Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 28th, 2012, 06:05 AM

Emergency: my dog needs polisporin eye drops and cant find any anywhere in Montreal!

My poor dog has an eye infection and absolutely needs polisporin eye drops. Yes the human kind.

I have tried the veterinary stuff in the past but it simply irritates her really bad and makes her life hell while the polisporin one makes her feel better in 2-3 days!

I would gladly pay anything for this does anyone have ANY lying around or know a pharmacy that has some left in Montreal area?

Yes this is my first post but I didnt know where else to turn!
Old May 28th, 2012, 07:47 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Hi Sspikey,

Polisporin is like a toothbrush, in that you'll find it in any pharmacy in Quebec. As far as I know it does not go in the eyes - there is an opthalmic fluid that 'can' go in eyes depending on the condition.

But because you are not a vet, you should not be prescribing treatments for your dog. maybe the dog has something that looks like an infection but it's something else. maybe the dog needs something stronger at this point. You should not be trying things yourself - as the dog may well suffer for it.

This is something that should not be too expensive but is something that should 100% be treated by a vet. Good luck!
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 28th, 2012, 10:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I wonder if there is some kind of distribution problem with that stuff? My Vet suggested it when the Vet type was not having the desired result and I couldn't find it either. I checked at 5 stores, not in any of them

If you can't find it I'd ask the pharmacist for an alternative and check with my Vet to see if that was OK to use.

Marko, there is a Polysporin antibiotic eye drop. I didn't think there was one either. I especially didn't think there was one when I couldn't find it. But there they were, all the little labelled empty spots on the shelves. LOL

http://www.polysporin.ca/p-eyeear
Old May 28th, 2012, 05:08 PM

Go to any Pharmaprix, they sell polysporin eye/ear drops, you may have to ask behind the counter at the pharmacy.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspikey View Post
My poor dog has an eye infection and absolutely needs polisporin eye drops. Yes the human kind.

I have tried the veterinary stuff in the past but it simply irritates her really bad and makes her life hell while the polisporin one makes her feel better in 2-3 days!

I would gladly pay anything for this does anyone have ANY lying around or know a pharmacy that has some left in Montreal area?

Yes this is my first post but I didnt know where else to turn!
It is not always safe to give or use human med on a pet. You should really be careful about you put in your dog eyes.
Old May 28th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Hi Sspikey,

Polisporin is like a toothbrush, in that you'll find it in any pharmacy in Quebec. As far as I know it does not go in the eyes - there is an opthalmic fluid that 'can' go in eyes depending on the condition.

But because you are not a vet, you should not be prescribing treatments for your dog. maybe the dog has something that looks like an infection but it's something else. maybe the dog needs something stronger at this point. You should not be trying things yourself - as the dog may well suffer for it.

This is something that should not be too expensive but is something that should 100% be treated by a vet. Good luck!
I agree with you 100% marko that the OP should bring her dog to a vet.
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:35 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Polysporin Ear and Eye drops are perfectly safe for cats & dogs. It is recommended by vets for mild eye irritations and I have used them on my foster kittens when they haven't quite gotten their coordination yet and are clawing each other in they eyes. However, if the infection gets worse or is bad to begin with, then you would need prescription strength meds.

I have always had to ask the Pharmacist for it as they are kept behind the counter.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old May 29th, 2012, 06:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
Polysporin Ear and Eye drops are perfectly safe for cats & dogs. It is recommended by vets for mild eye irritations and I have used them on my foster kittens when they haven't quite gotten their coordination yet and are clawing each other in they eyes. However, if the infection gets worse or is bad to begin with, then you would need prescription strength meds.

I have always had to ask the Pharmacist for it as they are kept behind the counter.
My Vet too. After a case that did not clear up satisfactorily she told me to try it and advised using it any time I thought goobery eyes were coming back. But I never did find it.
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:12 AM

Just because many of us have used this product (myself included) does not mean that it's the answer to the OPs problem. It might be, it might not be. Maybe the pet needs something more.

None of us have seen what the infection looks like or know how bad it is. We do not know how long it has been going on. We do not know if the infection has spread, or even if it is an infection.

I stand firmly by my instinct here. Based only on the info in this thread - the answer at this time is not polysporin. It's a vet visit.

Maybe the answer after the vet visit will be polysporin, maybe not.

Good luck sspikey.
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter
Old May 29th, 2012, 07:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Just because many of us have used this product (myself included) does not mean that it's the answer to the OPs problem. It might be, it might not be. Maybe the pet needs something more.

None of us have seen what the infection looks like or know how bad it is. We do not know how long it has been going on. We do not know if the infection has spread, or even if it is an infection.

I stand firmly by my instinct here. Based only on the info in this thread - the answer at this time is not polysporin. It's a vet visit.

Good luck sspikey.
Oh well, I agree with this too. It's just that some, you included Marko, seemed to not know of the product. Perhaps the OP will come back and reassure us.

You never know, the OP's dog could be a mix with the MDr1 gene and the product might contain one of the many things dogs with it cannot tolerate.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 07:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Thought I would update this. I was looking for this yesterday and I asked the Pharmacist. It is supposed to be on the shelf, where I was, Shoppers Drugmart, but she said there is a widespread shipping problem and I won't find it anywhere. This is in Ontario. She also said she did not have an alternative, that I would have to get a Rx for something else.

OP, did you find something to help your pup?
Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:12 PM

When Scruffy had an eye infection I was told by teh vet to use the human polysporin eye drops. You can't find them - you have to ask the pharmacist. They keep them behind the counter, for some reason.
Old May 19th, 2014, 08:31 PM

I can say with absolute confidence that it is people like you that lead to dogs getting abandoned and ending up in rescues. This person has a known condition in their dog that they have successfully used a product before that has brought about a remedy. But you perpetuate fear uncertainty and doubt thereby NEVER actually answering a question or giving reasonable opine. You just keep saying "take them to a vet".

So when your kid skins his knee do you run him to emerg and have an MRI done or do you slap some poly and a bandage on it first? You see, it is this absolutely ridiculous fear mongering that has been brought forth by the veterinary community that has led to the affordability of an animal disappearing. Your suggestion of just going straight to the vet is going to cost this individual $300 for an outcome that will be no better but will allow the vet to fuel his boat for the long weekend.

Quote:

Good luck sspikey.

Last edited by hazelrunpack; May 19th, 2014 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Please keep your posts civil
Old May 20th, 2014, 07:57 AM

Not sure why the attitude, especially on a thread that's already a couple of years old. Especially when it's your first post.

I personally suggested (and some but not all members after me) that the original poster go see a vet. But because I live in the real world where the the best advice isn't always possible for different reasons - I and other members also told the OP (who seemed to want this product pretty badly, panicked perhaps) within 90 minutes of the post, where to find the product she sought.

I don't see why you have a problem here - The people on our board just offer the best advice they can based on their experience and love for animals...
Pet facebook group
Follow me on Twitter