Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old December 18th, 2012, 03:00 PM

Exclamation Why is my cat is screaming/howling at my other cats and what can I do about it????

I have 4 cats, all spayed, except for the youngest, a 4 month old boy. One of my cats, Checkers, won't stop howling/screaming at two of the others. For some reason she's fine with our oldest cat. Nothing that's routine has been changed recently, all the cats were getting along fine until Saturday. Now, whenever she locks eyes with the other two, she starts freaking out and screaming/growling/howling/groaning at them. The vet said that she wasn't in any pain and has no reason to be doing this, other than she might be a little stressed. We tried giving her Rescue Remedy, a natural stress reliever, but it doesn't help. So far, our only solution is to keep Checkers and our other two cats separate. I've kept her in my room overnight and throughout the day. I'm really frustrated, worried, and stressed, and I really need a solution to this. Please, can anyone tell me what might be wrong and what I could do about it?
Old December 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

You can try this...it should work..

If you have some baby powder get some on your hands and give each kitty a rub with it...this makes them smell the same and should hopefully stop the screaming!! Some folks try this with a dab of vanilla under the chin. I have heard the vanilla is a calming effect on them as well.

Hope it works...let us know!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 18th, 2012, 09:27 PM

I'll try it. She never freaks out unless she sees them, but if theres a chance it could be how they smell, I'll try it. Thanks.
Old December 18th, 2012, 11:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernalien View Post
I have 4 cats, all spayed, except for the youngest, a 4 month old boy. One of my cats, Checkers, won't stop howling/screaming at two of the others. For some reason she's fine with our oldest cat. Nothing that's routine has been changed recently, all the cats were getting along fine until Saturday. Now, whenever she locks eyes with the other two, she starts freaking out and screaming/growling/howling/groaning at them. The vet said that she wasn't in any pain and has no reason to be doing this, other than she might be a little stressed. We tried giving her Rescue Remedy, a natural stress reliever, but it doesn't help. So far, our only solution is to keep Checkers and our other two cats separate. I've kept her in my room overnight and throughout the day. I'm really frustrated, worried, and stressed, and I really need a solution to this. Please, can anyone tell me what might be wrong and what I could do about it?
Are all your other female cats? If they're maybe your male it ready to mate and your other cats are acting out. Are you going to get your male cat
neutered, that might help with all the screaming.
Old December 19th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Contributor

Is her hearing OK? Some deaf cats howl. I have two. From your description it doesn't sound the same but simple to check and might be good to know.
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:26 AM

She's still screaming. Our male cat is getting neutered today, but Checkers is still screaming at one of my older spayed cats. We tried the powder thing, and it didn't work, and none of the vet recommended things have worked. This morning we let her get close to the older cat and she seemed fine. Then they locked eyes, and Checkers flipped out. We can't seem to figure this out.
Old December 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Have you ever tried using Feliway? It's a synthetic version of the "happy" cheek pheromones cats use to rub on stuff to remind them of good times. Can help relieve anxiety in some cats. I'd recommend trying a couple of diffusers in areas of your home where the cats commonly hang out.

I wonder if something happened (like a loud noise or something), that scared Checkers while she was in the presence of one of your other cats and she now associates her with that scary incident. Some things you could do to help re-establish a better relationship between them is to create positive associations while they're together. Give them their favourite treats or some tasty morsels of canned low sodium salmon or sardines when they're at a distance that doesn't cause Checkers too much stress. Slowly move the treats closer. Also play therapy can be useful. Have someone play with one cat while you play with another, using a wand or fishing rod type of toy, until Checkers forgets what she's mad about.

Good luck!!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Is her hearing OK? Some deaf cats howl. I have two. From your description it doesn't sound the same but simple to check and might be good to know.
I had to LOL about this as I will talk loud if I am not wearing my HA. I heard of dogs having white fur being deaf , would that be the same with cats?
Old December 20th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernalien View Post
She's still screaming. Our male cat is getting neutered today, but Checkers is still screaming at one of my older spayed cats. We tried the powder thing, and it didn't work, and none of the vet recommended things have worked. This morning we let her get close to the older cat and she seemed fine. Then they locked eyes, and Checkers flipped out. We can't seem to figure this out.
It there any food or toys around that Checkers feel belongs to her and does not want to share?
Old December 20th, 2012, 09:07 PM

Actually, you're bang on on the noise thing. Bear Scout's tail was stepped on right before Checkers started screaming. Checkers, Bear Scout and our other cat Elise (which she's also screaming at) were all in the same area. I'll try the recommendation, thank you so much!

P.S. We are trying Feliway, but it hasn't had a noticeable effect yet. We also tried Rescue Remedy, which also hasn't done much to ease the situation.
Old December 20th, 2012, 11:32 PM

Has Checkers been to the vet for a check up recently?

What ages are Checkers and the other cats? If any are 13+ years old it's recommended they go in for full blood work & urinalysis to check for issues related to kidneys, thyroid, liver etc

Animals can sometimes sense when something is wrong with those around them be it a simple ear infection or something more serious.

Hope you can get this figured out soon

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 27th, 2012, 03:24 PM

Exclamation Mating Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
Are all your other female cats? If they're maybe your male it ready to mate and your other cats are acting out. Are you going to get your male cat
neutered, that might help with all the screaming.
This was my first thought as well. This screaming cat could be competing with the other females for mating rights, and this is her bizarre way of doing it?

Tags
cats, emergency, howling, screaming