Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 11th, 2009, 08:59 AM

Leash

How can I get King to stop biting my hands as I put his leash on? He sits when you take it off and dosen't bite. He now sits when I put it on but continues to bite my hands.
Old January 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM
-

Have you taught King the "look at me"/ "pay attention" command ? It's an all-purpose way to focus their attention on you rather than the food in hand, the squirrel in the tree, the approaching dog etc.

I apologize if I'm asking a silly question but, I haven't read your other posts and don't know if this is a pup or a dog that is new to you ~ is he teething?
Old January 11th, 2009, 06:37 PM

King is still a puppy he will be nine months on the 15th. I have a leash that goes around his body but left that at my sisters so now I am using the collar around his neck which I don't like but getting his real collar back in Feb.
Old January 11th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I'm a softy

I would try doing it one million times a day! hee hee. But really lots and lots of repitition will help. I would try to put it on, when he goes to bite say uh uh, or nope or whatever and then move the leash away, make sure he is in a sit. then again, keep saying uhuh if he moves to bite, then when you get it on ans he didn't bite make a big deal, take the leash off and play for a minute. then do it again, and again. Shouldn't take long, probably just excitement because he is a baby, once he finds out that biting u is not the way to get walking sooner I think he will stop. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:16 PM
-

Have you taken King to obedience classes yet?

If not, that would be a great place to start ......you have to learn to show him that you are alpha.
Old January 12th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

My pup went through that stage. It did not take long for him to realize that if I put the collar or leash away it meant no outing. The second he so much as turned his head toward my hands I stopped, took the collar or leash and put it back up on it's peg. No collar/leash, no walk, and pretty soon no biting. At first it might have taken 5 or 6 attempts, spaced out, oh about 10 minutes or so, before he got it. It had to be repeated every day for about a week with successively fewer repetitions. I said DON"T BITE once each time.
Old January 12th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

He wants to make a game out of this and if you get fussy and aggitated you are playing right along.

A great way to handle this is to have 2 leashes.

Each time you move in to remove or attach a leash he needs to be calm. Put one leash on - be ready to correct him in he even thinks about putting his mouth near you and say 'no bite' or 'quit' in a firm tone.

Now you have one leash on and you are ready to put another one on. The first leash is there to help you correct him as you put the other leash on. A correction is a little 'pop' on the leash - like someone tapping you on the shoulder - say 'quit' in a firm, abrupt tone at the same time and then go back to a loose leash. Praise him when he is being good. Go back and forth several times until he stops challenging you. It typically only takes 3-5 times and he will sumbit.

Always remember that energy feeds right into your dog - so your energy needs to remain calm - if you get aggitated then you are playing right into his paws.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended