Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old April 18th, 2007, 03:25 PM
-

Kibble

So we all know my motto as an haute-gourmand right ?
"Fake it 'til you make it". This also gives me an out ~ if it doesn't work for you ~ it's not my fault . The best advice I can give you is watch your oven ~ mine is vindictive.

So here are some kibble recipes. BUT, please note while I have made these recipes I have not used them on an extended basis without additional supplements. And I have NO idea whether they are nutritionally balanced per the AAFCO. But, if you get stuck without a kibble you can live with or you simply get stuck without kibble and have these ingredients on hand then you will have very happy dawgies.

Fishy Kibble
Makes about 18 cups
Ingredients
4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups oats
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup milk powder
2 eggs (reserve shells)
2 eggshells (bake in toaster oven or microwave until crumbly, then grind in food processor)
1 cup shredded/pureed 3 colours of veggies (ie. red pepper, carrots, green peas)
4 cups salmon or tuna (canned in water, drain & reserve the water)
6 tablespoons olive oil
4 tablespoons Bragg's (or low-sodium soy sauce if you can't find Bragg's)
water (as needed )
Preparation & Cooking
Pre-heat oven to 175 C. (350) and grease a large high-sided baking pan. Combine flour, oats, rice, milk powder and eggshells in a large mixing bowl. In a smaller bowl, mix eggs, olive oil, and Bragg's. Add the tuna or salmon and combine well. Mix the reserved tuna or salmon water into the dry mixture and then add the egg/fish mixture. Combine everything well. The consistency of the "dough" should be like pancake batter. If needed, thin with more water. Put the batter into the baking pan or pans spreading evenly to about 3/4 inch thickness. Bake for about 45 minutes. Cool when done. Then, break into small pieces. Store in covered container inside the refrigerator, or place inside freezer bags and store in freezer.

Meat Kibble
Makes about 10 cups
Ingredients
4 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups rye flour
2 cups non fat milk powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 eggs (reserve shells)
4 eggshells (bake in toaster oven or microwave until crumbly, then grind in food processor)
1/2 cup olive oil
4 cloves minced garlic
4 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup 3 colour-veggies (ie. courgettes, squash, cauliflower)
4 cups cooked beef or pork shredded/ pureed
Reserved liquid from meat
Preparation & Cooking
I buy large inexpensive cut (s) of beef or pork and put them in a covered slowcooker with enough water to cover on low for 6 hours. If you don't have a slowcooker, sear your meat first in a hot frying pan then put it in a large pot with enough water to cover, bring to a rapid boil then simmer for two hours covered . Reserve the liquid.

Pre- heat oven to 175 C. (350 F) and grease a large high-sided baking pan. Combine whole wheat flour, rye flour, milk powder, egg shells, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Beat the eggs, and blend them in with the oil in a smaller mixing bowl. Add in the garlic, shredded/pureed veggies and tomato paste. Next, add in enough of the reserved liquid from meat to the flour mix to make it smooth. Fold in the egg mixture and combine it all evenly. Add more of the reserved liquid from meat if needed. Add in the meat , press it into the dough to combine thoroughly. If the "dough" is too stiff, add in more of the reserved liquid from meat. In terms of consistency, it should be not quite pour-able ~ it should be ploppable.

Put the mixture on the baking pan or pans. Spread it out with a spatula to 3/4" thickness. Bake for 45 minutes and then cool. Once cool, break into pieces and refrigerate in sealed container or freeze in freezer bags.
Old April 18th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Flyball Mom

Ah, well, see now I could go 100% homemade. I make my own wet food now, but I give her kibble because I want to keep those teethies clean and her jaw working. Hhhhhmmm it's a thought.... I assume you can freeze it too.

Thanks Mum.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Honest Contributor

(less grains, more meat and protein)

but otherwise it looks ok.... question though. if you take the time to make home food... why try to imitate commercial kibble? kibble does nothing to clean teeth, that's a myth. give a raw bone to chew on, or nylabones, or kongs, or... ok just my again!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old April 18th, 2007, 09:38 PM
Flyball Mom

Well, she does get her weekly raw bone, and Kong, and balls, and hard cookies, etc.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Honest Contributor

yay for pearly whites!

Old April 18th, 2007, 10:34 PM
-

just an fyi... Frenchy was looking for kibble recipes and I promised I would post some recipes.

But, as for kibble and teeth ~ I only have to look at Declan's teeth compared to the Grrrrl's. Even though the grrrls are eating kibble now, their teeth are still good and after they have had their bi-monthly gnaw~ they are back to being pearly white. Not nearly as good as when they had a natural diet of course but compared to Dec's ~ blech.
Old April 18th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Honest Contributor

ah, thanks for the heads' up

i learned (thanks to prin and other peeps here!) that tooth genetics has more to do with teeth & gum condition than just food... although feeding a better kibble seems to help too! dakotah has weak teeth... i have to be careful with him, monitor his gums, watch for chips and breaks, etc. Maika has normal teethies - one thing going for the little street rat, LOL!

Old April 19th, 2007, 01:02 AM
-

I guess I would be one of those who agree (periodontal problems are generally hereditary) and disagree ~ "bad" genes can be overcome with proper nutrition and care. Sometimes it's the difference between using a straight vitamin C and Ester C.
Old April 19th, 2007, 07:11 AM
Honest Contributor

i have been giving both kids a daily 500mg dose of ester-C since they're pups... is that ok?

Old April 25th, 2007, 01:21 AM
-

Dogs tend to digest and absorb the good effects of C via different sources dependent upon existing health problems and their own digestion rates.

Ester-C is better than Ascorbic Acid (your drugstore "Vitamin C") because being neutral PH & non-acidic)it is less like to cause indigestion or diarrhea and because it is time released. But then there's the ongoing question, if your dawg completely digests-to-waste a meal within eight hours, how much of this very soluable form of C which is generally not stored is actually taken up ?

Calcium Ascorbate is better for dogs who are prone to indigestion and diahrrea as it is completely water soluable and flushes through their systems quickly, however that means adding it to each meal.

Sodium Ascorbate on the other hand sticks around and is easily absorbed.

So, in answer to your question ~ it depends on the dawg.