Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 14th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Cat hurt VERY bad

my cat was missing for a day finaly this morning my mother woke me up to say that baby was stuck in a hole on the porch that i had missed in my search for him we FINALY got him out and hes got a very big hole on his hind right thigh near the base of his tail... he needs to get to the vet NOW but my mom just had a spinal surgery and can not drive.. i cant find any mobile vets... any ideas? i need help asap
Old September 14th, 2005, 10:55 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Take a taxi, take a bus..
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Here is a site, http://www.parrotpro.com/avianlst.htm#usa

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Senior Contributor

bus is likely not an option, as we slaves to public transport know, "NO PETS ON THE BUS!!" SOme taxis will take you, but it will cost more (you have to tell them when you call), what about asking a neighbour who has a car?
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

hmmm, Badger takes cats on public transit regularly in a carrier I believe?
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm soooooo jealous!!!
sorry.. off topic.
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:12 AM
Rottie owner and lover

I have taken my puppy on the bus, when he was a baby. As long as you carry them, NP, or in a carrier
Old September 14th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

More. Mountain View Veterinary Hospital
13914 NE 16th Ave
Vancouver WA 98685
Phone: (360) 574-7290
FAX: (360) 574-1021
Vancouver Tyee Veterinary Service
Jack Giesy, DVM
PO Box 65635
Vancouver WA 98665
Phone: (360) 574-2281
FAX: (360) 574-9403
jggiesy@pacifier.com

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old September 14th, 2005, 12:42 PM

thank you so much all of you i finaly got a hold of my sister who lives about 60 miles from me shes taking him to the vet hes got a very big hole in his hind right thigh and theres about an apple size circle around it missing skin and he wont move his tail his leg keeps twitching and im hoping its just the pain hes been sleeping off and on this entire time so hopefully he'll be ok we dunno how he got into the lil hole or how he got hurt or why but all i can think of is he got hurt and ran in there to hide or to get away from something i hope hes going to be ok
Old September 14th, 2005, 02:01 PM

I'm so very glad your cat is getting the care it needs. Do you think maybe a dog bit it? Or, hopefully not, somebody shot it?

I hope your cat, and your mom, are both going to be okay.

Please keep us updated!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old September 14th, 2005, 03:16 PM

UPDATE:
they got baby to the vet... hes banged up very bad... they dont think hes going to make it... they arent sure if he was attacked or if he was hit by a car.. they're leaning towards the latter... he's paralyzed from the waist down.. altho i saw him moving his hind legs earlier.. but he cant now... they're doing everything they can to try and help him
maybe if we would have gotten him to the vet sooner he would survive
Old September 14th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Sorry to hear that. With injuries that extensive a difference in time probably will not have made a difference. I hope that he's able to hold on and make it through. I'll keep him in my prayers.
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:09 PM

I'm so very sorry to hear that. We always seem to do "what if I did something sooner" talk when our loved ones are injured. BMD is right. If the injuries are that severe, it's doubtful that quicker actions would have different results.

Know that your baby knows you did everything for him. It's all up to him now.

Be there for him. That's the best you can do. IF being PTS is what's best, then know that he'll wait for you on the other side of Rainbow Bridge.

Our prayers with you.

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:10 PM

ok the vet just called he does have some hope
his tail is broken at the base and its pulling on nerves so thats the first thing they're going to do... the wound is a wide gaping hole right down to his bone where his leg meets his hip... they're worried that he might get an infection in the bone due to it being open to the elements for so long.... they said that he isnt able to use the bathroom on his own anymore and we have to give him meds and depress his bladder and keep him in a cage for 4 - 6 weeks because he isnt allowed to move and will have a drain to get the infection out if there is any wich by the smell of it im sure there is
i have a question....
depressing a bladder and giving him meds to help him pee.... how does all of that work? i might be doign that to him 2 - 3 times a day for the rest of his life... anyone have any info on that or pointers or suggestions?
Old September 14th, 2005, 04:25 PM

Animals are very resilient and have recovered from not only serious diseases but extreme damage to their bodies because the body starts immediately to work towards recovery. If you go to the site www.handicappedpets.com they are wonderfully supportive and will help you in any way they can. If you have any questions( how to express the bladder, etc. They even have info on carts so that pets can be mobile) or difficulties along the way with your cat, there is someone who has gone through the same thing with their pet and who can help you. With time and patience, your cat may very well recover.Others have.
Old September 14th, 2005, 05:54 PM

thank you so much for the link it helped me a lot
he just got out of surgery the tail is gone he has a hole from his knee to his back exposing a nerve .... would that be the same nerve that was attached to his tail that helps him use the bathroom or is it a different one? and if it is the same will he ever be able to use the bathroom without help from me? the vet said right now he isnt able to use the bathroom without help because the tail is pulling on the nerves or whatever and preventing him from using the bathroom.(if ya cant tell im very confused as to whats going on)
he's still at very high risk of infection and they arent sure what long term damage there will be .... they've brought up a few times on if we want to put him down or keep trying.. the tone of her voice sounds like theres no hope but i cant just give up
on saturday we're going to assess and see how hes progressing if he isnt we will have to put him down
i just dont know what to do or to think
Old September 14th, 2005, 06:40 PM

Whenever trauma occurs, the body will go into shock- a sort of standstill mode( which may be part of the reason why he is not urinating without assistance) . The tissues will begin immediately to assess the damage and start the repair process but it may look like nothing is going on for quite some time. That's the thing about making short-term decisions on what could very well be a long-term healing process. To aid you in your decision-making process , it may help you to post your cat's situation on the site I mentioned and see what they say. The reason why is because the pets on that site are handicapped from birth defects, accident, disease, and various other reasons. There would most likely be someone there who has gone through and dealt with what you are facing now and would be able to assist you so that you may be enabled with the information that a pet or two had been in the same condition and recovered , which could, in turn, influence what you discuss with your vet this weekend. On www.handicappedpets.com for a pet who cannot walk, it is considered just a small glitch in their otherwise full life. And then again, with time, your cat may regain complete use of his legs. The more serious the injury the more time it takes to heal. Sometimes it just can't be rushed.( I am passing to you ( through another route ) info on a homeopathic that is used when paralysis of the bladder occurs after trauma. Hopefully your vet will be homeopathically inclined enough to implement it because it is highly effective.)
Old September 15th, 2005, 10:40 AM

sFire Angelx,
I just came across some info. Echinicea mother tincture, 5-10 drops given every hour will rapidly regenerate tissue. (You had mentioned that your cat had an exposed nerve from knee to spine) Also, Silicea 6x- 5 globules dissolved on the tongue( or a tiny amount of water and give via eyedropper) given every hour for 5-6 hours then 5-7 times a day will repair nerve injury. all of this is available at any health food store and was recommended by an MVSC vet . Since your cat is at the vet's already, the addition of the above would be very very corrective and because it's homeopathic it works well in conjunction with any other medication prescribed. (hopefully you got the info I sent re what to give to correct a paralyzed bladder due to accident or trauma. If you didn't, I'll post it because time is of the essence in this case)
Old September 15th, 2005, 11:30 AM

xFire Angelx,
You had mentioned that your cat is at high risk for infection. Here are two sites offering info on grapefruit seed extract and its ability to fight a multitude of serious bacterial and viral infections. Compatible for use with current medications and for use with pets ( click on pet internal use)

www.pureliquidgold.com/eczemaesoriasis.htm

http://www.health-marketplace.com/Gr...ed-extract.htm

Colloidal silver , also, will fight all manner of serious and antibiotic resistant bacterial and viral infections. Super Silver Solution is one brand that's safe for pets. Also compatible with other medications. Cats can be given up to two tsp three times a day for ten days for really serious infections.

www.all-natural.com/silver-1.html

Health food stores carry both products.
Old September 15th, 2005, 03:49 PM

thank you so so very much for all of this i appriciate it more than you know. no i didnt get the info
heres the update i just got a few minutes ago
hes moving around a little bit when they stand him up his hind right leg(the one with all the damage) shakes and it drags a little bit they arent sure if its just the pain or the meds or the nerve damage time will tell with that
the vet said that he is moving around a lot more than what she would be moving if she were in her shoes(i take that as hes doing much better than they thought at this point) they are being EXTREMLY agressive with antibiotics... injection and oral everyday... he hasnt used the bathroom on his own yet i let the vet know that he absolutely hates litter boxes and that when we first moved in when he had to be kept inside he would not poo at all and would only pee in the litter box if he really had to go she said that made her feel better and might explain why he is laying in the litter box instead of using it lol so they are still expressing his bladder and arent exactly sure if he will be able to use the bathroom on his own. also with the nerve damage in his leg they think he wont be able to walk completely normal for a long time if ever but he will get by just fine... now my cat since hes an outdoor cat(not anymore now that this has happened) hes had his share of injuries and hes an amazingly fast healer i know that he will fight and fight and make a huge recovery if not a full recovery... i know hes strong and stubborn and will not give up. i just hope they got the antibiotics going in time and are being aggressive enough with it

Last edited by xFire Angelx; September 15th, 2005 at 04:01 PM.
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Fire Angel,thank you for the update,your kitty is lucky to have you on his side and I hope he makes if not a full recovery,at least so he can still enjoy a good life. :love:
Old September 15th, 2005, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I keep holding my breath when I see you've posted an update. I am thrilled to see how well your baby is doing. It is amazing to see such spirit and a will to live. I will crossing every crossable part of my body. nothing but good vibes coming your way.
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Great news! Thanks for the update. I'll give you the info as to what holistic vets give for paralyzed bladder in case your vet may want to implement it. If the paralysis occurs as a sequel to an accident or trauma Arnica 6x should be used ( the longer the delay in giving it after an accident or trauma then the higher the strength) in the days following the accident at a dosage of three times a day until improvement is shown and urination is achieved without assistance. . 5 globules dissolved on the tongue each time is considered one dose. If you can't dissolve them on the tongue then dissolve in a tiny amount of water and give via eyedropper( don't touch with the hands or metal because it absorbs the oils, etc and is less effective). No food or water for one hour after each treatment. This( as with alot of homeopathics) absorbs into the system through the mucous membranes of the mouth, not through the stomach. And also, please keep in mind, nerve damage can be healed.
Old September 15th, 2005, 05:13 PM

thank you guys for your support it means so much to me
if i had not seen him show his will to live when we found him then i would be very worried about him not knowing how hard hes going to fight
see he was missing for a day and a half and i looked all over for him but unless you look directly down into this hole you wouldnt be able to see him the hole on the porch is only about 6 inches wide and 13 inches long and about a foot deep a tiny rectangle so i didnt give it a good look thinking hes a good size cat he cant fit in a tiny hole yesterday morning my mom woke me up at 8am yelling she found baby and hes stuck and by this time im thinking stuck? what is he just not moving and have an injury that makes it hard to walk.. i get down there and i see that hes stuck in a hole my brother and i right away get knives to start the long process of cutting the side shingle off the house to make it wide enough to get him out(we tried to pull him out but his shoulder blades seemed just too wide my mom brother and i were trying to figure out a way to get him out and i was getitng so frustrated that i couldnt help him at the moment all of a sudden he started growling and meowing so loud and grunting i thought he was going into a fit or something and he growled louder than a dog could have and squeezed himself out of it on his own my brother grabbed him and handed him to me and it was when my brother handed him to me that they saw how badly he was hurt thats when we began the 3 hour process of trying to find a way to get him to the vet... im just about to go outside now and see if i can find something that might have impaled him im thinking he might have jumped off the fence might have gotten his tail stuck somehow(wich might have been what broke it) lost his balance and landed on something that impaled him and ripped his skin
sorry for the long post but i just now relized you guys didnt know what had happened that morning
Old September 15th, 2005, 09:16 PM

ok heres another quick update on him the vet called about 40 mins ago
he's eating everything they put infrton of him but will not seek it out on his own. he's moving a little more than he was. they looked under his bandage today and he seems to be draining on his own. they expressed his bladder again. of course knowing my cat and worried for the vet techs i asked to see how the expressing of his bladder is going. she said that hes letting them do it without fighting. and seems to be more comfortable after they do that. they still have no idea if he is able to pee on his own or not also no idea if hes clear of infection or not. He hates it when people try to give him his meds and such and growls like crazy at them. so the vet is going to make sure there is a pain patch in place when we bring him home on saturday.
My boyfriend has made a website for me so i dont have to keep posting in here and buggin y'all so heres a link i will be doing my updating from now on in there. i have a picture of him on the site plus there will be more pictures of him and such when we bring him home on saturday. there is an email address on the site to reach me. its still being tweaked and such to pretty it up a bit. http://www.ximaginary.com/baby.php
again thank you all for your help, info and support. i appriciate it more than you will ever know.
Old September 16th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor

First of all,you are definetly not"bugging"us,I think I can speak for everyone here,we are now very interested to read how Baby is doing and hoping for the best outcome
He is absolutely beautiful by the way :love:
I checked yours and Baby's site and read you have 2 more kitties,we love to see more pictures!!
Please stay on here and let us know how Baby is doing!
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:02 AM

Even if you have started your own link( which I will be following with anticipation), hopefully you will also continue to update on Baby's progress on this site. The whole thing is an example of what can happen if a person ( and the vet(s) involved) can look beyond what seems like almost insurmountable odds and see instead the hope for and possibility of recovery. So many times immediate decisions are asked for when a pet is seriously injured, and many times, if given time, the whole picture can change from one of hopelessness and impossibilities to one of hope and possibilites .
Old September 16th, 2005, 12:43 PM

thanks guys its really nice coming here and seeing the things you have said i look forward to it everyday we were going to visit him today however my mom just had surgery on her back at the begining of the week and can not move around very much so im not sure if we will be able to make it. if she cant go i need to stay with her incase she needs help so im stuck between a rock and a hard place. we get to bring him home tomorrow and the vet said that she will show me how to express his bladder. im waiting to hear from her about how hes doing today. but i will keep ya posted on here and my site will be updated as well as a few more pics of Baby and my other 2 kitties Smokey and Weatherby.
Old September 16th, 2005, 02:27 PM

I do not post here often, but do read, and I want to say I think it is wonderful that you are keeping us all informed of Baby's progress. I have often observed that people ask for help, but then do not follow up and tell us how their pet is doing. Baby is so lucky that he belongs to you and that you care so much. As you say, he will now become an inside cat.

I have had dogs all my life, but over the years had 3 cats who I loved dearly. They were all inside cats mainly because I was too chicken to let them go outside. I am praying, along with everyone else, that Baby does well, and I am sure he will adjust to being an 'indoors' cat. I too will be following Baby's site, but hope you will continue to post here. Take care.
Old September 16th, 2005, 04:37 PM

hey everyone i have some good news and some not so good news ill start with the good news first
hes doing pretty well and getting around a bit better. he stands up and tries to walk but drags his hind right leg. hes dribbling urine on his own after only being on those meds for 2 days so thats a good sign but wont know if he can go on his own for another week and a half or so. hes not fighting the vets very much anymore when they change his iv/meds/express his bladder so the vet is comfortable with us bringing him home and letting me do it on my own. she said hes eating some but the medication can sedate him a little bit and he wouldnt be in the mood to eat but it could also be stress and/or pain. i asked her about any signs of an infection... so far so good normal temp and seems less painful also there is little oozing.. she said that because the wound is so deep that a little ooz is to be expected but also because its so depe it might take a while to find out if there is an infection.
she told me that we need to get a very large dog kennel for him to be in or a baby playpen or something. wich will be something that we will need to go out and buy. hopefully they're not too expensive.

now for the bad news
its going to cost about 450 bucks tomorrow when we get him... there is going to be more pain patches, antibiotics and the bladder pills and what not so it will cost more and my mom isnt sure if she can afford it all.... like i said we just moved in this area so im still trying to find a job so i can help pay for this but im not having much luck there. im not sure what to do because shes talking about if it costs too much she wants him put down... and i WILL NOT let her do that to baby.
any ideas guys on what i should do?