Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
We're a dog's best friend

Wink Dog - cat Moving house, now a cat

You know how some people are specifically 'dog people' or horse people' or 'cat people' they just seem to have this affinity with them, (but not ignoring other animals of course) well I was always like that with dogs.

In the next month or two we were preparing to get a dog from a rescue shelter, but we are now moving house, and basically.....
at the present moment in time mum says if we are to get any pet, a cat will be better suited to the situation than a dog right now so we are thinking about getting a cat, but a dog isn't ruled out.

I was wondering, seeing as we are now thinking about getting a cat and not a dog, are there any useful tips and hint to do with cats, feeding looking after, anything people have learnt from their own pets that aren't in books??

I have done lots of reasearch online, but am wondering if you guys have any tips for me. Thank you sooooo much!!!

By the way, Soter was the name I was preparing to call a dog, but now I need to think of cute cat names, unless I see a cat and think of a name for it then and there. Any good names??

Soter/

I do!!
Old January 7th, 2009, 11:34 AM
-

Cats are easier than dogs , IMO , they ask to be fed twice a day , fresh water , a clean litter , toys , maybe a cat tree to look out the window and do their "manicure" on it. Love and affection of course !

As for a name , I think you should wait until you get your cat. Sometimes we choose a name and then get the pet , and we find the name doesn't fit this pet in particular , just my opinion of course
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soter View Post
I have done lots of reasearch online, but am wondering if you guys have any tips for me.
Feed wet food, no kibble. Good nutrition is the stepping stone to good health, and there is no dry in the universe that is good for cats.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Feed wet food, no kibble. Good nutrition is the stepping stone to good health, and there is no dry in the universe that is good for cats.
I know that dry is definatly good for dogs because it keps their jaws strong and most of all keeps their teeth clean, are you sure this desn't apply to cats?? How do you keep a cat's teeth clean?

The thing is, on boxing day 2004 (tsunami :sad a stray tabby came round to our house so we kind of adopted her, fed her and then she left for a while and came back with four kittens. so cute! But we had to give her away cos' we were all going away for a week and none of the neighbours would look after her anyway, we fed her dry and wet food mixed.

Is the reason you are not big for dry food because it is bad for cats, or is it because wet food is just better for cats??

Thankyou!

I do!!
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:48 PM

Also, another thing is that you mentioned good nutrition, well, if it were wet and dry mixed, would that be okay??
(obviously with smaller quantities so the cat doesn't get fat)

I do!!
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Cats are much easier to take care of.

I second sugarcatmom's advice of NO kibble, but quality canned food.

Here is some reading for you:

http://www.catinfo.org/

http://maxshouse.com/feline_nutrition.htm

Cat's don't have a tendency to drink enough water, they are made to get their fluids from eating raw meat. For this reason, if cats eat kibble, they become chronically dehydrated, leading to urinary blockages, bladder infections. They also should be eating meat, not grains, as they are carnivores so some research on quality food is essential to ensure a healthy kitty.

All cats should be spayed or neutered by 6 months as male cats have a tendency to spray urine to mark their territory when they mature. And of course you know happens to females when they mature .

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I know that dry is definatly good for dogs because it keps their jaws strong and most of all keeps their teeth clean, are you sure this desn't apply to cats?? How do you keep a cat's teeth clean?
Actually it's not true that kibble keeps teeth clean, for cats or dogs. Here's a link for you to read: http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.ph...dcleantheteeth

Best way to keep a cat's teeth clean? Either feed chunks of raw meat and bone (like chicken necks), or learn to brush their teeth.

Quote:
Is the reason you are not big for dry food because it is bad for cats, or is it because wet food is just better for cats??
It's bad for cats. Has inappropriate ingredients (too much plant matter, not enough meat), is way overprocessed, and is lacking moisture, like Love4himies mentioned. Will every cat that eats kibble die because of it? No. But you definitely increase the chances that it will come down with any number of serious health conditions, like diabetes, bladder/urinary tract issues, kidney disease, IBD, allergies, dental disease.......

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Soter, I've read on several sites that the whole dry food for keeping teeth clean is a myth. I have been feeding my cats a wet diet for over a year and a half and aside from Czarina, the vet has told me all my cats have great teeth and gums.

Ditto what Frenchy said, but I'd like to add if you plan on getting one cat think about getting a playmate as well. Two cats is no more trouble than one and they will be able to keep each other company, which is great especially if you adopt a kitten.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:30 PM

Oooohhhh, well that makes loads of sense, thanks for the links.

Soter/

I do!!
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:40 AM

If I got a cat, how do I train it not to run off and live somewhere else? I know I can feed it and it will realize that this place is where it gets food, but what if someone else fed it thinking it was a stray or something, and it ended up running off or just getting loads of food!!!

I do!!
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:50 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Adopting in 2's is usually better
especially siblings, and since they are creatures of the night. It's better they have eachother to play with then you at 3am
They LOVE to play, and keeping up with them is impossible, so another cat would keep them happy and well excercised.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:10 AM

Cool. I will definatly try to do that then.

About my former question, should I just keep ''the cat/the cats'' in the house for the first few days??

I do!!
Old January 8th, 2009, 07:46 AM

Soter- if you can, completely indoors or indoors mostly and outdoors only on a leash or in a large enclosure is the best way to go with cats for their own safety. Not because they will run off, cats are territorial, and will usually,but not always, stay in their own territory (which for males can be quite large).
Outside there are many dangers. They can get hit by cars, or sleep inside one to keep warm and get mangled when the motor is turned on. Neighbours may not appreciate having your cat wandering through their property and call animal control or quietly kidnap and remove your pet. If your city has laws against pets roaming like mine does, you could even be fined. Dogs, on leash or not, will often attack them and do serious damage. Wild animals will also attack them, if you happen to live somewhere near rural and wilderness areas. Even in the city you occasionally find foxes who might decide a cat looks tasty. Then there are diseases they can catch. Rabies from just about any animal infected with it, if the cat hasn't been vaccinated. There are serious cat diseases they can catch from other cats that haven't been vaccinated. Even with vaccinations they will likely pick up worms and need regular deworming. All of which can be avoided by keeping them indoors, or outdoors only under supervision.
I will note that some strays are almost impossible to turn into completely indoor pets because they have been outside so long and refuse to change.
If you have to let them out, try feeding them at the same time every day, morning and evening, and after the evening feeding bring them in for the night. Cats like routine, and will usually stick to the same schedule ( and woe to the human who is ten seconds late with dinner)
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Soter- if you can, completely indoors or indoors mostly and outdoors only on a leash or in a large enclosure is the best way to go with cats for their own safety. Not because they will run off, cats are territorial, and will usually,but not always, stay in their own territory (which for males can be quite large).
Outside there are many dangers. They can get hit by cars, or sleep inside one to keep warm and get mangled when the motor is turned on. Neighbours may not appreciate having your cat wandering through their property and call animal control or quietly kidnap and remove your pet. If your city has laws against pets roaming like mine does, you could even be fined. Dogs, on leash or not, will often attack them and do serious damage. Wild animals will also attack them, if you happen to live somewhere near rural and wilderness areas. Even in the city you occasionally find foxes who might decide a cat looks tasty. Then there are diseases they can catch. Rabies from just about any animal infected with it, if the cat hasn't been vaccinated. There are serious cat diseases they can catch from other cats that haven't been vaccinated. Even with vaccinations they will likely pick up worms and need regular deworming. All of which can be avoided by keeping them indoors, or outdoors only under supervision.
I will note that some strays are almost impossible to turn into completely indoor pets because they have been outside so long and refuse to change.
If you have to let them out, try feeding them at the same time every day, morning and evening, and after the evening feeding bring them in for the night. Cats like routine, and will usually stick to the same schedule ( and woe to the human who is ten seconds late with dinner)
Great reasons to have cats indoors only!

More to add to that, some neighbors HATE cats and will do anything to get rid of them......even poison, sad but true. What cats do whrn they are outside is not pleasant either, defacate and urinate in gardens, on others properties and childrens sandboxes. Urinate/spray on windows and doors,and everywhere else including patios and BBQ's. They howl and scream when fighting and usually in the middle of the night. And lets not forget the wildlife that they destroy, birds, mice, rabbits, often babies that they don't kill they just play with, and the baby or little animal screams in pain and fear....it's horrible.
Please keep your cat/s indoors. we have an outdoor enclosure for our cats, so they can still go out but not roam.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Senior Contributor

Soter, a cat is infinitely safer indoors. One of the main reasons I bought Czarina inside is because she was in danger of being poisoned by a downstairs neighbor. On one occasion I also saw her dragging a dead bird from a bush. Cats area not only a threat to smaller outside creatures, but they are also a target of other larger animals as well as people.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old January 8th, 2009, 10:32 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
If I got a cat, how do I train it not to run off and live somewhere else? I know I can feed it and it will realize that this place is where it gets food, but what if someone else fed it thinking it was a stray or something, and it ended up running off or just getting loads of food!!!
Keep it indoors, there are far too many dangers outside for kitties. They can get into toxins, injured, hit by a car, or fall prey to other animals. Supervised outside time is best for your kitty. Also spaying/neutering will help your kitty resist the urge to wonder or run out the door.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:41 AM

be prepared for some anti social behavior when you bring a new cat to a new enviornment. When we moved into our new house I put our 3 cats in the bedroom and closed the door to let them get aquainted with new smells and everything before they started to explore the whole house. Cats are by nature very cautious and nervous in new situations and alot of things can startle them easily. our cats spent 3 days in the bedroom before they started to venture out of the doorway. and even then the ceiling fan scared the wits out of one of them. cats are a world away from dogs when it comes to socializing and their need to please 'their masters'. basically cats could care less if you like them! you can coax them to a certain extent but if they are freaked out it's best to let them alone to deal with it.. they will eventually come around
Old January 8th, 2009, 10:58 AM

My worth.

First, wait until you move to get your pet, the reason is, that the first move is going to be tramatic enough for the animal, and then just when getting adjusted, you move again. Move and then get the animal, or animals, and then they will get used to your new place a lot easier.

Second: If you get a cat, keep it indoors. A young cat will be easier to train that way, and are much healthier than outdoors cats.

Third: If you are also interested in getting a dog, make sure it is cat friendly, also the cat is dog friendly. Then let them adjust to each other.

If you are getting your animal/s from the same place, then maybe at the same time would be good, ask the people there if they are cat/dog friendly.
(Have to watch that they are, otherwise there could be problems)

When I got my rescue cat and dog, the cat was here first, then the dog came, however, both were friendly to the other, (they came from different rescue groups) but it did take a little time for them to adjust to each other.

take care
binky
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the info guys, this is why I love the pet forum!!

If I lived in a built up area, I probably wouldn't get a cat at all because I think that even though it gets enough excersize, leash walking is not natural at all for a cat. (but I adore the idea of an enclosure)
Also, they are built for outside, they can see in the dark, they are small, slinky and fast, and even though there are many, many dangers for a cat outside, they are not incapable.
That is I mean to say, in the countryside.
In the city or in built up areas, I agree with every single word every one of you have said, it is so true. There are dangers around every corner, or even closer together than that

But in the countryside with very few houses and even fewer cars, and sheep and hills everywhere, I think that it is only natural for a cat to be outside, I would even go so far as to say it is cruel to keep a cat inside with such land to explore and much less dangers, and a cat is naturally an outside animal.

I live in exactly the kind of place that I described, not a built up area in the slightest so I think if I got a cat it would most certainly be aloud to roam outside... to an extent.

PLEASE tell me your views.

I do!!
Old January 11th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Soter, I'm sorry but I don't believe just because you live in the countryside it is less dangeruous. There are predetors in the wilderness/countryside as well.

And all animals are naturally outdoor animals if you look at it that way. Dogs are built just as good as cats to be outside, so why not just keep them outside all the time as well. Yorkies are dogs, so they'd do just as well outside fending for themselves. (insert sarcasm)

There is nothing cruel in keeping a cat inside. Yes, I keep all of mine indoors and I'd love dearly to have a house so that I can build them an outdoor enclosure, just so they can enjoy the smells and sounds of the outdoors. But I'd NEVER EVER allow them to roam outside, no matter how far I was from city life.

I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but when I read your post to me, it was oozing with double standard.

Old January 11th, 2009, 03:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I live in exactly the kind of place that I described, not a built up area in the slightest so I think if I got a cat it would most certainly be aloud to roam outside... to an extent.

PLEASE tell me your views.
I would still make sure to keep the cat inside at night. Are there dogs or foxes running around in your area? These can be very real threats to even the most outdoor savy cat. I would also be concerned about nearby roads, as it only takes one car to kill a cat. I'm not saying you absolutely should never let your cat outside, but these are just some factors to consider.

Old January 11th, 2009, 03:52 PM

I don't think you're a jerk.

I think I was wrong and worded it badly when saying ''cruel'' but I just dont think its right for cats to spend all the time inside.

That is my honest opinion.

I am not saying that there are no dangers from living in the countryside, and I know that there are predators and however few houses, there is still the threat of poisoning ect. but I DO think there are much less dangers.

Repeating what I said before, i dont think it's right for cats to spend all time inside, but I definatly don't think its bad for them, I just think that if a cat had the oppertunity to explore and have fun without human confinemant, then why not??

I do!!
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:03 PM

And yes, its is natural for dogs to be outside animals too, I think dogs can be outside animals just as well as cats. No disagreement there.
But the difference with dogs is that though people may have an aversion to cats in their gardens, the majority of people are far less likely to chase a cat off their property that a dog.
Cats catch birds and rats when loose. Dog can chase cows and horses and sheep, upsetting them and farmers 99% more than cats do, and in a lot of cases dogs have killed larger farm animals.
With the more built up areas in the world today, cats probably have a better chance of surviving that dogs do, that is just through natural ability (i mean, the world wasn't always full of cars and skyscrapers)

If I had a dog, living where I live now, I would not let it run lose like a cat because

1. It would, as I said, most likely upset all the sheep living far and wide around me

2. Probably create more upset with humans by it being on their property than cats would (though I do agree that people CAN have an aversion to cats

3. Because dogs do not have exceptional night vision like cats, they can not escape as quickly and 'get into small places to hide' like cats can when in danger.

They are my reasons why i would not let a dog roam free like a cat, and that is excluding the dangers out there mentioned that are the same for cats.

But I do agree with you in the fact that dogs are built like cats to survive outside.

Just wondering, what did you mean when you said ???

''I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but when I read your post to me, it was oozing with double standard.''

I do!!
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
I would still make sure to keep the cat inside at night. Are there dogs or foxes running around in your area? These can be very real threats to even the most outdoor savy cat. I would also be concerned about nearby roads, as it only takes one car to kill a cat. I'm not saying you absolutely should never let your cat outside, but these are just some factors to consider.
One thing to sugarcatmom, I would definatly keep a cat inside at night, no doubt about it.

I do!!
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:22 PM
-

soter , I do live in the "country" , and if you would see how many dead cats I see by the side of the road , maybe it would make you change your mind. and those who gets attack by coyotes , raccoons , foxes ....
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
One thing to sugarcatmom, I would definatly keep a cat inside at night, no doubt about it.

I think each person's situation is different and given the right circumstances, I personally don't see a problem with allowing cats some outdoor time. I would try to supervise it, at least initially, and would be less inclined to let a previously indoor-only cat out (they may not even want to go out). Just my

Old January 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Just wondering, what did you mean when you said ???

''I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything, but when I read your post to me, it was oozing with double standard.''
I see it a lot. People love dogs but hate cats and think they are pests. They think that dogs should be protected more than cats. Not saying that's you, but being a cat owner, I think all cats and dogs should be treated equally in the protection front.

You hear people talking about puppy mills and dog shelters, and you hear so little about cat shelters and kitten mills, which do exsist. Sure it's great to make the public aware of them, but the public should also be aware that cats are animals that need help too.

Sorry, that turned into a rant not directed towards you.

Old January 11th, 2009, 04:27 PM

Don't be sorry AT ALL.

I am a nutter about all animals, i would never like a dog more than a cat, or vice versa, or with any other animal for that matter.

But how are my posts double standard??
I don't recollect saying ''dogs should be protected more than cats.''
Or if I did, please tell me, I must have missed something big here!

I do!!
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
soter , I do live in the "country" , and if you would see how many dead cats I see by the side of the road , maybe it would make you change your mind. and those who gets attack by coyotes , raccoons , foxes ....

I am not exculing the fact that YES there are dangers but that doesn't mean cats shouldn't be aloud to roam free.

I do!!
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
I don't recollect saying ''dogs should be protected more than cats.''
Or if I did, please tell me, I must have missed something big here!
Just in case, then I don't think that YOU think that I said those exact words, but It seems you think I said something along those lines because you said my posts are 'double standard' and when I asked how, you said that.

Did I say that??

I do!!