Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:27 AM

Question about Orijen

My dog has been on Orijen almost for almost 1 month, and half way into the bag, he stop eating orijen. He just started last night, refuse to eat orijen. He poos fine, and high energy level as well. I still have sample for wellness core reduced fat, so I tried to mix with Orijen to see if my dog will eat it. And he picked out the wellness and left orijen in the bowl.

Hmm... is there anyway to continue make him eat orijen? We just start switch food with him a month ago.... and he has sensitive stomach, switching too much is not good for his stomach... Do you have any suggestion?

Cat..i can't post reply..not sure why... here is the reply

Wellness core reduced fat is much harder to be found in my area, I have only able to found one store carry it, but it require special order. Also Wellness core reduced fat is way more expensive than orijen.

My dog is 3 year old Corgi mix, who was on Nutro sensitive stomach all his life. While he was on Nutro, he has constant vomiting every 3 or 4 months, and couple times diarrhea each year. Each time we checked with the vet, the vet found nothing wrong with him, and only suggested sensitive stomach. This annual check, the vet suggested to switch his food to Iams or Medi-cal but I disagree the suggestion but do agree that nutro is not the food for my dog. Anyway, so after my research, I have decided to go on Orijen. My dog has been on it for almost a month (with 7 days transition as suggested). Everything went fine except starting last night, he has stop eating orijen

I tried not to make my dog being picky....but if i have no choice, I guess I will try to switch him on Wellness either core reduced fat or weight control (Wellness weight control is much easier to be found).

Anyway, I still would like him continue on Orijen if he could :P *sigh* Concerning the same thing will happen on Wellness..

Pics for my dog
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chienel...7594060534946/

Pics for my cats - my cats have been on Orijen and Wellness can for also 1 month..things are going well with them
http://www.flickr.com/photos/chienel/sets/839490/

Last edited by laifu_mom; April 23rd, 2008 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Edit for Reply ><
Old April 23rd, 2008, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laifu_mom View Post
My dog has been on Orijen almost for almost 1 month, and half way into the bag, he stop eating orijen. He just started last night, refuse to eat orijen. He poos fine, and high energy level as well. I still have sample for wellness core reduced fat, so I tried to mix with Orijen to see if my dog will eat it. And he picked out the wellness and left orijen in the bowl.

Hmm... is there anyway to continue make him eat orijen? We just start switch food with him a month ago.... and he has sensitive stomach, switching too much is not good for his stomach... Do you have any suggestion?
I'm not sure why you don't want to switch to the WellnessCORE? I'm much more impressed iwth it as a food. If you transition slowly, the nutrient composition is similar enough you shouldn't see a big problem. I'd recommend switching to the food he shows a preference for.

What type of dog is he, how old, and when you say sensitive stomach, you meac you've had a history of gastric issues with him? Can you elaborate?

Cat
Old April 24th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Investigative researcher

Have you considered the possibility that that bag has something wrong with it? Could be outdated, or something odd with the batch, or something has happened to the kibble. Just a thought--I had a dog refuse a certain brand of premium dog food a few years ago, but she ate the same food with gusto at my friends--so I bought a new bag and had no problems. It is too bad they cannot just tell us what is going on. Hope you can discover what the problem is soon!

By the way, my two ridgebacks are on Orijen Senior and absolutely love it--they have always had the best food I can find and are not picky, but after they switched to Orijen they inhale their food--almost scarey, lol.
Old April 25th, 2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleRR View Post
Have you considered the possibility that that bag has something wrong with it? Could be outdated, or something odd with the batch, or something has happened to the kibble. Just a thought--I had a dog refuse a certain brand of premium dog food a few years ago, but she ate the same food with gusto at my friends--so I bought a new bag and had no problems. It is too bad they cannot just tell us what is going on. Hope you can discover what the problem is soon!

By the way, my two ridgebacks are on Orijen Senior and absolutely love it--they have always had the best food I can find and are not picky, but after they switched to Orijen they inhale their food--almost scarey, lol.
We have consider that too, but My hubby and I actually test tasted the Orijen, and it taste bitter.. >< Not sure why. We are now putting him on Wellness Reduced Fat (Also did sample tasted and taste fishy and good from human point of view) Maybe my orijen bag went bad, but its expire date is May 2009. We are only half way to the bag... *sigh* now I am not sure what should do with that orijen food. ><
Old April 25th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

How long have you had the bag of food? I don't buy super large bags that won't get used up quickly.

If you think the food is off, I would let the manufacturer know, and I would throw it out unless the manufacturer would like you to return it to them for testing.

Cindy
Old April 26th, 2008, 05:53 AM

What kind of guarantee does ORIJEN have? It should be on the bag. I know Wellness gives you a 100% money back guarantee if you or your dog are not satisfied with their product. You may be able to return it to the store where you bought it.
Old April 29th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Thanks guys, I throw away the orijen bag after 2 week my dog into the food, because I was thinking my dog is doing alright with the food. But this happened ... So there is no way i can return the food to store....*sigh*

I think my dog really don't like orijen, because one day i forgot to put the cat food (orijen as well) to kitchen counter, he did not touch it. Amazing! (Usually my dog will finish and cleaning the cat bowls )

Anyway, my dog has now go on wellness reduced fat, we finally found one petvalu that do carry them. This time we are carefully monitor to see if my dog will have the same behavior again.. :P crossing my fingers~~~