Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

serenamlambe- Questions on Seizure meds

Hi Serena

Nookie had his first cluster seizure at 2:29 this morning. There are a couple of things really wrong with this. First, he's never had a seizure while sleeping, and second, never had a cluster. He had 1 seizure once at just before 5 am, but he was getting a drink of water at the time. I'm hoping you can help me. I have googled, and read and ugh... got so confused. I know you have Keely on different meds now, and I would love to know which ones she's currently on, and have they stopped/decreased the frequency/severity and has she had any side effects from them?

My worry is that his seizures are progressing. It's been a little over 7 weeks since his last seizure, but each one seems to be gaining in severity. And 2, back to back, just freaked both Shaun and me out, bad. The Valium did eventually pull him out of it, but he's so exhausted today... all he's done is sleep. I know the more seizures they have, the more they will have due to "Kindling", so I think we're at a point that we need to put him on something. When he was on Pheno, he had quite a bit of liver damage just within the first 2-3 weeks (from what I remember... could have been a bit longer) and he's just SO sensitive to everything. If you see this, and can respond, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Robyn

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old June 4th, 2012, 08:26 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

No advice, Robyn, but I'm just so sorry to hear about Nookie. Have you tried PMing Serena? She may have her email set up to receive notifications of PMs

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 5th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Thank you, Hazel
I'll PM her. I didn't even think about that lol. Her little Keely and Nookie have always been quite similar in seizure activity and from around the same age, which is quite unusual for dogs that young. I'm hoping that whatever Keely is on may help Nookie.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:11 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I hope so, too!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 5th, 2012, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

That's rotten luck, Robyn, poor Nookie. I hope you find treatment that suits him.
Old June 5th, 2012, 01:15 PM

Sorry to hear about Nookie. I totally understand the freaking out bit, that's what happened to Theo back in April. Back to back seizure, so so scary.
My vet does not want to put Theo on meds until they are closer together.
However, if the time comes he did not want to start with Pheno, as it can cause liver damage as you know. He did suggest Potassium Bromide, he said he has a few patients on it and it has worked really really well. Its not toxic like the Pheno. Hope Nookie is feeling better.