Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old November 15th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

Question Everyone crossed the street

The ban was passed in my city a month ago.Now when I walk my pits, everyone crosses the street and looks very afraid.( I blame the media for that ).One time three kids hid behind their mom and said" Mom those are pit bulls!" and were terrified.So I looked at them and said" They won't hurt you.They are very friendly".Since I've had my baby,I now walk with my baby and the pits and noone crosses the street or is afraid of my dogs.I guess people assume my dogs must be friendly if I have a baby?!It seems ridiculous to me.I even have people coming up and petting my dogs and complimenting them now.
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:55 AM
banned user

Talking Well all I have to do is get pregnant at 56 &..

people will Really cross the street! LOL!!

I'm glad things are better for you, & congrats on being a MOM. it's a lot of fun -mostly...
Old November 15th, 2004, 08:51 AM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

Thank You.And my pit bulls are excellent with my baby as well,despite how alot of my family members said that my pit bulls are going to harm my baby.We gave our dogs treat after treat when the baby is around them and now they love the baby!
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:35 AM
Senior Contributor

We got Daisy from the humane society because we felt sorry for her. We were the second people to take her home. The first girl who took her brought her back in tears because her family said Daisy would grow up to be a "baby killer". It's true. She almost drowned my niece with slobber once.

We didn't do any special training with Daisy. It seems to be almost an instinct with her. With me, I actually was out of the gym for a while because my shoulder was messed up from her pulling so hard on her rope when I play with her (pre-existing condition, but still...I'm over 200 lbs, and she's pulled me AND the easy chair that seats two before!). Yet when the little kids are around her, she's usually very careful of them, and if they smack her with the rope, she'll grab it, but won't pull. Except the youngest one, who we think hurt her once. Now, when the youngest starts touching her, she'll sometimes let a little growl, or show her teeth. (We watch her very closely, and Cheryl and I don't let her near Daisy without us right there. We also make sure Daisy knows this is unacceptable). But usually Daisy will walk away, other than get territorial.

We have to remember that people who don't have these dogs only know what they hear in the papers. I'm embarassed to admit that when we had apprehensions about getting a pit-bull. Best dog I've had. Try not to be to upset with people (unless they act like idiots). I now try to use every opportunity to educate people (I had one couple tell me what a great looking dog Daisy is. When they asked what kind, I told them, then told them she was the most gentle dog I've ever had!)

Oh, and congratulations on becoming a parent!
Old November 15th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Unfortunately, the media will only feature "scary pit bulls", which will lead to this inherent fear of the breed. It's funny how they're not doing news stories on all the fantastic pits that are out there. Grr.
Old November 15th, 2004, 11:14 AM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

Thanks Schwinn.We actually went overboard on the 'baby coming home pit bull preparations, because all my family said the pits would attack the baby.First we brought home the scent of the baby on a baby blanket,then I when I came home from the hospital I snuggled the pits for a couple hours before bringing the baby in, then I accustomed the dogs to the baby crying by letting them hear the baby cry on the baby monitor for 1 week before they met her(because my one pit bull gets startled by loud sounds),then I let them sniff the baby-treat,treat,treat after treat after treat.Now they wiggle like crazy when they see the baby and lick her non stop.My mom still says "They might still attack the baby".While my mom holds her breath waiting for the attack, I will in the meantime be enjoying my snuggly pits and baby and hubby.
Old November 15th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistruzzi
Thanks Schwinn.We actually went overboard on the 'baby coming home pit bull preparations, because all my family said the pits would attack the baby.First we brought home the scent of the baby on a baby blanket,then I when I came home from the hospital I snuggled the pits for a couple hours before bringing the baby in, then I accustomed the dogs to the baby crying by letting them hear the baby cry on the baby monitor for 1 week before they met her(because my one pit bull gets startled by loud sounds),then I let them sniff the baby-treat,treat,treat after treat after treat.Now they wiggle like crazy when they see the baby and lick her non stop.My mom still says "They might still attack the baby".While my mom holds her breath waiting for the attack, I will in the meantime be enjoying my snuggly pits and baby and hubby.
Let your mom know a plane might fall on her, too, if she goes outside.

As for the baby, I honestly don't think you can really be too careful with any dogs and a baby. The big joke when we got Daisy was that when she saw any kid when we were in my truck was she'd go crazy whining, her tail going like 90, we' suggest that she was thinking, "Bite size!" One time, a friend of Cheryl's came over with her kids, and Daisy just went nuts licking them. The mom thought that was cute she was being friendly. Then I said, "Or she's just tasting them for now...". I'm not allowed to be around a lot of Cheryl's friends...
Old November 15th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

I was a little worried too because my family pet growing up had snapped at my niece when she was a baby because she was jealous or whatever.That dog was just a gentle mixed breed of who knows what and was the most gentle sucky-baby of a dog, but I think just out of jealousy she snapped.Also when I had a cat she tried to attack everyone in sight in including my niece when she was three.Even cats can be nasty.If I still had that cat(she lives on a farm now)she would kick my pit bulls butts.
Old November 15th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Good for you Mistruzzi and congrats on your new addition.
I also have the pleasure of people crossing the road or walking far out on the grass to avoid my ticking time bomb. But again I also find alot of people approaching my dog and asking to pet him. Some kids I think do it because its supposed to be dangerous and that appeals to them. Also adults usually want to talk to me about the ban and how they don't believe its right. Which is great, now capone has more friends in the neighbourhood. But ofcourse we still have the street crossers, the snarlers and the eye rollers and they have become more brazen. I usually just kill them with kindness. A nice proud smile, cause I am proud of my dog and I take comfort in knowing their ignorant and I am not. I know Im right and have nothing to be ashamed of and I show that by walking proud and having fun with my dog. Everyone else can kiss his furry butt!
Old November 15th, 2004, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypit
Everyone else can kiss his furry butt!
Excuse me while I try to get that visual out of my head... (it's the trying to line up of lips while his butt wiggles back and forth I can't purge)
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:37 PM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

Thanks Luvmypit.I'm happy to hear you are PROUDLY walking your pit.Some pit owners are lying about what breed they own, as though they are ashamed or afraid.I like when people are proud pit bull owners and are standing up for their rights and beliefs
Old November 15th, 2004, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistruzzi
Thanks Luvmypit.I'm happy to hear you are PROUDLY walking your pit.Some pit owners are lying about what breed they own, as though they are ashamed or afraid.I like when people are proud pit bull owners and are standing up for their rights and beliefs
I'll be honest, we sometimes fall into that category, depending on the circumstances. For example, when we first moved into our last neighbourhood, we didn't say anything about her being a pit when we first met the neighbours. Usually we said Rotti X or mutt. We felt it would be best to have them become comfortable with us and Daisy, then we would mention it. Or if they asked. Granted, it shouldn't matter, and it shouldn't be a big deal, but the bottom line was, we thought we were going to be there for a long time, and didn't want to have to worry about getting off on the wrong foot. Besides, I think we probably made fans of Daisy easier when they fell in lover with her first, than if right off the bat we told them. Same thing when I lived in an apartment. They had a no dogs allowed policy (which isn't legal, but Daisy lived with my then-girlfriend in her house). When I got on an elevator, and I was met by a rather rude woman, and her friend started petting her, it was easier for me to say mutt than pitbull. Daisy was just visiting, and it wasn't a battle I needed to fight (I had so many others with that dump!). On the other hand, when I pulled into a parking lot yesterday, and someone walked up to me and said, "Hey, that's a great looking dog, what kind is it?" I told them, and then told them how she is the most gentle dog I've ever been around.

It's all about choosing the battles wisely. I don't lie about her breed, but I don't advertise it until I know I'm not going to have to worry about leaving her out in the backyard where she loves it while I'm at the store.
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

To each his own. Whatever works for you. For me I just find ignorance is best met with a smile and some kindness. Usually pees people off more. Occasionaly I have lost my cool telling a couple people off. But I understand where your coming from Schwinn. As soon as someone says "wow what a gorgeous dog" its usually met with 'what kind?" to me I get uneasy because I am inticipating a scowl or some attitude. I especially understand the wait till you play with him attitude. If they don't ask don't tell em. If you can convince one person by letting them get to know your dog then letting them know the breed. Maybe you can change one persons mind, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that.
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:36 PM
Proud Pit Bull Owner

Although I walk my pits with pride down the street, I do however fear that someone in my neighbourhood( who finds out they are a APBT) who considers them a dangerous breed my feel justified in poisoning them while they(the dogs) are out playing in my backyard( I live downtown where the houses are very close together). So when they are in the backyard I'm constantly checking on them and have become very protective of them.
Old November 15th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Senior Contributor

I think, unfortunatly, although it's always been a bit of an uphill battle, it's ten times worse with the impending ban. Unfortunatly, the majority of us, I think, are vocal champions of the breed, but we have to adapt to the situation. It's easier to tell someone getting licked to death, then to tell them first and then say, "No, really! Go ahead and pet her!" Everyone has a different comfort level, and the important thing is everyone represents the good owners of these great dogs.