Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old May 1st, 2008, 07:56 AM

Spoiled cat

My cat is sooo spoiled that it's to the point (I don't like saying this) that I can't stand him anymore.

He constantly wants me to pick him up, pet him or feed him (treats or cans). I'm so annoyed by his crying that I'll just give in and either give him a can (which I try only 1 per day) or throw him 15-20 treats at a time for him to stop. I can't even do the dishes in peace!

He's 8 years old and in good health. The vet said nothings wrong.

He wakes us up probably 10-15 times per night! If I shut the door he will sit there and cry until I opened the door, I live in an appartment so I can't lock him up in the bathroom because it's next to my room and I can hear him.

Everyone that comes over comments on how annoying he his. If you sit on the couch he jumps right on them and puts his face right in theres and wants to be pet. If you don't he'll walk around you and cry.

I'm just wondering if it's possible to un-spoil a animal??
Old May 1st, 2008, 08:08 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

In my opinion, giving love is NOT spoiling a cat.

Also, your cat has learned (very smart indeed) what actions it takes to get what he wants, just like a child. At 8 years old, it will be difficult, but not impossible to retrain him to stay quiet at night. Play with him before bed, get him really tired, feed him a bit so he won't be hungry, and then you have to ignore him totally all night. Use earplugs if you have to.

Is he a purebred or have some particular breed in him? Some breeds are typically more needy than others, such as Ragdolls .

IMO he is bored, lonely and lovable, consider getting a playmate for him so he can get the companionship he craves.

Whoops, sorry, just noticed your avitar, looks like he is part maine coon, they are very human oriented and want to be around their owners 24/7. They (especially males) do enjoy the company of other cats, highly intelligent and therefore need play stimulation.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Last edited by Love4himies; May 1st, 2008 at 08:13 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:26 AM

thanks for your reply!

I've been trying to ignore him when he cries so he knows I'm not picking him up when he does this. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

I had another male cat (his brother) and they started fighting BAD! I had to give his brother away to my parents. He's been alone for 4 years and when he sees another cat or small dog he will attack (he attacked my friends poodle).

It's hard to ignore him because my bf constantly wants the cat by his side! If he's on the couch, the cat has to be with him, when we go to bed he puts the cat under the blankets on his side and the cat LOVES this!

When we buy a house he will have his own room at night....

Anyways thanks again!
Old May 2nd, 2008, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh,Oh I sense a little jealousy here,maybe it's your boyfriend who needs to "unspoil"the kitty and give you more attention
In my book there is no such thing as spoiling a kitty,although my 3 are on the brink for sure,they are loved very much and take advantage
By the way,your kitty looks beautiful
It would have been great if he could have a kitty-friend to be affectionate wiith and keep him busy...but I guess not.
You must at one time have thought his behaviour to be cute and smart, giving him habits,habits you don't like anymore.
I can almost set the time by my cats habits,they know exactly what they want and when,as if they knew how to tell the time.
Many people here would love their cats to be as affectionat as yours and I agree with L4H,Maine Coons are very smart and affectionate,try to enjoy him
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:36 AM

My Siamese is very demanding. However, I have learned that if I just sit & pet him for 5 - 10 minutes that is all he wants. Usually after 5 minutes he will get up & walk away on his own.

The more I try to ignore him the more frantic he becomes trying to get my attention.

Why don't you give it a try?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 07:51 AM

I love that he is affectionate but when enough is enough I want him to stop!

I'm not jealous of the bf and the cat I just want him to stop baby-ing him or giving him constant attention so the cat will stop!
When we'll have kids the cat will not get as much attention so he better get use to it now!

I know I will never get another cat affectionate like him so I'm enjoying it, sometimes it's just too much.....
Old May 2nd, 2008, 08:59 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I just had to laugh when I read about your bf. Sorry, I think it is so sweet, you have a good hearted man!

I do have a cat that needs constant attention, Jasper, and I love giving him love but I know what you mean, sometimes enough is enough. I have two females, Puddles, who is a loner, and Sweet Pea who loves Jasper to death so we get a break when they are together.

That is too bad he doesn't want kitty attention too, that would solve some of your problem.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:20 AM
Kitty pimp

yeah it can be too much but hey its a cat and you cant really turn them off and in you know?
Old May 2nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Mine are all pretty independent, some more than the others. As you stated, you might not have another cat as affectionate as him, and when you do, then you'll remember this guy and wish you could have that affection again. I think you should just enjoy it.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old May 2nd, 2008, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vick12 View Post
When we'll have kids the cat will not get as much attention so he better get use to it now!
Think of this as a mere taste-test of human parenting. The demands on your attention then will be exponentially more massive.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler