Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM
-

I second the how's Molly doing today ?
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:24 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'll third that! I hope all your furries' tummies are better today!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 7th, 2008, 01:30 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
How's Molly today?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I second the how's Molly doing today ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'll third that! I hope all your furries' tummies are better today!

Yes.....we need an update.
Old December 7th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Update time....

We had a good drive to the city... despite it taking four hours cause I was scared to death of the slippery roads and the fact that I didn't have the snow tires on yet (I put them in the car for extra weight though Hopefully I can get them put on after we see the vet tomorrow)

Tummies are not doing well ... actually, no real change, I guess that could be good (as opposed to them getting worse)
Molly ate a tiny bit of boiled chicken this am but that's it. Yesterdays rice came out in poop this am (only minorly formed but mostly runny) sorry about the details

After our long trip she had a couple of sips of water but i've decided to not even offer food for now, just in case the vet needs her with an empty tummy. She was eager to play ball as soon as we got out of the car so she still has her "get up and go", which is very good. We are staying at a hotel and our room is on the second floor, she was a bit pooped after climbing the stairs for the second time but that's understandable.

Right now she is sprawled across the entire queen size bed (covered with a doggy blanket, of course!) and i'm typing away stuffed in a little corner. She's snoozing but having incredible dreams again, lots of running, twitching and yipping going on. Bad smells and tonnes of tummy noises too.

We'll be waiting at the vets when they open at 8am!

OK.... any suggestions of test I should ask for, questions I should ask?

I've got to get as much info in this visit as absolutely possible... if I haven't lost my job already by taking a "sick" day tomorrow, i'm not gonna get another day to get back to the vet any time soon :sad::sad:

and... not to forget the kitties... they were both active (unusually wanting to play ) and eating as usual when I left. My neighbor will check on them but I think they are OK, just upset with all the odd food and stress.

Fewf! sorry about the long post!
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Sending for you and Molly.....you're such a devoted mom to her! I'm glad you made it to town safely.

I don't really have any advise....but I think it's a very good sign that she's still playful.

Best of luck tomorrow
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:04 PM
-

omg otter , having to drive 4 hours on slippery road , pay for a motel and take a day off ? I'm so sorry :sad: you HAVE to find yourself a vet BF

Molly sounds like she's doing good after all , wanting to play , silly girl !

I don't have any advice but to write everything down for your vet , last time she ate , poop , puke etc ....

You're such a good dog mom otter, thank you so much for taking such great care of Molly , she's very lucky to have you

Good luck for tomorrow
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for all the good wishes

I'm just hoping we can find an answer ... and it's something we can deal with

I really have to start thinking about moving somewhere closer to vet service... hmmmm maybe a job at a vet clinic
I'm going to apply to run the new Golden Retriever Sanctuary that Canadian Golden Rescue is fundraising for
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
I'm going to apply to run the new Golden Retriever Sanctuary that Canadian Golden Rescue is fundraising for
A GR Sanctuary ?
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:14 PM
-

Awww, Otter, what an incredible mom you are.

Glad that Molly is still being playful.....that is a good sign.

I would definitely write down everything on a piece of paper tonight that's been going on and take it to the vet tomorrow. Also, get a blood panel done and perhaps xrays if your vet feels they are needed.

I would still offer Molly something to eat as the only reason I can think of right now is that an empty stomach is only required if she needs to be put under.

Good luck and will be thinking of you tomorrow.
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:16 PM
-

Quote:
I really have to start thinking about moving somewhere closer to vet service... hmmmm maybe a job at a vet clinic
That would be an awesome job for you?

Where are they located?
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
A GR Sanctuary ?
Yup... they had an "ad" for it in the latest newsletter. They are raising money to buy some land to have a place for animals that can't get adopted or need rehabilitation before they find a home. The kind of place that every pets.ca member has dreamed about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Awww, Otter, what an incredible mom you are.
Glad that Molly is still being playful.....that is a good sign.

I would definitely write down everything on a piece of paper tonight that's been going on and take it to the vet tomorrow. Also, get a blood panel done and perhaps xrays if your vet feels they are needed.

I would still offer Molly something to eat as the only reason I can think of right now is that an empty stomach is only required if she needs to be put under.

Good luck and will be thinking of you tomorrow.
I'm so silly, I kept notes and I left them at HOME I'm trying to recreate all that has gone on.
I thought no food cause sometimes they have to be put under for xrays (though I'd hope not, I think Molly would lie still for them ) I just didn't want to have anything to have to wait cause she had something in her tummy. Now that she's snoozing away I don't think i'll wake her to eat. If she get up I'll offer something. I also gotta keep in mind we are on the second floor of a motel and it's a long walk to get outside if things don't agree with her
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
That would be an awesome job for you?
Where are they located?
I think I might have a tough fight on my hands to get a job like that
Wouldn't it be great though
I'm not sure if they have an actual location yet.. probably southern Ontario??

Man o man Molly is stinking up the place I'm gonna have to pay extra for fumigation services
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:46 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Wow, a GR Sanctuary! Would that be cool or what?!

Make sure to take some stool in with you to the vet tomorrow...if Molly cooperates in the morning. It won't be any good frozen, so if you collected it tonight you'd have to bring it into the room with you and that would be ...plus the cleaning staff would have to air the room... ...so that she obliges you tomorrow morning and you have a bag or a container to transport it in.

Other than that, your vet should know what to check for.

So is the weather going to clear up for your return trip tomorrow?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 7th, 2008, 08:48 PM
-

Quote:
Yup... they had an "ad" for it in the latest newsletter. They are raising money to buy some land to have a place for animals that can't get adopted or need rehabilitation before they find a home. The kind of place that every pets.ca member has dreamed about
WOW ! I sure hope they can do this , are they near their target moneywise ? This is the Ontario Golden Rescue ?
Old December 7th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Wow, a GR Sanctuary! Would that be cool or what?!

Make sure to take some stool in with you to the vet tomorrow...if Molly cooperates in the morning. It won't be any good frozen, so if you collected it tonight you'd have to bring it into the room with you and that would be ...plus the cleaning staff would have to air the room... ...so that she obliges you tomorrow morning and you have a bag or a container to transport it in.

Other than that, your vet should know what to check for.

So is the weather going to clear up for your return trip tomorrow?
Darn... I put some from this morning in a cooler to bring with us but it's probably frozen now. for something in the am
The room is gonna need some airing anyways.... Molly is stinking the place up without any help from fresh poop

I'm for good weather.

Quote:
WOW ! I sure hope they can do this , are they near their target moneywise ? This is the Ontario Golden Rescue ?
It's the "Canadian Golden Retriever Adoption Service" officially. Though I think they are mostly in Ontario.
No idea on the $$ part... I know they've had some challenges but not alot of info out there about it.
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Doggie Wench

What an awesome mom Molly has . Hope all goes well at the vets tomorrow .
Old December 7th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks LP
Old December 7th, 2008, 11:17 PM
ZiggyZuzuZoeyRaggzy&Keena

Wow Otter, I was so hoping it would have passed by today :sad:

Four hours drive and a hotel room

When Ginger was sick they wanted to do blood tests and an xray (to see if there was something pressing on her tummy) I opted first for the blood tests as we had had one done last year and at least had a baseline to go from. They told me she would not have had to be put under for the xrays, which we did not end up doing anyways.

Luckily for me the vet is only 7 mins away so we started with the blood test. In the time I was home waiting for the results she seemed to be settling down so I went into slo mo for the rest of the tests ($$$)

Do try to get some food into her if you can as it could be the emptiness now that is making her feel yucky.

Do let us know what the vet says but I am sure things will seem better tomorrow.

Last edited by diandpat; December 8th, 2008 at 07:52 AM. Reason: third paragraph was not clear...clarified
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:07 AM
-

Good luck at the vet......will be thinking of you and have a safe drive back home again.
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

For Molly and a safe drive home
4 hours to a vet,that's incredible+hotel,I wish I could send you one of our vets,we seem to have a vet in every street-corner.

Old December 8th, 2008, 07:59 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Good Luck Otter with Molly...I cant imagine being so far from a vet? It must scare you!

Keep us posted on your stinky girl!!!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 8th, 2008, 09:17 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Old December 8th, 2008, 09:19 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

good luck today Otter and Molly and please drive safe...
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
For Molly and a safe drive home
4 hours to a vet,that's incredible+hotel,I wish I could send you one of our vets,we seem to have a vet in every street-corner.
Please, please, please send one!!!!

Thanks for all the prayers.... I think we're gonna need them.

I've had to leave Molly at the vets i'm sitting here in the parking lot of the motel crying cause i'm scared to death.
The vet is "quite concerned" cause she's lost a lot of muscle mass (how could I not notice ) and she felt a "mass" in her tummy :sad: and she's quite pale (gums I guess) :sad:
So, x-rays and blood work it is... at first they didn't want to do blood work, just the x-rays and I got her (the vet) to reconsider.

My poooooooor baby :sad:
I can't believe there may have been something I could have caught a month ago and didn't (I thought her not great eating which has been a battle for a while was just her being picky cause we were trying to switch to new food). I had her in at the vet about a month ago but she wasn't worried and I didn't press for more testing/checking. If this is something bad i'm never going to forgive myself

So... I'll give the vet a call at lunch time and drop by and see my girl (I think they are less busy in the office when all the Dr.s are out for lunch) otherwise it might not be until early afternoon (3pm) before I hear anything. What a HORRIBLE day.

My boss was also not happy with my phone call this morning but, phooooooooooooooooooey on work My baby is sick and that's all that matters to me. Give me a break

Plus.... 10 more cm's of snow coming down.
Shoot me now!

I'll try and update again if I can find free wifi somewhere in town later.

Please and 's for Miss Molly

Thanks everyone
Old December 8th, 2008, 10:13 AM
The Pack's Head Servant

Definitely s and sending , otter!!

Don't shoot yourself, otter You're a great doggy mommy!!!!

Old December 8th, 2008, 01:51 PM
-

Try to stay positive, Otter.

Sending lots and lots of prayers and good wishes.
Old December 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thanks for keeping us updated, otter.

Sending some more and your way.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sending lots of ers, and and yours and Molly's way. I hope it isn't anything too serious.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 8th, 2008, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Otter,please,please don't beat yourself up,you've given Molly a wonderful home and hopefully she'll have more time with you
Although,I am checking tummies all the time,we can easily miss something,we are no vets.
to you and lots of to Molly,she just has to be ok
Old December 8th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Sending good vibes your way! Otter..Stay strong Miss Molly...were all thinking of you!

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 8th, 2008, 07:02 PM
-

otter , please never blame yourself. You are totally devoted to Molly and the kitties. You are doing so much for all of them.

I'm still hoping there's nothing serious with Molly

I'm hoping the roads will be ok on your way back home , take your time.