Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 7th, 2005, 10:46 PM

PitBull urination problem =(

Hello Everyone!

I just registered on this site today, because it looks like there are alot of knowledgeable people around these parts.

So about.......5 months ago my wife and I adopted a PitBull from a home that could no longer have her. When we got her she was potty trained. She is now about 3 years old or so. She is also spayed already.

She was and still is a little shy which makes me think she may have had kind of a rough life as a pup. At one time she did also have a friend (another dog that we had to put down).

So to make a long story short.....lately when either my wife or I comes home from work (or from being away from home for an hour or more) the dog get's anxious and urinates. Not a lot, it's not creating puddles or anything but just a little bit here and there. And after she has time to say Hi to us, she is fine and stops.

We have made it known to her that she does not need to do that, but if we discipline her in any way, it just get's worse.

I have a couple of questions really. First, is this at all normal? We previously had a different PitBull who would do the same if he knew he was in trouble for something. Second, has anyone else been through this and what can we do to help??????????

You can reply here to this message or email me. My address is mdcarey [at] cox [dot] net (of course taking the brackets out and putting in the symbols here.....I just don't like spam =)

Thanks a ton!!!
Old March 7th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Performance Spaniels

If it is when people are coming home, it is most likely excited urination. Your last dog would have been submissive urination. I have a cocker spaniel that is an excited pee'r when it is someone she hasn't seen in a while. Most articles on the subject say to desensitize your dog to the stimulus that makes them excited. Like practicing coming home from work repeatedly for a few days.
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:11 AM

If discipline makes it worse, it's probably submissive urination, especially considering she is already shy and her possible background. Best thing is to ignore her completely when you get home for a few minutes until she quiets down a bit, and when you do talk to her do it in a lower, quieter voice and don't stand over her. If she was abused as a pup this is why she may have become overly submissive, and some dogs are just naturally that way. Here's a link that talks a little more about it:
http://www.westieclubamerica.com/beh...urination.html
Old March 8th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Exictable urination and submissive urination should NEVER ben disciplined! Just ignore the dog when you first come in the house. Maybe at first don't say anything to her, just put her leash on and go outside, then say your hellos! But please, do not yell or scold!
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Senior Contributor

As everyone has said, and it should be emphasized, NEVER scold the dog in any way for this. A dog submissively urinates to placate or show respect to the "boss". If you scold, the dog thinks it has not been submissive or respectful enough and will do it MORE. Instead you need to build up her confidence with obedience work etc to make her successful.

This is not a lack of housetraining, and the dog cannot help it. Also do not try to comfort her. She will see it as praise for urinating.

Here is a link on this: If you follow this advice the problem should go away.
Sumissive urinating
Old March 8th, 2005, 11:46 AM

Quote:
LuckyRescueIf you scold, the dog thinks it has not been submissive or respectful enough and will do it MORE. Instead you need to build up her confidence with obedience work etc to make her successful.

This is not a lack of housetraining, and the dog cannot help it.

AMEN to That!! Your dog will probably do well in obedience too because of her desire to please you! Shape the behaviour, work with her
Old March 14th, 2005, 01:42 PM

Wow - thanks for all the replies! I did not expect so many.

Anyways, we've been doing what is suggested and letting her calm down for a while before we let her out. It has seemed to help a little bit. It's not an every day mess now at least

It's just weird why out of the blue she would start doing this, but I think working with her this way will get things taken care of. I read up a bit about submissive urination and the other one, exitable urination I think it was called so I learned alot that way too.

Again, thanks for all your replies, truly a great bunch of people