Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 15th, 2005, 06:06 PM

dog walking and jumping

Hi! I have a question for all of you dog lovers...
I love taking my 8-month Goldie out for walks, but sometimes in the middle of the walk, she will start to jump at her leash and sometimes will jump on me - it would seem for no reason whatsoever - I say she gets "crazy eyes" ! I stop the walk and stand "like a tree" until she settles, but how long will this go on!
Old January 15th, 2005, 07:01 PM
<-----nut ball

Hmm...

Just a though. Is he nuetered? If not, maybe he's getting the scent of a female and it's making him go crazy
Old January 15th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

I think she is wanting to take control of the walk - literally! She is bred to hunt all day and the slow walk might be frustrating & boring to her - she wants to play and romp.
Your choice to stop until she gathers herself is good because she does not get attention or anything she wants until she has manners again.
I would have a good game of fetch before the walk to help her get rid of some of that energy.
I would also run her through her drills before and during the walk - everytime you ask her to do something and she does it there is a release of Seratonin and other calming chemicals which make her calmer and more cooperative overall - plus you are giving her jobs which she craves and deepening your leadership role.
A happy dog is one with jobs and a great leader - they are easy to provide and make the walks more interesting for you both.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old January 15th, 2005, 07:21 PM
AmInaL

I have to say as the owner of a 16 month old Golden, my guy will do the same thing, especially when he has pent up energy.

We will be walking great...then all of a sudden he starts running around like mad. I do notice he does this more when there are snow banks, because he simply loves to dive in them.

I try to let him get a good run somewhere on a regular basis, but if he hasn't had a run in a while and we attempt a walk, he gets a little hyper.

As he's getting older and being corrected (I will usually shorten the leash a bit so he can't flail around and stand still until he's calm, then I say "Walk Nice" and then slowly proceed.) He doesn't do it very often now, he's coming along nicely, but it's going to take time, young Goldens are goofy little creatures. Good luck
Old January 21st, 2005, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Capone does it too. Its usually when he has a poop or theres snow... but he has been known to do it for no reason. I feel like such a bad pet owner because he flys in circles around me. I just stand there and pull him closer to me as he circles me in a mad rage . As soon as hes close enough I gice him a sit and he will once he realizes hes gonna get in big trouble.i often wondered if this was normal? My other mixed breed we had did it too but only inside after he went to the washroom. He would come in run down the stairs to the basement do some fast turns then run back up them only to come down and do the same. Weirdos
Old January 21st, 2005, 05:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I just stand there and pull him closer to me as he circles me in a mad rage .
Sounds like a typical and normal "pit fit", "zoomies" or FRAP (Frantic Random Activity Period) to me.

Pit fits - butt lowered, tail tucked, zooming madly with flapping ears and wild eyes - are the norm, but it sure scared me the first time my pit bull did it. I thought she was having some sort of seizure!! Now, I just get out of the way!
Old January 25th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

YES! Finally I thought for a while I got a messed up dog. The way you described it is exaclt what he does. TAil between legs, ears back and crazy eyes and whips back and forth back and forth. For a while i thought he was unstable but I find it definately is a factor when hes been inside too long. Also the snow gets hims like this too. Or when he has a poop. I now just let him run crazy back and forth and he soon stops looks at me and thats it hes done. It scared the bejesus out of me too. But now that I know yours does too then Im not so worried. He never jumps on anyone who threatens anyone just runs a muck for about 1 - 2 minutes not even.
Old January 25th, 2005, 08:07 PM
Senior Contributor

I love it when Den-Den does it! He races back and forth across the room looking just like a jack-rabbit cartoon. I say he's having a happy!
Old January 26th, 2005, 04:04 PM

Diamond does it in the house! She puts her head down and pretends to be tracking something. Then she sneaks around a corner, looks at me, and comes running in full tilt and straight out the other side of the living room.
She'll do this for a while until I start getting panicy and think she's looking for a spot to go potty. Out she goes!
We take her to the school yard across the lane. Totally untouched snow back there that she has to jump up and down in order to make any kind of movement. Perfect for tiring out a hyper dog!