Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 15th, 2008, 10:00 PM

Squamous Cell Carcinoma

Kobee has just received his diag . I'm scared and he dosen't understand all the attention he is getting, from the vets and dr's that have seen him in a 24 hr period last week. Biopsy, cat scans and all the normal work up. The University of georgia has done an excellent job and I feel were very concerned with his health. Trying to explain the issues at hand and what options we have to recovery. Surgery was suggested which will involve removing his upper jaw ans his nose to rid him of the cancer. Can I put him through that surgery and let him live another 2 yrs or can I allow him to rest peacefully and then end his live when the time has come? when is the time? what do you look for? He can't talk so, how do I know he's in pain or he is ready to take his last step. I need some help with answers. I'm meeting the surgeon this week to discuss the options and the extent of his surgery and the recovery?
has anyone been through this kind of cancer
please help save kobee
Old September 15th, 2008, 10:19 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Right now your best sources of information are the vets who've seen Kobee. What have they said about his prognosis?

Make sure when you see the surgeon that you bring a list of questions (written down so you don't forget any) and maybe even a tape recorder--it's easy to miss something that's said when you're stressed by a situation. Ask the surgeon everything that's on your mind.

Once you have more information it might be easier to make the decision, kobees pal. But it's never an easy decision to make.

for you and Kobee. I hope you get better news from the surgeon than you seem to be expecting.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:11 PM

Thanks

I just don't want him to suffer. We have spent several non sleeping nights..talking about his condition.
He has been panting for more then 6 months but the tumor just showed up in the past 4 weeks so he has had this for a long time before it became evident he was getting sick. He slept more then usual but we figured he was old and over weight and that was causing him to pant.
We have an appointment monday with the surgeon at UGA. So we will have to make a decision at that time..
The question list is a great idea and thank you.

I'll keep you updated..
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Try to get some sleep in the meantime...wouldn't do for you to get sick, too.

Please do post back afterward! And for Kobee on Monday!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old September 17th, 2008, 08:25 PM
-

It's always a hard decision to make :sad: the list of questions is great , don't forget to write the answers too as you might forget (I often do , and then remembers some of them days later)

My 10 yr old golden Sam was diagnose with a fibrosarcoma cancer tumor. They couldn't do surgery on it as it was too big. I wouldn't have gone through it anyway , had another golden with that same type of cancer , she got surgery but it came back after 2 months. Sam was given 2-6 months. It's been 9 months now. He's not doing good but it has nothing to do with the cancer , it's the weight of the lump that is making him uncomfortable.

I'm very sorry you and your dog are going through this. :sad:
Old September 21st, 2008, 06:59 PM

I hope Sam feels better and gets some releif.
We are going back to UGA in the morning for consult. I'm really distressed over having to make this decision. I noticed today that his other nostril is starting to develop and mass. It is not as large but it does appear to be blocking his air way a little. I have thought of about 10 questions and am ready. the last time I went in they answered all my questions with out even having to ask them. It's like they know what an ower will ask and provided us with good info to start.
I just wish I had been at the hospital when they gave me the diag of cancer I'm sure there was panic and fear in my voice I didn't know what to ask at that point.

I'll keep posting updates..
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

for the consultation tomorrow, kobees pal. We'll be thinking of you.

Old September 22nd, 2008, 01:43 AM
-

I'm very sorry to hear about Kobee. :sad:

The list of questions to ask is a great idea as well as writing down the replies. As Hazel suggested, a tape recorder would be even better. Good luck tomorrow.