Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old January 16th, 2005, 10:12 AM

grooming a Golden Retriever

When I did my research about Golden Retrievers, experts weren't kidding when they said there would be lots of fur! I try to brush Rhonda every 2 days, and I get about 2 good-sized clumps of fur out of her brush . Are they more prone to shedding at certain times of the year - or during certain types of weather (I live in North-East Ontario)? We feed our Goldie top notch food that you can only buy at the vets - but is there another trick to any of this or are we just going to have to love her just as much with all of her fur!
Old January 16th, 2005, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor

What you have to understand is that the food that you buy at the vets is not really top notch.If it's Science Diet,read the ingredients.If I recall their is corn listed in the first few ingredients.There are much better foods out there then at the vets.

I've never owned a Golden Retriever,but have owned GSD's.And they shed 24/7.My dogs always seem to shed more in the spring.They actually have patches that you can just pull off.But for the past few years they were given Eagle Pack Holistic.And they shed less.And lots of brushing helps.They became used to the vaccum....

Some foods to try.
Innova
Canadea
Wellness
Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover Soul
Nutro
Eagle Pack Holistic
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:15 AM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

'tis the season

Momofrhonda: for what it is worth, a lot of us golden owners are finding the same thing right now (check out canadiangoldens web site). We think it is the crazy weather, warm/freezing. The dogs's are confused and are blowing their winter coats early. I am plucking clumps of fur out of Champ. I can use a stripper and a rake on him daily and get significant amounts of fur out of him. I am amazed that the poor fellow is not bald by now.

I have used Shed Stopper (Petvalu in Ontario). It is a solution you can put on their coats which stops non-seasonal shedding.

Also, the quality of food. Champ is on Nutro large breed and it did help when I switched him from Science Diet.

Hope this helps, don't be discouraged, the shedding seems to be abnormally bad this year.
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Not just Goldens that are shedding like crazy this year. Buddy leaves a bag of hair for me everyday and he gets supplements and good food. I agree this weather is part of the cause for sure because Bud should be bald by now for the amount he has shed.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 17th, 2005, 10:29 AM
AmInaL

Toby was BEYOND in August. I would take him out on the step twice a day and brush him till my arms got tired. BIG wads of hair...I often wondered if he was part Gremlin.

Our weather is pretty cold, so he's pretty minimal right now. But I totally relate and sympathize
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Owned by goldens

shedding

I have two goldens and both are shedding big time. I vacuum every day and it doesn't show. My younger boy will be a year old in a few weeks so the cause of his shedding may be because he is getting his adult coat.
Check the ingredients of the food you are giving your dog. It makes a huge difference.