Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Closed Thread

Old July 23rd, 2008, 07:56 PM

Angry Someone stole my cat!

Me and my boyfriend got a cat together and it was living at his house as an outdoor cat. He did have the choice of living inside, but he chose outside. I would bring him inside at night and he would just sit at the door meowing to be let back out. He would leave the house for a week at a time but would always come back. About a month ago we noticed he had been missing for awhile, Even thought he was missing we still put food out everyday for him. They have 25 acres of land but yet everyday after work (6am-6pm) my boyfriend would go out looking for him. We then found out my boyfriends brothers girlfriend (she's 16) and her mom took the cat from my boyfriends backyard without telling anyone because it was weak and had fleas. We knew it had fleas and had been giving him medication for it. And it was weak because he had left, on his own choice, awhile ago and probably didn't eat much. They live in the country and there's a house down the road with 20+ cats so thats where he must of gotten the fleas from. Since then we've found out they took him to the vet for shots and got him fixed. The only reason they got him fixed is because they already have 10+ cats and didn't want to end up with kittens. We've contacted her, and her parents by the phone, email, text messages and even talked to the girl in person saying we want our cat back but no reply! What can we do to get him back? I have written proof from the girl saying she took the cat and I have pictures of me and the cat together. Also the cat had a collar on him with his name and my boyfriends phone number. We care deeply about out cat, Mr.Eves. And did not neglect him!

Also, my boyfriends mom is a dog breeder. Our cat and all the dogs would play together. She was outside 3 times a day to make sure the cat and dog had food/water and took them for walks. How is that neglect?

Last edited by tiny-love; July 23rd, 2008 at 11:36 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny-love View Post
Me and my boyfriend got a cat together and it was living at his house as an outdoor cat. He did have the choice of living inside, but he chose outside. I would bring him inside at night and he would just sit at the door meowing to be let back out. He would leave the house for a week at a time but would always come back. About a month ago we noticed he had been missing for awhile, Even thought he was missing we still put food out everyday for him. They have 25 acres of land but yet everyday after work (6am-6pm) my boyfriend would go out looking for him. We then found out my boyfriends brothers girlfriend (she's 16) and her mom took the cat from my boyfriends backyard without telling anyone because it was weak and had fleas. We knew it had fleas and had been giving him medication for it. And it was weak because he had left, on his own choice, awhile ago and probably didn't eat much. They live in the country and there's a house down the road with 20+ cats so thats where he must of gotten the fleas from. Since then we've found out they took him to the vet for shots and got him fixed. The only reason they got him fixed is because they already have 10+ cats and didn't want to end up with kittens. We've contacted her, and her parents by the phone, email, text messages and even talked to the girl in person saying we want our cat back but no reply! What can we do to get him back? I have written proof from the girl saying she took the cat and I have pictures of me and the cat together. Also the cat had a collar on him with his name and my boyfriends phone number. We care deeply about out cat, Mr.Eves. And did not neglect him!

Wow, I'm sorry for what you are going thru, however that being said, I have to say your post just reaffirms why my cats are strictly indoor cats.
Several years ago, we found a cat near death, took her in, had her vetted, was told she probably wasn't going to make it. Well make it she did and she lived a wonderful life with us for 17+years. She had been an outdoor cat, and at first she cried to go out, she would try to pop window screens, anything to go but we wouldn't let her.
Your cat didn't choose to live outdoors, you chose to let him live outdoors.
He would've eventually adjusted to indoor life.
I guess, I really have to admit that if I found a cat weak and infested with fleas, because he had been roaming for so long, I probably would've taken the cat and had it vetted too.

The two that took your cat probably should've approached you first, and tried to talk to you about keeping your cat inside, not only to prevent from being stolen, but for it's best interest.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that if they hadn't stolen your cat it was only a matter of time before it either got hit by a car, attacked by a dog, or some form of wildlife.

I'm not trying to sound mean here, really I'm not, but obviously someone felt you were neglecting your cat. Offer to repay the vet bills to the people that took your cat, and if that doesn't work then maybe you should call the police if you can prove it's your cat, or maybe just let them keep the cat

Last edited by Luvmypitgirls; July 23rd, 2008 at 08:55 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:54 PM
Senior Contributor

sorry for the dp...I just want to add, that if your cat was intact, and caught fleas from the neighbor with the 20 or so cats, it could very well be that he, your cat contributed to that number.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Someone stole

It sounds like he's better off when he is, not weak and starving, he's been vaccinated and neutered which is what you should have taken care of, as a responsible pet owner.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 09:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.pettet View Post
It sounds like he's better off when he is, not weak and starving, he's been vaccinated and neutered which is what you should have taken care of, as a responsible pet owner.
^ Yeah that.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow, Just wow. And you expect these people to give him back to you? If you go to the police, they will investigate why ths cat was starving and near death in the first place. And you will be the one in trouble. The cat you claim to love, will finally have a good home that he probably deserves, Why take him back, cause' if you did love him, you would leave him right where he's to so he can be happy. What you are doing is selfish.

FYI- even the most feral of kitties, can be converted into inside cats.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
Senior Contributor

(insert good post smiley) for Babymomma!
Old July 23rd, 2008, 10:54 PM
banned user

< what she said.

Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:05 PM
Senior Contributor

tiny love, sorry I have to ask you a question.
What if your beloved cat, had gotten into a yard with an aggressive dog,not even just an aggressive dog but just a dog that hates cats, and that dog ripped your cat apart, who do you think is ultimately responsible?

Ugh, I can't stop thinking about this. I agree I think the best thing you can do is leave your cat with the people that did right by him, out of the goodness of their heart.
Sorry I don't think your cat was stolen, I think he was saved.
And thanks to the people that took him, he won't be out there making more cats to end up in shelters or worse.

Like I said in my previous post, he didn't choose to live outside, you chose that for him and to let him get into the condition you described, is well irresponsible and somewhat cruel.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:27 PM

I've contacted the girl and her mom countless times trying to talk about things, but they won't reply to my messages. I'm willing to pay back the vet bill. There aren't any houses around that have dogs, the farthest he goes is down the road to the other house with 20+ cats and has NEVER came back harmed. If it was my choice he'd be an indoor cat, but my boyfriend isn't the owner of the house and it came down to either he lets him outside or gets rid of him. What would you do? If i had a chance to get to him first I would of taken him to the vet, but I don't think there's any reason to get fixed. If he fathers a bunch of kittnes down the road then so be it. The ower of all those cats lets them be outdoor cats yet still takes care of them. Also, there's ben 20+ cats outside that house even before I got my cat. If they thought my cat was in danger then they should of contacted the animal shelter and filed a complainted so then I would of had a chance to explaine things. But I didn't even have a chance.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
... I don't think there's any reason to get fixed. If he fathers a bunch of kittnes down the road then so be it.
Are you for real?? Are you or your bf willing to take any responsibility for this cat?? For goodness sakes, at least his new family is! You should both be thankful for that.
Old July 23rd, 2008, 11:53 PM
Senior Contributor

The fact that there are already far too many homeless cats (even 1 is too many) is the perfect justification for having your cat nutered!
Dang, part of me felt a little sympathy for you thinking that just maybe you didn't know better, but your last comment, just shows me that you really just don't care.

You let your cat roam, cats can cover a lot of ground in a day, just because there isn't a dog in your immediate area doesn't mean your cat won't wander into a yard with a dog at some point.

As far as your boyfriend not owning the house and you had no choice to either put him out or get rid of him and asking what I would do.
First I wouldn't rent a house that wouldn't allow my cat.
Second, I wouldn't just toss him out to become flea infested and weak, (your words), or to be out there producing litters of kittens that nobody will care for.

I don't blame the people for not returning your messages now, if anything you should be calling them and thanking them for providing YOUR cat with that which you couldn't or maybe more like wouldn't.

Like I said they didn't steal your cat they SAVED it.
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:10 AM

What are you talking about not taking any responsibility for him? Of course I did. I've gotten him flea medicine, I made sure he always had food, water. I bought him a collar, we made him a cat house. My boyfriend doesn't rent a place, he lives at home with his family for free. And did you miss where I said the owner of all the cats down the road TAKES CARE OF THEM?

But thanks for no help at all. I'm going to the cops tomorrow. They can't prove that we didn't take care of him. Yes he had fleas but I can prove that I have flea medicine. And how can they say he was never fed when someone was out there 3 times a day making sure him and the dogs had food and water. And by the way, the girl who took him lives at my boyfriends house, so how is that taking care of all her cats? The 10+ cats she has. Who knows, I think there's a law on how many cats you can have where I live. Also, when I go to the police i'm bringing in pictures of her smoking weed near a cat. I wonder what will happen.
Old July 24th, 2008, 12:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
They can't prove that we didn't take care of him.
So the fact that you didn't take care of him isn't the issue to you. It's more that they can't PROVE you didn't.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old July 24th, 2008, 05:07 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

You know i really tried to just leave this thread alone, but after reading your last few posts. WTF is the matter with you. You get a cat, let it wander around outside, unfixed to produce god knows how many kittens. Feeding them isn't the only part of looking after an animal, so yes your neighbour is kind for feeding those 20+ cats (at his/her expense) because people like you think its ok to just let cats breed willy nilly. It is unhealthy for an animal to go unfixed. Treating the fleas or not, if he hadn't been outside he wouldn't have had fleas in the first place. Have you ever been bitten by a flea, uncomfortable isn't it. Now imagine being bitten by hundreds of them, continually. Omg, i just can't believe you, and why exactly do these people have 10 cats, because of people like you that's why. You DON't love your cat, if you did none of this would be happening, because he would have been indoors, neutered, flea free, etc. As for showing the police pictures of this girl smoking weed, jeez grow up. If you took the picture you were obviously at the same place the weed was being smoked, hmmm if i were a cop can you imagine what my first thought would be. Oh and by the way, news flash.... Marijuana was decriminalized a few years ago, it's no longer illegal to smoke it. Be thankful someone is giving the cat the care you didn't, and leave it at that.
Old July 24th, 2008, 06:25 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

If you had a child and he/she "chose" to eat candy everyday and not bathe, go to school or listen to authority would you just allow it, or do what is best for the child. A cat is like a child and as a responsible pet owner you ensure you pet is safe and healthy. Your cat is better off where he is, with responsible owners.

Hats off to the new owners who cared for this cat!!!

Well said, Aslan!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I too was not going to comment,Lovemypitgirls and others did such a good job
I too feel good this kitty is now relatively safe,has been neutered and hopefully flea-free
No cat decides he wants to live outside...and buying flea-meds,probably not from a vet and useless,is not taking care of a cat,not seeing the importance of neutering your male,to keep unlucky kittens from being born,is just plain ignorant.
So,I can only hope the kitty has a better life with his new owners
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:16 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracko View Post
So the fact that you didn't take care of him isn't the issue to you. It's more that they can't PROVE you didn't.
ummmm should i point out that it is now in writing and can now be proved that she didn't. All it would take is the proper authorities be sent a copy of these posts.
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Why don't you change the name of your post to "somebody saved my cat". Because FYI- Finding a cat that is near death, is an act of heroism, NOT stealing. YOU my dear, are the most selfish person i have ever met (cyber met) ...GET A LIFE!!!!
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Senior Contributor

I also suggest to you,that you give some of your spare time to a shelter,to see what peoples ignorance to the need for neuter/spay does to innocent animals.
Maybe you will even get a look at a pile of dead cats,euthanized because of said ignorance towards cats.
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

It's annoying, I know, but you've learned something, letting your cat wander around intact (they go further away when they're not fixed, attracted by every fertile female in a wide radius) exposes him to all kinds of risks, including someone providing care that you didn't bother to provide.

I don't agree with cat-knapping (and have been accused of it a few times ) and yes, she should have called you when she picked him up, but she didn't, and there's some justice in that, call it instant karma.

There's a cat I feed and cuddle on my balcony. Lucky for the owners, I have no room inside. He never goes home, except maybe when it rains, and even then. I've wormed him and treated him for fleas; the only thing I haven't done is get him fixed (not that I don't think about it). The people who own him don't deserve this little guy. They can't seem to scrape the money together for a simple operation that costs less than a hundred dollars but always have enough for beer and weed. This cat has already gotten my neighbour's cat pregnant and she's barely 6-7 months old. When I see her tiny head, attached to a body the size of a football, how uncomfortable she is, it infuriates me no end. (My neighbour thinks it's cool, another battle I lost). The kittens are promised to a pet shop, who will sell them to anyone with the cash (but not necessarily good intentions).

In some places, letting your cat wander is an offence, so your plan could well backfire. The collar is in the garbage already. Even if, by some miracle, you were able to get him back, you would have to cough up the money they spent at the vet, so get ready for that.

You need to learn from this. Someday you might even thank this person; because of her he didn't starve to death or catch a fatal infection or end up under the wheels of a car.

Sorry. Big lesson.

Last edited by badger; July 24th, 2008 at 08:57 AM.
Old July 24th, 2008, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
If he fathers a bunch of kittnes down the road then so be it. .
Everything I wanted to say has been said, but the above statement proves to me that neither you or your boyfriend are responsible enough to own a pet.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiny-love
If he fathers a bunch of kittnes down the road then so be it. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Everything I wanted to say has been said, but the above statement proves to me that neither you or your boyfriend are responsible enough to own a pet.
Sums up my feelings on the whole matter. The person with 20 cats is doing a far better job of looking after them than you have with one. I would suggest that instead of reporting this person, you should be helping them to care for all those cats. Some of whom probably had your cat as their father or other unneutered males and females as parents before your neighbour had them fixed.

Cindy
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:15 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Me and my boyfriend got a cat together and it was living at his house as an outdoor cat. He did have the choice of living inside, but he chose outside. I would bring him inside at night and he would just sit at the door meowing to be let back out.
Quote:
my boyfriend isn't the owner of the house and it came down to either he lets him outside or gets rid of him. What would you do?
So which was it? Why so disingenuous if you think this cat is so well-off with your bf?

Time to think about what's in the best interest of this kitty, tiny-love. Is the cat in better health now? Gaining weight? Happy? Perhaps he's 'home', then.

Now, about your dogs... I hope they're getting better care than kitty did

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 24th, 2008, 09:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Maybe the OP can visit the new, responsible owners and help with the litter box cleaning, feeding, transporting to and from vets, etc., etc. in addition to Chico's idea of visiting the local shelter.

And maybe you can give the new owners the Pets.ca url, we sure would love to meet her, her daughter and her 10+ kitties.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
but I don't think there's any reason to get fixed. If he fathers a bunch of kittnes down the road so be it.
THIS just proved how irresponsible you are.

Where did you get the flee meds from?

Has this cat been to a vet at all since you had him?

Qustion before you go to the cops.Do you have proof this cat is yours?Has this cat been to a vet?If so the records would show your name or your BF's name as the owner.Are you prepared to fork over lawyer fees incase this goes to small claims court?

As for that picture,don't bother bringing it.It's useless to them.She would have to be "cought" in the act.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan
Oh and by the way, news flash.... Marijuana was decriminalized a few years ago, it's no longer illegal to smoke it
Actually it hasn't been decriminalized.Unless you have a doct's not stating it is for medisonal purposes(for pain from cancer treatments and other crippling painful diseases).Other than that,don't get caught with it.
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Kitty pimp

it wasnt your cat unless you kept is indoors

flea medicine other than frontl;ine usually is inneffective and or makes the cat sick neutiring a stay xat IS IMPERATIVE

AS IS BRINGING HOM TO A VET if you wn: a cat and esp a outdoor cat you sould see the vet with him at least once a year and possibly twice

nobody stole your cat he made his choice and so be it go to the rescue and get another is you thonk you can be a reaponsible owner there are plenty of kitties to go around
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:12 AM
-

I hate to disagree mona b , if you are caught with drugs on you other than for medicinal purposes, you will be charged with possession. If an officer of the law see's you smoking a joint, or a picture of you smoking a joint, they won't do anything. I said decriminalized not legalized. It is not legal to grow, or sell marijuana, nor is it legal to have in your possession a sell able amount. One joint is now a joke, and a fine at worst.
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:18 AM
chronically insane.

Yep, I'm going to have to agree with everyone else. Just feeding him doesn't make you a good pet parent. Why would you go out and get a cat just to let it wander off outside? If you know it couldn't be an inside cat when you got it, why would you get it?

I mean it would be like my mom going before a judge and saying 'Well, I leave out some leftovers on the kitchen table every night, and she's allowed to sleep on the couch when she comes home, and I got her some medicine for that illness she has, but otherwise I let her go outside every morning when I go off to work, and who knows what happens to her then."

My mom would be thrown in jail if she treated me how you treated your cat.

The other person saved the cat. If you go to the police, they aren't going to care. That would be like my mom in my made up scenario up there going to the cops and trying to get me back from foster parents who actually take me to the doctors, feed me properly, keep me clean,take care of me etc. Who do you think the police would side with?

And on another note, pictures can be photoshopped and are not sufficient evidence of a crime like that. How would the police know you didn't just take a picture of a girl sitting there, then add special effects to make it look like she's smoking weed. And depending on where you live, it's probably not even a felony. They aren't going to go busting down her door and arresting her because you brought in a picture of her smoking. They won't know if the pictures real, or where it was even taken. So that goes out the window.

Real mature.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old July 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Hall View Post
it wasnt your cat unless you kept is indoors
People who have cats that are outdoors, they are still responsible for their needs. I am not talking about strays.

Sadly animals are still considered property. If that animal has any form of ID on them, that would disguish you as their owner and they need some type of care...you will be held responisble, as you should be. Doesn't matter if your cat is an indoor and or outdoor cat.

ACO22
Closed Thread