ended the walk after only about 10 minutes.

Could someone please give me some advice on basic tips for managing this behaviour; I want her to be able to go for neighbourhood walks (instead of just the conservation area where she is more free to go). Without more control, this will be difficult.
Old March 27th, 2006, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you taken her to obedience school? IF not, I really suggest you do, both to train her and teach you how to control her. Her strength and size should really have no bearing on you being able to walk her.

In the meantime, you might want to try a prong collar, but make sure someone qualified shows you how to fit it correctly! This collar is just a tool, and must be used in conjunction with training.
Old March 27th, 2006, 05:43 PM
-

I agree with Lucky Rescue...take her to obedience school. I took my husky to one and it helped but the teacher said to use a Gentle Leader (basically the same as a Haltie) on him as he`ll always want to pull.

Now Logan (60 lb.) is fine walking with me by myself and I can even control him when he just wears his harness. But I now also have a lab (80lb.) that pulls worse that Logan and there is no way I can walk them together.

I am going to try the Easyway headcollar for both of them as the leash hooks on behind the neck instead of under the neck like the Haltie and Gentle Leader so I`m hoping I`ll have more control.

If you want more info on them check out the other thread on the Easyway Headcollar.
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:30 AM

Take the head halter off her and get someone to show you how to use a prong collar. Or get a fine choke chain ...make sure it's just long enough to fit over her head so there is not a lot of excess chain hanging down. Now start your walk. Give her 1/2 of a 6' leash. When she pulls ahead of you make a sharp about turn and go the other way. When she catches up to you say" oh my goodness, what happened to you? in a nice happy cheerful voice. Try again...if she starts pulling again you turn the other way. Yes, I know you will not get far but it won't take long for her to realize that when she pulls that she won't be going anywhere. When she doesn't pull...even for a second, tell her "good girl". Always use lots of praise.

Also you don't want your dog walking at "heel" for the whole walk. Practise 10 minutes and then give them the command "free" or "break" so that the dog can have some fun time sniffing the grass and fooling around.

Most dogs hate head halters (it's a dog, not a horse) and your dog can hurt it's neck if you let them hit the end of the leash too hard. IMO, it's a crutch...your dog is still not learning to walk properly on a collar and leash when you use a halter.

Go see if you can sign up for some good obedience classes where they use praise and treats. If you can afford it do one on one training, that way the instructer is focusing on you and your dog the whole time. You'd be amazed how fast your dog will learn what is expected of it.

Last edited by rott'n rottie; March 30th, 2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old March 30th, 2006, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rott'n rottie
Take the head halter off her and get someone to show you how to use a prong collar. Or get a fine choke chain ...

Most dogs hate head halters (it's a dog, not a horse) and your dog can hurt it's neck if you let them hit the end of the leash too hard. IMO, it's a crutch...your dog is still not learning to walk properly on a collar and leash when you use a halter.

...And a prong or choke is not a crutch?? You can hurt a dog with these as well if misused.
Old March 30th, 2006, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow
I am going to try the Easyway headcollar for both of them as the leash hooks on behind the neck instead of under the neck like the Haltie and Gentle Leader so I`m hoping I`ll have more control.
I too have ordered one of these for my little guy. While I don't want to use it in place of training, Bailey still needs to be walked and my hope is that this will help to not reinforce the habit of pulling while still allowing us to enjoy a walk.

I have tried a GL but found the way the leash attached under the chin to be awkward. JMO
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:28 AM

brnlvr, I just bought one and tried it out on Sam (80 lbs of muscle) and it WORKS!!!! The easyway is way better than a halti. I had a perfectly heeling dog for the whole walk. We are in obedience too, where I insist on a flat collar (even though the trainer suggested a prong). But, on walks, I don't want to let him pull me around, and he needs his exercise!!!
I even have my two dogs on a joined leash and the easyway works very well for this too. He doesn't love the part over his nose, but he is slowly accepting it.
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:56 AM

If you can't bring yourself to use a choke or a prong then try the Sense-ation or Sense-Ible harness. It workes almost instantly. The leash attatches in front on the chest. A light upward tug (two fingers) on the leash snugs the harness forward just enough to discourage pulling.
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:42 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I have a 18 month old male rottie. I do not use a prong, or a choke, or a halti. I have done many OB classes with him to teach him correct position on a walk. Anyone can do it, just takes alot of home work. Tools are only a crutch. Try some basic OB course, they will teach you how to train her correctly. By the way my guy is about 105lbs
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:46 PM

I have to admit not reading ALL the replys to this one.... However, I do feel it necessary to input my 2 cents worth to this discussion.....
First: your dog has a bigger issue then just pulling during your walks. SHe is biting at the leash (which IS an extenstion of YOUR ARM!) she is being disrespectful and considers herself superior to you.
*this needs to change ASAP in order for you to be able to properly train her*

I'd love to go into detail, but, It would take me all day to type in the info on this... Do a search of the forums for NILIF (nothing in life is free) training methods. Find it, Read it, USE IT! You will see changes in her behaviour in leaps and bounds if done correctly.

Good Luck with her... Rotti's are ALMOST as nice as my Dobie is
Old March 30th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Thanks!

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts; I will look into some local obedience classes to help her learn to walk on leash appropriately. I live in the London/St. Thomas area, so if anyone has any recommendations on good classes/instructors, I'd appreciate it. Thanks again!
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
brnlvr, I just bought one and tried it out on Sam (80 lbs of muscle) and it WORKS!!!! The easyway is way better than a halti. I had a perfectly heeling dog for the whole walk. We are in obedience too, where I insist on a flat collar (even though the trainer suggested a prong). But, on walks, I don't want to let him pull me around, and he needs his exercise!!!
I even have my two dogs on a joined leash and the easyway works very well for this too. He doesn't love the part over his nose, but he is slowly accepting it.
Excellent, just the feedback I was hoping to hear. I currently walk them with a leash in each hand but would ideally like to have a joined one.

Thanks so much for the input phoenix
Old March 30th, 2006, 01:57 PM

(sorry to hijack for a second)
If you are looking for a joined leash, I highly recommend that you get one with a swivel where the Y starts. This way, if the dogs switch places, you don't get tangled up. I am really happy with mine, I got it at Petsmart but I don't remember the brand. I remember the label said it was invented by a young kid (11 or 12) who kept getting tangled up with his 2 dogs! Anyway its brilliant.
Old March 31st, 2006, 01:26 PM
-

I was thinking of getting one of those joined leashes but someone told me they were a bad idea. They said that if you were ever attacked by a dog and had to let go of the leash your dogs would be at greater risk being joined together. Better safe than sorry???
Old March 31st, 2006, 02:25 PM

Yes, i guess if they were attacked they would have less of a chance to run away...
I think that's a pretty far fetched scenario though, since I never have them on leash around other dogs. (sam is leash aggressive to other dogs except maia). But I guess it COULD happen. I'm not sure if a dog would attack my two, they're pretty intimidating.
The worst thing about the joined leash is that if both pull in the same direction, you're in trouble. The best thing about it is that Sam is teaching Maia to walk alongside us.