Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:25 PM

Gizmo's Eye - I am so scared, worried and sad

On Thursday Gizmo was up to his normal self and was picking on Tonka. I guess Gizmo pulled the last straw and Tonka just could take it anymore and knocked Gizmo on his butt.

Gizmo didn't yelp or anything just got up and went on his chair.

The next day when I got home from work (Mark had the day off) I came in the house and only Tonka and Eddie welcomed me home. I looked for Gizmo and found him laying down moping.

Mark had found ANOTHER stray dog in our complex and had him/her in the house for two seconds while he got a leash and the phone to call the number on the tag. I/We thought right away that he was just being a suck thinking that he thought we were bring home yet another dog. So I picked him up to sort of console him and notices that one of his eyes had some gew around it. I took him into the bathroom and wiped it clean but didn't notice anything really wrong with it.

Unfortunately I had to leave about ten minutes later because I was driving two girls to a stagette up in Sauble Beach (one of those girls was the bride-to-be).

I asked Mark to keep a close eye on him and let me know if anything changed.

I called and check in at home while I was away and nothing had changed (Mark said he thought MoMo was getting a little better).

When I got home on Sunday I brought my stuff into the house and started looking for MoMo. I found him and his eye goop was worse. I ask Mark again how he did over the weekend and Mark said fine. I told him that I was going to make a vet appointment for Monday (today).

We went to the vet and apparently his retna is torn. The vet said it was pretty deep and he could lose his eye. I started balling right then and there. My poor little guy. I am so very very said and very worried.

The vet gave us some eye drops and I have to put them in every two hours (for the next 12 hours). Then I have to put the drops in four times a day for the next ten days. This means I might have to find some one to take care of him during the day (and I can't think of ANYONE) or I have to see if I can take him to work for the next four days.

I really wish I had canceled my trip up north and took him to the vet right away, but I didn't think it was as bad as it really is.

Gizmo is a bit of a drama queen and will play "I am hurt" all the time, or mope around if he doesn't get his way. I really didn't think it was as bad as it is when I left.

I am so scared that he will lose his eye.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912

Last edited by Elizabeth Ann; June 23rd, 2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:30 PM

I am so sorry your little guy is hurt. Lets hope the drops for the eye manage to do some wonders and he gets to keep the eye. I am sure you are just torn up inside, I know I would be too. I hope you figure out what you'll do for a sitter. I'll keep your little ones in my prayers,, and you to for peace of mind... let us know how things work out. :-)
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor little guy! Hopefully the drops will help get his retna strong and maybe help it repair itself. If that's possible. I also hope you are able to take him to work. Are you in a small office or something? Hopefully him being there won't be a big issue.

I'll keep him in my thoughts and pray he gets some good news. When does he go back to the vet for another assessment?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:46 PM

The vet didn't say anything about seeing him again but I am going to make an appointment anyways for a week Wednesday.

The vet said there is a chance that it can heal it's self. The drops are to help any infection that may or could set in.

I am sitting here looking at him and crying... I am just so sad and he is so young.

If it wasn't month end at work I would ask to work from home.

I think I might call my boss first thing in the morning and not ask but tell him that I am working from home. I can't leave my baby, I just can't.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too. ~Samuel Butler, Notebooks, 1912
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:56 PM
Kitty pimp

if the meds are for infection, maybe ask your vet if is would be ok to skip one during the day ask your vet first DOnt beat up yourself, it sounded like you couldnt have stopped it in the first place
Old June 23rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Poor thing i do hope his retna heals up on it's own.and the drops work.
your boss lets you work from home or take him to work with you.

Sending good thoughts and vibes gizmo's eye heals quickly
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:03 PM

One good thing

The one good thing is that MoMo is up to 9.4 lbs. That is great since before we started feeding raw (about six months ago) I couldn't get him over 8 lbs if my life depending on it.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth Ann View Post
The one good thing is that MoMo is up to 9.4 lbs. That is great since before we started feeding raw (about six months ago) I couldn't get him over 8 lbs if my life depending on it.
That good.raw did that for jag till he stop digesting bone then switched back to kibble
Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:06 PM
Senior Contributor

If you can work from home then go for it. I know it's hard, but try not to let him see you upset. Animals really pick up on our energy and feelings. He needs you to be strong for him, and don't treat him any differently. I've heard it's important for animals who have been injured to have a sense of normalcy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
If you can work from home then go for it. I know it's hard, but try not to let him see you upset. Animals really pick up on our energy and feelings. He needs you to be strong for him, and don't treat him any differently. I've heard it's important for animals who have been injured to have a sense of normalcy.
I never thought of that - thanks for that advise. I have totally been treating him special. Honestly - it's hard not to.

Old June 23rd, 2008, 09:11 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sending for Gizmo's Eye. I hope it heals properly. Poor baby.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 23rd, 2008, 11:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Do not skip any doses of eye meds. Miss Tyra went through this and it took over a month for it to heal. I had to do the drops every 4 hours for the whole month. Did he say this was a cornea ulcer or a torn retina? Good luck with your fur baby.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old June 24th, 2008, 12:10 AM
Live well, laugh often

Hope the drops fix his eye . Don't beat yourself up to much about not taking him in earlier . Dogs can be so strong and stoic about their pain that is often hard to tell if things are bad :sad:.
Old June 24th, 2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
Do not skip any doses of eye meds. Miss Tyra went through this and it took over a month for it to heal. I had to do the drops every 4 hours for the whole month. Did he say this was a cornea ulcer or a torn retina? Good luck with your fur baby.
I am working from home today and I am going to email my HR manager to see if I can bring him to work for the rest of the week. I think it's going to be a slim change that I can't but I have to ask.

I am not sure if it's a cornea or a retina thing. Honestly once she said he could lose his eye the rest was all blank.

I am going to do everything I can to make sure he gets ever last drop of this meds into his eye as the doctor said. I just hope I am not putting my job at risk.

I am a sale manager for a large company - they just think that I am a number, let alone caring about my dog.

Old June 24th, 2008, 07:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you live close to your home? If you have to do 4 times a day, you can put some in the morning, come home at lunch time, put in the second set, then when you come home in the evening put the third, and then before you go to bed the 4th. Are they timed to be put in every 2 or 4 hours? Perhaps you can rearrange your work schedule just for the next few days.

Old June 24th, 2008, 10:13 AM

I work about an hour away from home so that's not doable. I was just about to email my HR Manager but I am scared of the answer.

Old June 24th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Is there any way perhaps you can take him to the vet's office and have him there while you are at work? I know it's probably an added expense, but if they were able to keep him there while you were at work, they can medicate him then you can pick him up on the way home and take over.

Old June 24th, 2008, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Is there any way perhaps you can take him to the vet's office and have him there while you are at work? I know it's probably an added expense, but if they were able to keep him there while you were at work, they can medicate him then you can pick him up on the way home and take over.
I was thinking about it... plus he isn't letting me put the drops in anymore. Before his eye was frozen so he didn't feel the pain. Now the pain is back and he wants nothing to do with me getting close to it. I think I am going to call them.

Old June 24th, 2008, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I just finished several days of putting drops in Czarina's eye, and I know, it's not easy at all! Plus, it makes you feel like they aren't going to trust you for a while because you have to hold them down and keep them still for that.

It doesn't hurt to ask the vet if they can do that for you. Like I said, it might be an added expense, but at least you will know someone is putting the drops in his eye.

Old June 24th, 2008, 03:12 PM

Good news

My boss and HR Manager have said I can bring the little guy to work with me. This is great.

Old June 24th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Senior Contributor

That's fantastic news!

Old June 24th, 2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
That's fantastic news!
Totally, and since my BF works at the same place he can come to my office and help me with the eye drops.

I am totally on about this. I really these drops work and that he doesn't lose his eye... not that it would be all that bad as long as in the long run he was happy and heathly.

And hopefully this will teach him not to pick on his small (but bigger) brother.

Old June 24th, 2008, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Best wishes for his eye!!! Good luck!
Old June 24th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

That is great you can take him to work with you and the BF working at the same job can be there to help.
good luck with putting the drops in.
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:38 AM

So Gizmo is currently under my desk in his crate.

He only barked once when my boss came in to say goodmorning.

We just let him out of his crate for about ten minutes so he could stretch his legs and he just sat beside my chair and looked up at me.

I sort of wish I could bring him to work EVERYDAY.

Anyways - his eye seems to be really goopy today. I don't know if that's a good or bad sign... it might be the infections trying to drain??? I have been trying to get ahold of the vet but the line has been busy all morning.

Last edited by Elizabeth Ann; June 25th, 2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old June 25th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor

It's fun bringing them to work. I do that with mine now and then too.

Maybe the drops are clearing out what he's got in his eye that's infected

Hopefully you'll get a hold of the vet soon.

Old June 25th, 2008, 02:16 PM

Even thought my BF and I are having good success in getting at least one drop into MoMo's eye it's getting more and more goopy, I have spoken to the vet and she wants to see him again tonight.

I am all worried again. Here I thought since he wasn't put up such a fuss about getting the drops put in his eye that things were looking up.

I could start crying all over again.

Last edited by Elizabeth Ann; June 25th, 2008 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling issues
Old June 25th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

I wish you and MoMo the best of luck tonight at the vet.
Old June 25th, 2008, 09:13 PM

Removal

So the vet said that we have to get the eye removed. He goes back to the vet tomorrow and will come home a one eyed monster.

I am just glad that no infection spread and that he will be back to normal on not time.

Poor little guy... he will need to wear bangs for the rest of his life.

Old June 25th, 2008, 09:46 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Awwwww poor Gizmo! I was hoping for a different outcome. Poor sweetie.
He won't be a one eyes monster mom. He will be the same Giz you have always loved. Just more dapper with an eye patch!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!