Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 9th, 2012, 07:06 PM

Question kids and childish owners in dog parks

Do you guys find screaming running kids in our dog parks hard to deal with sometimes?

Also have you seen some aggressive owners in dog parks looking to pick fights? Like they are in a bar or something? lol They walk into a dog park give dirty looks with their family and cross their arms talking trash and just look to try to pick a fight ? LOL I cant be the only one who has this in my park?
Old August 9th, 2012, 07:39 PM

cateyes, sure glad I don't go to your park!
I had that a LOT when I lived in Edmonton, but here people are much calmer.
Frankly, I often felt like telling the parents it was an off-leash DOG park, the sign said nothing about allowing kids to run loose lol
Old August 9th, 2012, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cateyes221981 View Post
Do you guys find screaming running kids in our dog parks hard to deal with sometimes?
I don't.. because I wouldn't tolerate it. I'd leash my puppers up and head out. It's not worth the risk of something happening. More and more I avoid dog parks altogether because of crazy stuff like that!
Old August 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Love View Post
I don't.. because I wouldn't tolerate it. I'd leash my puppers up and head out. It's not worth the risk of something happening. More and more I avoid dog parks altogether because of crazy stuff like that!
I took Marty to the woods when off leash hours where over and some woman had 6 dogs off their leashes and two of the dogs that where at least 70 lbs started to knock my small 20 lbs dog around. The woman did nothing and I had to get the two dogs off my dog. The woman who was a dog walker and she allowed the dogs to run free at the wrong time. I wish I had a cell phone as I would called the cops and she would had been fines $50 for each dog. I stopped going to the woods as I did not want anything to happen to Marty as you never know when some dog owner would come when dogs had to be on their leash and let their dog run lose. It is not worth the risk of having something happening to my dog. It is a drag that some people feel they are above law and do as they pleases
Old August 11th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

I do not go to dog parks with Clark since he does not play well with others. But I used to take Bud who was a small boy at 190 pounds. Of course even if he was no where near a tussle he would get blamed because of his size. He knocked a kid down one day not intentionally but the kids mom went nuts 4 people immediately came to my defense saying it is a dog park not a park for kids. They left. But normally that is not the case in most parks. Besides most people have no control over their dogs in off leash parks.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 11th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

I think part of having a dog park in the first place...is that surprise surprise....it's meant for dogs.... it is not meant for people's kids under say age 9-10.

Yes it's legal to bring them there but it's a BAD idea. It's also legal for kids to go to restaurants made for adults...that too should be illegal.

Kids under 6 should only be allowed in 1 restaurant.....the one with the swings and golden arches and addictive chemicals in their food

Unfortunately, plenty of burnt out parents also have burnt out brain cells so they bring their kids to places they don't belong without thinking of the consequences to their kids or other people.

Because of this....clear signs in the case of a dog park saying that this is not a good place for kids couldn't hurt.

So to summarize...no kids under 6 in dog parks and the only restaurant they should be allowed in has clowns.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
I think part of having a dog park in the first place...is that surprise surprise....it's meant for dogs.... it is not meant for people's kids under say age 9-10.

Yes it's legal to bring them there but it's a BAD idea. It's also legal for kids to go to restaurants made for adults...that too should be illegal.

Kids under 6 should only be allowed in 1 restaurant.....the one with the swings and golden arches and addictive chemicals in their food

Unfortunately, plenty of burnt out parents also have burnt out brain cells so they bring their kids to places they don't belong without thinking of the consequences to their kids or other people.

Because of this....clear signs in the case of a dog park saying that this is not a good place for kids couldn't hurt.

So to summarize...no kids under 6 in dog parks and the only restaurant they should be allowed in has clowns.
My city allowed dogs to run free certain hours of the days , there are no fences to keep the dogs in one place . They can run in the parks as long as it not in the playground . We have a park that a very popular place to walk it trails and people will bring their kids with them , and dogs will be running lose being dogs ,jumping , barking, etc. I think the idea is insane! The city does not allowed dogs off their leashes near the playground for small kids
but it OK to have dogs running lose in the park with small kids around.
This just does not made sense to me.
Old August 11th, 2012, 11:43 AM

there is a couple that yells at their great pyr pup who is six months old and tell it to "man up" because its submissive to other dogs and doesnt do anything if they try to get rough with it

The most disgusting thing i have ever seen wow

My dog loves the park though and is able to handle anythign that comes her way its her fave place, the world anywhere u go is full of danger and ugly people but wow its shocking how nasty the dog park can be, i got a good recall on my dog and keep her away from disgusting people. But seriously? some people need a good beating for acting that way. I never have issues with dogs in parks its always the owners. lol they are more stupid than the dogs by far.
Old August 11th, 2012, 11:51 AM

ive been knocked to the ground before by big dogs playing and it hurts like hell imagine that happening to kids? then the dogs get blamed for it. Some dogs love the park and love to get rough and play specially those dogs that dont have another dog to play with. They get excited at the thought of going to the park to meet other dogs they start to bond with. It turns into a social event for them. It can be a bad place for dogs but can be a great place for single dogs of certain mentality types. That are stable in the head. Fights can break out sure a fight can happen anywhere while walking your dog on leash also. MOst dogs seem to be much more aggressive on leash than off leash.
Old August 11th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Code:
ive been knocked to the ground before by big dogs playing and it hurts like hell imagine that happening to kids? then the dogs get blamed for it.
Believe me I know that pain Bud knocked me down one day and broke my wrist we were just playing. Kids do not belong in dog parks especially running around. That is just an invitation to be knocked down probably by more than one dog. But these kids parents are usually not watching dog or kids they are socializing and on their Blackberrys or phones.

Code:
I agree with the restaurant comment too if your kids cant behave then they should not be in restaurants ruining other peoples meals.

Code:
MOst dogs seem to be much more aggressive on leash than off leash.
Very true. I own one of those Clark is not a social dog. We don't go to dog parks the problem is people seem to think every park is off leash and when I ask them to leash there dogs they tell you well you can guess what. So I just say if your dog comes over to mine I will not be responsible if they get in a fight, these are usually the owners who have no control over there dogs. If your dog is under control I have no problem with it off leash. But those are few and far between
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old August 11th, 2012, 04:43 PM

marko, I think I love you!
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:19 PM

I have have been through all of that and and have complained but nothing was done. I quit going to the park a couple of years ago because of that.
Patches - Diluted Torti 2007-2022
Old August 11th, 2012, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cateyes221981 View Post
there is a couple that yells at their great pyr pup who is six months old and tell it to "man up" because its submissive to other dogs and doesnt do anything if they try to get rough with it

The most disgusting thing i have ever seen wow

My dog loves the park though and is able to handle anythign that comes her way its her fave place, the world anywhere u go is full of danger and ugly people but wow its shocking how nasty the dog park can be, i got a good recall on my dog and keep her away from disgusting people. But seriously? some people need a good beating for acting that way. I never have issues with dogs in parks its always the owners. lol they are more stupid than the dogs by far.
The poor puppy! The owners sound like real jerks and should not own a dog and they know nothing about puppies if they're telling it to man up! A dog does not know how to man up. I something think people should be given some test to see if they'll made good pet owners. I agree , it is the owners that I get upset with not the dogs.
Old August 12th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etown_Chick View Post
marko, I think I love you!
LOL - I'm guessing we share the same views

I got lots more to say on the topic...but I'll hold back.

I think part of the solution (because it's an easy one) is large signs... If the rules are crystal clear....even boneheads will think twice...maybe.

and if they don't think....at least there is a large sign to tell them what the rules are. Other dog owners in the park can point to the sign....
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 12th, 2012, 09:30 PM

Not a fan of dogparks at all. My last husky liked going to our local because she could be off leash. That ended when she got old and blind. A 2 year old lab attacked her one day while she strolled in the river and darn near drowned her. This was a dog that we'd met often with no sign of trouble before.
Other times, my new dog and I have been followed through the bushy parts by a guy and his cattle dog who were both trying to pick a fight. Then there was a guy that threw a chuck-it ball right at us 3 times while we were just trying to walk through the off leash area. Once would have been a mistake, two times and he's a jerk. Three times, he's a flaming a.h. Nope, too many nutters there for me.
So now, my dogs are on 30 foot leashes that I can feed out or constrain at will and we go to lots of different places where ther are plenty of squeeky things to ''hunt'' and no-one to bother us.
Old August 12th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
LOL - I'm guessing we share the same views

I got lots more to say on the topic...but I'll hold back.

I think part of the solution (because it's an easy one) is large signs... If the rules are crystal clear....even boneheads will think twice...maybe.

and if they don't think....at least there is a large sign to tell them what the rules are. Other dog owners in the park can point to the sign....
I agree with that having a large sign with the use rules would help a lot. One of the park has a tiny sign posted with rules on the side of a doggie poop bag container . The sign tell the hours you let your dog run lose and not everyone see it unless they take a poop bag for their dog . People had their dogs off their leash at the wrong time and I tell them the hours are posted and they say they did not see the sign. I stopped going to park as it was not worth taking the risk of my small dog getting hurt.