Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old March 26th, 2008, 10:38 AM
-

Hazel - Thanx, since SARAH hi-jacked my thread with pictures of her Beautiful indoor plants.

14+kitties, I was hoping that you was lurking around. I intend to keep them in pots, I want to try and overwinter them until they finally croak on me. Being the nice person I am I want to share with my plant Buddy.
They are not big enough to shape the tops, don't know if they will be this year. The basement has a dim light, so I have two options, bring them up to the main floor, but I don't know if it will be too hot at night. Or put them in the vestibule, where it is about the same temperature as the basement, maybe a bit cooler even. Do you think that after I re-pot them, that I should leave them in the same conditions that they are used to for a period of time until they acclimatize?

You said that you are growing some, have you grown them before? They are so pretty. You are the Pro, I need your Info
Old March 26th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
Hazel - Thanx, since SARAH hi-jacked my thread with pictures of her Beautiful indoor plants.

OOPS
Old March 26th, 2008, 05:25 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You can repot now, bring them up to the main floor. I would not put them too close to a window but close enough (foot or so away) that they can get some sun for the first week. Then move them closer to the window - North or West facing one. The heat won't bother them. My greenhouse can go up to 95 during the day and goes down to 60 at night. From the research I have done on lantana it says not lower than 55 degrees.
Right now mine are seedlings. I have wanted to try growing them for a while. This subject actually got me going on them. They are doing great even with the temp fluctuations. By selling season I should have a few a good size. If not I will wait till next year to offer them.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 26th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Lantanas are great for hot summers! They like it near a drippy faucet. When I was a kid I called them "Mudpie Flowers" because I used them to decorate my mudpies. When you pull them apart, they separate into a bunch of little individual flowers.
Old March 27th, 2008, 09:11 AM
-

Thanks 14+kitties. I will let you know how it goes. Also will want to see photos of your efforts.

Glassless-you live in California, we can replace the mud with snow, I don't think that it is leaving this year, so the Lantana just might have to spend the whole year in the house.
Old March 27th, 2008, 07:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You are welcome Chris. Pics coming once seedlings get bigger. Right now they don't look very impressive. Just a bunch of green stuff.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM
-

Mine is just a bunch of green stuff too. I just have visions of the ones I saw the Town of Newmarket had in barrels last summer. They were about 4ft tall, I have no idea how long they take to get to that height. My girlfriend who lives in town said the town does them theirselves, I think I will try to find out something from them, even if it is the Nursery they buy them from, I can't seem to find much on-line.
Old March 28th, 2008, 09:48 AM
-

I started this thread in January and said spring is just around the corner, I should have kept my mouth shut.

When I was at Canada Blooms a couple of weeks ago, I bought some Lily bulbs, I was thinking of potting them now, so that they are already on the go when I plant them (if ever the day arrives), is that a good idea or no?
Old March 28th, 2008, 12:09 PM
150% PRO S/N

I think Lantana takes a while to get to the 4 foot bushy stage. I have never seen it that big here. Just smaller plants. So it will be a year or so you are taking yours in for the winter.
You could start your lily and other bulbs now if you want. Depends on how early you want lilies. I think they are beautiful any time. I started a few from seed last year in the greenhouses and got flowers this year. Actually - that's the pic in my avatar.
I took the following off a web site. Maybe it will help.

About three weeks after starting the bulbs, when they're only 2 to 4 inches tall, they begin setting buds. Every day after that calls for monitoring and manipulation because the number of buds is determined by the temperature.

"You can turn the same size bulb into a four-flower plant or a 10-flower plant, depending on the temperature," Jeff explains. "Obviously, you want as many buds as possible so you get as many flowers as possible."

But you don't want them to flower too quickly, which makes an early Easter a juggling act. Once the buds start, the thermostat drops. "If you lower the temperature to 55, you'll get amazing bud-set," Jeff adds. "You can do that with a late Easter, but with an Easter as early as this year, the minimum you can go is 60 degrees."

Jeff and crew patrol the pots regularly, pulling out plants that are too far along. If they look too close to popping, they go into cold storage to slow their growth down. The idea is for them to be in full splendor by Easter Sunday.

"As the holiday gets closer, you raise the temperature so the buds get puffy," Jeff tells me. "It doesn't take much for them to pop. But you want them to open for the customer, not you."

We're in lily-land now, and the long greenhouse tables are filled with tray after tray of potted plants. They're tall and regal with dark green leaves and buds that are swelling just enough to show a hint of white. There isn't a flower to be seen yet. Of course, there are just a mere 2,000 lilies in this particular greenhouse. Easter lilies don't mind closeness - six 6½-inch pots crowd happily into a single tray. Keil's produces about 23,000 plants; 80 percent go to churches and the rest to flower shops.

One good thing about Easter lilies is that you can grow them on the dry side. If they sit in water, they'll get root rot, which feeds their archenemy - bulb mites. That's why Jeff waters the lilies himself. "That way, I know who to blame if they rot," he says.

He looks around the greenhouse. Nothing's rotting, and half the crop is still in cold storage. So far, so good. "We start shipping two weeks before Easter," he says. "The first week, no one wants to see a flower; by the second week, if there are no flowers, everyone is screaming. And two days after Easter, who wants an Easter lily?"

Until next Easter, anyway. Jeff Keil is already breathing a sigh of relief. Easter 2009 falls on April 12.

Tips on caring for your lilies

Be strong. Resist buying Easter lilies in full flower - you're better off picking a plant with buds in various stages of bloom.

And if you want your lily to keep going, let it chill, with daytime temperatures between 60 and 65 degrees, in bright, indirect sunlight. Keep it away from drafts, fireplaces, heaters and cats, too, since Easter lilies can cause renal failure in felines.

Remember, lilies don't like wet feet, so make sure there's a drainage hole in the pot. Also, remove the decorative foil or wrapping so water doesn't sit. Flowers will last longer if you pluck off the yellow anthers at the center of the bloom - and you won't have to worry about pollen staining your carpet. After your lily finishes its show, move it to a sunny spot and feed it a teaspoon of slow-release fertilizer every six weeks.

You can plant your Easter lily outdoors once all danger of frost is past; late May is safe. Prepare a sunny, well-drained site with organic matter. Plant the bulb 3 inches deep, then mound another 3 inches of soil over the bed.

If you're planting more than one bulb, space them about 12 inches apart, and water; mulch later in the season. When the foliage fades, cut back the stem. You might see a second blooming this summer, but chances are you'll have to wait until next July. If you want Lilium longiflorum to grace your Easter table next year, you'll just have to buy another. - Irene Virag

Old March 29th, 2008, 11:00 AM
-

Thanks again 14+kitties, you are just a fountain of information. The bulbs I bought aren't Easter Lillies, some asiatic and some orientals. Sounds awfully complicated though. I think I will put them straight in the garden, there they will get the temperature drops naturally, it's kind of difficult in the house. Plus living in a church, our windows start about 4ft. off the floor and are not that big.
Old April 3rd, 2008, 09:31 AM
-

14+kitties,,,,,,,,,,,,One of my Lantans dropped all of its leaves?
Old April 3rd, 2008, 10:57 AM
150% PRO S/N

Chris - don't panic!!! Lantanas drop their leaves when they are stressed. It is possible that separating it is what did it. Give it a few weeks, cut back a bit on the watering (once a week unless soil is absolutely dried out), see what happens. I wouldn't worry too much. They are pretty tough plants.
Did you prune it back at all? That may encourage new leaves as well. I think patience is the best thing. And I know, it's hard. I go through the same thing every year wondering if I am going to have enough saleble plants too.
Hang in there and good luck.

Old April 4th, 2008, 10:02 AM
-

I didn't prune it, it was the baby one that when I first brought them in and cut them back, i thought was a goner then about 6 weeks later it started to sprout, then when I split them I left it with one of the others as I didn't want to disturb it and I put them in the window (on the north side) and it dropped the leaves one by one

I will leave it there and hope it comes back the others seem OK so far, when should I start giving them some fertilizer? Sorry to ask so much.
Old April 4th, 2008, 07:07 PM
150% PRO S/N

Np Chris. I don't mind. You can give the plants a weak fertilizer every time you water from now until you put them outside. About 1/4 the strength it will get once it is outside and growing well. Don't forget to harden it off before putting it outside full time. It will need a very short period of time (1/2 hour to 1 hour) day one, doubled day 2, doubled again day 3, as long as it isn't showing signs of stress by then on day 4 you should be able to leave it out. You probably already knew that.

Old April 5th, 2008, 06:07 PM
-

Thanks 14+kitties. I used Fish Emulsion fertilizer last summer for my pots. I'll use the same again this year. I'll be really chuffed if they flourish. Finally the weather is breaking. I was thinking of putting them outside tomorrow for a spell, but it is a long ways off before things can stay out overnight. Probably is better to hold off for a while?
Old April 5th, 2008, 06:10 PM
150% PRO S/N

No, it's nice tomorrow. They would be ok for an hour. Just watch for signs of stress. I have the side of my bigger greenhouse open. It hit over 100 in there today. I open it during the day and close it at night as long as the weather is good. Fish emulsion is good.

Old July 9th, 2008, 09:58 AM
-

14+k - I have buds forming on my Lantana. Anything much happening on yours? I have noticed them in a few plant centres this year where other years I never saw them. Maybe I just wasn't looking. I haven't been to Newmarket for a few weeks, so I don't know if the town has them this year or not. Next time I go I will have a lookie and if they do will take a pic and post.
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:04 AM
150% PRO S/N

Nope, not yet. I think this year they will probably just grow a little. They are still in the greenhouse. I will keep an eye on them.
It's great yours is coming back and budding. See, you need faith in yourself! Once the flowers open you have to post pics!
That would be great if you got pics in Newmarket. I don't know when we will get back there. We should go soon to see my son's new apartment but time and circumstances just won't allow right now.
for some good buds!!!

Old July 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

You definitely need to post pics when it blooms, Chris!

Don't you love it when you get a plant to bloom for the first time!? I always feel so accomplished until hazel's moldy thumb takes over and it dies...but at least I get to see it bloom once!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:45 AM
-

I have a giant moldy thumb Hazel. This years garden is an enigma to me. Some plants didn't come back, others did and are as miserable as sin. They are going to my g/f who takes all my 'me no like you no more plants'. Others are doing better than other years. Also plants that never seem to get bothered by bugs, this year they are. Needless to say I'm scratching my head.

For sure I'll take pics, this little baby I nurtured all winter in the basement.

14+k maybe next time you come to Newmarket we could get together for a coffee, non?
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:53 AM
150% PRO S/N

I would LOVE to do coffee Chris! Will probably be in the early fall though before I make it.
Last year we had the heat. This year we have bugs. Can't win lately. I have some plants I started that I need to spray and put back in the greenhouse to protect them. It's too bad but not much we can do. I don't like using spray on the plants. Not great for the environment and a lot of plants don't like them. They are more harmful than the actual bug.
Have you tried soapy water on the plants to get rid of the bugs? Put dish soap in a spray bottle (approx 2 tbsp), fill with water, and spray right on bugs on the plant. It's harmless to plants but you may want to rinse off so it doesn't form a film.

Last edited by 14+kitties; July 11th, 2008 at 04:31 PM. Reason: doens't? LOL
Old July 11th, 2008, 10:37 AM
-

Looking forward to it 14k. Haven't done the soapy water thingy yet, but will do it this weekend. My mini roses that all the leaves got hit by some little creature, I chopped them back to zilch, think they will come back though. If they don't
Old July 11th, 2008, 04:31 PM
150% PRO S/N

Mini roses are tricky sometimes. I thought yours looked more like a fungus but sometimes it's hard to tell with pictures. It's really hard to tell if they will come back or not. All you can do is cross your fingers. They may not show any sign of life till next year.
My bee balm is open now. It has some rust on it but still looks neat. It's right up against the gazebo so we won't be sitting out there for a while. Bees really do like bee balm. Go figure.

Old July 12th, 2008, 05:13 PM
-

Well if the roses come back, so be it. I have been trying to give them to my g/f for a couple of years, they really do not fit with what I have in this jumbled mind of mine. The Hubby says to give them to him, which means I still have them

My little bit of Bee Balm is flowering too, it always reminds me of a Play-Doh kit that Ethel had when she was small, where you made hair of it. Mine is red and this year I am not seeing many bees around at all. Bumble Bees in particular are near zilch :sad:
Old August 23rd, 2010, 11:44 AM
-

My Lantana's 4th Summer

My Lantana is still living and breathing ....this summer is it's 4th summer with me so I thought I would post a pic.

Name:  lantana 4th summer.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  63.4 KB

In the pot there are 2 plants and I want to separate them into 2 pots since they are getting a bit rootbound....Opinions 1) can I?, 2) should I do it now or wait until Spring when I bring them back outside?

nb photo doesn't do it justice, the colours are far more vibrant.....sigh I tried
Old August 23rd, 2010, 12:20 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
My Lantana is still living and breathing ....this summer is it's 4th summer with me so I thought I would post a pic.

In the pot there are 2 plants and I want to separate them into 2 pots since they are getting a bit rootbound....Opinions 1) can I?, 2) should I do it now or wait until Spring when I bring them back outside?

nb photo doesn't do it justice, the colours are far more vibrant.....sigh I tried
It's doing really really well Chris!! Great job!!
Yes, you can separate them. Try waiting till spring just before you start bringing them back from dormancy. If you do it now it would be a sign for them to start producing more roots and foliage. Wrong time of the year to be doing that unless you planned on doing cuttings and such over the winter.
Wonderful plant!! I wish I could have had more luck/time/energy to work with mine. Maybe this winter.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:33 PM
-

Will wait until Spring then 14k I don't want to stop it flowering.

As far as work, there is no work involved...when the temp drops I just bring it in the house. Now that Daisy is no longer with us it is in the back room and gets plenty of light. I try to remember to water it once a week...it generally drops a few leaves over the winter but a week or two of going back outside starts sprouting
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:37 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Will wait until Spring then 14k I don't want to stop it flowering.

As far as work, there is no work involved...when the temp drops I just bring it in the house. Now that Daisy is no longer with us it is in the back room and gets plenty of light. I try to remember to water it once a week...it generally drops a few leaves over the winter but a week or two of going back outside starts sprouting
I know! You have a perfect set up!! I have to clean out my greenhouse before I can start back to work on seeding and such. Even then I can not keep it going over the winter. It is too expensive to put oil in. Especially now with the HST. It's gonna be tough to keep the house and shop going. My only alternative to keeping things going over the winter is to bring them in the house and put them in the basement. I hate out basement stairs. They are steep and scary!! But once I get a few plants going again I may do that. I did make some headway in one garden today.

Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:52 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
I did make some headway in one garden today.
You're a better woman that me then, I thought about it, decided it was too gloomy to garden....I'm a fair weather gardener .

I'll try and get a Lantana going in a pot and see how it goes, I'm not sure when to plant the seed...are the seeds inside the black berrie or is that the seed?
Old August 23rd, 2010, 04:59 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
You're a better woman that me then, I thought about it, decided it was too gloomy to garden....I'm a fair weather gardener .

I'll try and get a Lantana going in a pot and see how it goes, I'm not sure when to plant the seed...are the seeds inside the black berrie or is that the seed?
I did the big raised garden. My bro and his wife are coming for a visit on Wed. so I wanted to try to get some weeds gone before they get here. I got all the weeds out and moved some of the lilies and a ground cover into it. Still have tons of room for more things I want to move from other gardens. No rest........

I'm trying to remember. I know you gave me a seed last year and I forgot to start it this year. I have ordered some before but they didn't do well. I think it would be inside the berry. My brain isn't functioning right now.