Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old October 25th, 2010, 10:48 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Nobody knows the other person's situation so one should not assume anything.

I think this should be our mantra. But I would be the first to break it so that wouldn't work.
Unfortunately because of the sheer number of cats I have I have no choice but to buy Friskies and FF. I try to stick to the pate style foods but occasionally buy the gravy ones as some of the kitties prefer them. Do I feel guilty because I can't afford to feed them better food? Yep. But, unless I get another job or win the lottery, I have to face the facts that I feed the best I can. I do supplement with Wellness when I can.
When I cringe is when I am working and a customer comes through my line with a couple hundred dollars worth of groceries, junk food galore, pop, tons of meat, and the cheapest crappiest bag of cat food we sell (about 3 bucks a bag). I recall one lady I overheard in the pet food aisle saying to her hubby "I am NOT going to spend $6 on a bag of cat food!" And I can't do a bloody thing about it! I can and sometimes do tell them about better food choices. I endure the dirty looks from people. I am waiting the day one goes and complains to management about me trying to talk them out of buying the food. Not much else I can do.
I guess the only thing we can do here is to keep trying to educate people as to the best foods for cats. I don't think any of us have been snobbish about it .

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 25th, 2010, 10:52 AM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
You asked why should you believe the people here who have replied to your thread. Well, it's because the people here have taken the time to do their research.
You know it's a plain and simple answer without anyone getting upset or insulted.. We didn't ask you to believe us. You asked a question that several members answered. Some members here are better off than others,,some feed raw,,some feed canned/raw,,some feed just canned..few feed kibble..Now yes several of us have met each other but loooong after we had done research and started feeding our pets what they're fed today so it isn't some big conspiracy. No one is asking you to believe or disbelieve us..One thing i WOULD like to point out..not one of us has anything to benefit from answering you,,we don't get a kick back from any petfood manufacturer,,chicken farm or any other source,,it wasn't some part of a school course we were taking or anything else. Those that answered you love their pets just as they love their skin family members and wanted to feed them the best diet they could.
Old October 25th, 2010, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Unfortunately because of the sheer number of cats I have I have no choice but to buy Friskies and FF. I try to stick to the pate style foods but occasionally buy the gravy ones as some of the kitties prefer them.
14+, I give my gang FF too when I run out of their regular stuff. I don't think the ingredients are terrible. I always get the "classic" ones, since they seem to be the better of the lot and they don't have the wheat gluten, which was what caused much of the problem with the recall back in 2007.

And I'll tell you something. Here, where I live it would cost me close to the same amount to feed my gang FF than it would to feed them Precise! For me a 13.5 oz can of Precise is around $2.25. A 3.5 oz can of FF is 50 cents. I'd have to buy 4 cans of FF to get about the same amount and it would cost me $2.00 per feeding. So you can see I'd only be saving around 25 cents if I just bought FF. For now, I can afford to pay the extra 25 cents, but I have no problem buying FF when I need to and I would not feel guilty. Like I said, I don't think it's a bad food if you know which ones to get.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/