Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old February 27th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Kitty Consort

Flushable litter

I have been using Sweatscoop litter for a couple of years now, and though I am happy with most of it's qualities, I've always been apprehensive about flushing it.Though its promoted as a flushable product, I find I have to be SO careful - just a little at a time. Its hardly worth the trouble.
Two or three times I have blocked the toliet with it too, but was able to plunge it free.

This weekend, not so lucky. There is a partial blockage I just cant free. I've plunged till I'm blue in the face, used a drain cleaner three times. Thought I'd fixed it yesterday,.. but turns out the problem is still there
I think we might have to get a plumber, as it must be in the pipes. I'm pretty positive it was the litter ... cement-like debris.

This really annoys me, its a nusiance and will now be expensive to fix.

SweatScoop is not a cheap litter, and there are many to choose from.
Is there any clumping litter that IS safe to flush? I'm about ready to switch.
Old February 27th, 2005, 02:55 PM
Performance Spaniels

I've heard those complaints about almost every cat litter that is 'safe to flush'. That you have to do it in really little amounts to make sure that it doesn't clog. The recycled newsprint litter I heard was safe to flush, but caused problems as well...

Not that this resolves your problem, I just don't think there may be anything out there yet that is actually not problematic to flush. I had been lookign into the recycled newsprint dog litter when people had been telling me litter horror stories.
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Hey Shamrock.
I have never been able to flush any litter I have used. I guess with 5 cats that would be toilet murder! I have used a "snake" to unplug our toilet before and it's much cheaper then a plumber.
I think you can rent them, We bought ours at canadian tire, I am sure alot of hardware stores sell them, They are great.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Kitty Consort

Happycats, that is a great idea, thanks!
That might work! I didnt think of that ( dont even know what they are, actually, but I have heard of snakes being used to unclog toliets.
I am going out shortly.. I'll run down to Home Depot and see how much to buy one..or to rent.
Certainly worth a try. A plumber is going to cost mucho dinero. .

I have learned my lesson. That is the LAST time I put litter down the toliet.. at least this type. Sounds like none actually "are" flushable, despite the advertising claims..
Old February 27th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Momof4and6furries

I highly recommend a litter locker (be sure to get it at wal mart not a pet store - much cheaper) it makes scooping time much more convenient!
Old February 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Senior Contributor

No matter what litter I use,I always put it in bags and out with the garbage,the poor garbage collectors must wonder what's in those heavy bags...I wish someone would come up with an idea to recycle cat-litter!
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

chico2, my garbage man has actually left my garbage on the curb, saying it was to heavy!! (cat litter from 5 cats kinda does make it a bit heavy )
now I have to kind of divy it up between to 2 or 3 bags I set out.

I agree with you, I to wish there was a way of recycling this stuff or if there was some way to compost it my flower beds would be beautiful!!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 27th, 2005, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

I have 3 cats and I too divi it up
Yeah,I wish it was good for my flowerbeds,but then I'd have all the cats in the neighbor-hood using my giant litter-box