Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 14th, 2005, 08:27 PM

Leaving our dog behind for 2 weeks

My husband and I are planning a trip to Canada this summer, and of course we'll be leaving Casey in Korea for the two weeks we'll be gone. My parents-in-law will take care of him, and we'll definitely do our best to get their apartment dog-ready and educate them on how to take care of him safely. I'm mostly concerned about Casey's emotional trauma. He is very attached to both of us, and he has never been away from me (my husband has gone away on business a few times) for more than 3 days at a time. Does anyone have any advice on how to minimise his distress and make things as easy as possible? Our trip is still weeks away...

Thanks for any help at all!
Old May 14th, 2005, 09:07 PM

If it were me, i'd leave my dogs toys and blanket that he sleeps on with him. Even his dishes, etc.

Maybe you could make a tape with your voice on it, so they can play it once in awhile?
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:15 PM
owned/operated by dogs!

When my significant other and I went to Europe we didn't have the benefit of in-laws to look after the 3 girls. However we have a great relaionship with the dog kennel and employees.

Since you have a couple months to go, I'd suggest taking Casey over there quite often and leaving him there for a couple hours a day to start, working up the time. Let him trust and be comfortable at your in-laws. Move some (not all) of his favorite toys there. Play with him there, get your in-laws to play some games with him.

One thing I always did with my girls is that I would leave them either (don't laugh) really well worn (aka stinky) socks and a t-shirt I wore every night for a week straight. Plus, the kennel let us leave them there for some play afternoons so they would get use to the kennels and other dogs and the layout.
Kerri (03 Oct 93 - 11 Jan 05) If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to
heaven, and bring you home again
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:48 PM

Also be CLEAR about the vet stuff. In the event that they can't reach you, you should have guidelines. I know so many people who would not go as far in treatment as I would and may put the doggy down without my consent (I wouldn't leave my doggies with these people, obviously), but just be sure they know exactly how you feel should an emergency arise.

I wouldn't wash the blankets that the doggies will sleep on for at least a week before, so their smells will be already in them.

They're staying with him right? I sat for a doggy last summer and the owner wanted her to sleep at home, but the doggy needed to be around people far more than being around her stuff...
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:19 AM

Oh my goodness yes, Casey will stay with them! I can't believe anyone would want their dog to just have a visitor feed them! Dogs aren't cats!!!

Great suggestions all -- I especially am glad to be reminded about giving them instructions about what to do in case of a health emergency -- great point. I should also find out where the nearest 24 hour vet clinic is from their house, just in case something bad should happen.

Casey has spent some time there before, and did pretty well with them, but they aren't very good at letting him do his duty outside (they'd rather clean it up inside ) which is one thing I am a little concerned about as he is no longer a puppy and hates to go potty where he isn't supposed to. Maybe we can set something up on their balcony like we have here in our home.

If my brother-in-law doesn't come with us, I won't worry too much -- he's had a lot of experience with Casey -- but right now it looks like he will join us on the trip which is why I'm freaking out a bit!

Any additional suggestions are also quite welcome and thank you levimh, dogznfish and Prin!!!!
Old May 15th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Calming Signals...

Moontamara,
You can also read up on Turid Rugaas and "Calming Signals" a bit. Calming signals are a part of a dogs natural body language, and they use them to show when they are stressed to calm themselves down. You can learn to read them and then even use them yourself around him to calm him down as well. There are alot of things that all of us would normally do before leaving our pooches, that can really stress them out (ie. fussing over them more than usual, rushing around and being really busy and stressed). So it'd be good to know how to make this transition on him as smooth as possible. Turid's website is http://www.turidrugaas.com . Good Luck
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I really envy you having family to take care of your dog - so nice for pup to have grandparents. I definitely agree that your pup should spend a few nights on and off with your in-laws before you go, if they are willing. Re the vet, I would speak with my personal vet and give them permission to do whatever is necessary to save your dog, if possible - assuming quality of life after treatment - in the event they can't reach you, which is likely considering time zone difference. And of course the 24 hour emergency vet.
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:41 AM
owned/operated by dogs!

notifying the vet

That's an excellent suggestion about notifying the vet if you're going to be gone for an extended period. I never thought about that!

We are planning a return visit to France so I will make sure that not only does the kennel have a note on file about extraordinary measures if required but the vet has a personal note as well. Our vet is also a member of our agility club and she's been looking after my girls for 11+ years and I trust her implicity with oru girls

BTW...where in Canada are you visiting?

Deanna
Kerri (03 Oct 93 - 11 Jan 05) If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to
heaven, and bring you home again
Old May 16th, 2005, 02:55 AM

Wow! Thanks for all this great information!

I'll be spending most of the two weeks in Kenora, which is my hometown.

It's great to hear everyone's ideas!