Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits > Breed bans - BSL - Pit Bull bans

Old January 20th, 2007, 11:59 PM

She's not attacking you. She's just correcting the misinformation. You say you're just talking about your experience with two dogs, yet your post above makes horrible generalizations. Like this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinKy View Post
by a pit bull, which is an animal that has been known to turn on its owner
That is not true at all and nobody here wants people to leave here thinking that's true.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:31 AM

i dont find anything wrong with that quote. pit bulls can turn on their owner for no reason, and i feel that way because of my own personal experience, not because i saw it on the news!
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:34 AM

It's just not true. Pitbulls, just like any other breed, aren't likely to "turn" on their owners. And your dog never turned on you either. You thought she might and either put her to sleep or got rid of her. You'll never know if she would have "turned" or not.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:59 AM

i DID NOT put my dog to sleep. but i felt it was best to take her to a shelter since the second my back was turned, she would lower her head crouch down and growl. thats not normal for a good dog to do. i even thought that maybe it would pass, but when she started doing the same thing to my daughter who at the time was only 1 1/2 yrs old i realized something was wrong. and i would hope anyone else in this situation would do the same thing instead of being so closeminded to thinking that a dog, if raised a certain way could not possibly turn on its owner, or in my case, harm my child!
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:17 AM

So you thought you were in danger, so you brought her to a shelter where some unsuspecting family would adopt her not knowing anything about her?
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
So you thought you were in danger, so you brought her to a shelter where some unsuspecting family would adopt her not knowing anything about her?
i dont know how the local shelters work in montreal, but down here there are 2 kinds. both do temperment testing and determine if the animal is good with cats, other dogs, and children. however some of the shelters do put a dog down if it doesn't pass a temperment test. but neither my husband nor i wanted to take her to one of those shelters. so she went to a local one that i am familiar with. they take in all dogs that they can, and if they do not pass a temperment test they keep them at their facility for the remainder of their lives.
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:29 AM

And did she pass?
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:30 AM

(sorry i had to log off my computer was freaking out) no, she didnt pass, but i know the owner, shes in good hands. but its been about two years since i've checked on her.
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:01 AM

So she failed but they adopted her out anyway?
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:21 AM

no, she wasnt adopted out to anyone, what i meant was i know the owner of the shelter.

Last edited by DiNKy; January 21st, 2007 at 03:32 AM.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:22 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

What formal training/behaviourist did you take her to? Not to be mean, but a lot of times, dogs fail because of their owners. (And please notice that I said dogs and not pitties, because as I stated before, it can be any dog.)

Jesse chose us, we didn't choose her. I guess in your case, it truly was not a good match.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:09 PM

Hey guys, I think in any breed there is the occasional wingy dog that is just not wired right. If there was a child in possible danger, I don't think anyone could or should be judging the poster about their actions. However, I'm not sure it's kinder to have the dog live out its life in a shelter rather than having it put to sleep.
Point being, that this could happen within any breed when bad breeding, byb, etc happens... but it DOES happen and it's not necessarily the fault of the owner (except maybe for not researching and purchasing carefully).
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:12 PM

It does happen, ok. But to say that it happened because the dog was a pitty... *shakes head*
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiNKy View Post
they take in all dogs that they can, and if they do not pass a temperment test they keep them at their facility for the remainder of their lives.
I was really trying to stay out of this, but I just have to say that I find this really awful. Obviously we can all sit back and theorize about whether your dog was truely unsound or if with some proffessional help and patience her behvior could have been dealt with, but lets, for a moment, assume she was truely of unsound temperment.
Clearly you were not prepared for the extreme level of management and responsibiltiy owning a dog like tht would require, which is fine, but why, why, why is it better for this dog to spend the next 10+ years at a shelter?
It makes the owner feel better that the dog is still alive, but is it really better for the dog?
I realize what's done is done at this point, and that with a breed whose reputation is in so much trouble sometimes really hard decisions have to be made, but I would hate to think that anyone reading this would see bringing an unsound dog to a no-kill shelter is a viable, compassionate or responsible solution.

I would also urge you, as others have already mentionned, not to use your own experiences to make generalizations about an entire breed. It seems as though your past fear of these dogs, and your experience, has left you with a pretty significant distrust of pit bulls, as you seem to imply in your posts that a sound pit bull is almost an exception to the rule. A fear, though perhaps understandlable, is not necessarily reality however.
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:19 PM

great post pitgrrl
Old January 21st, 2007, 05:23 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

I have to agree, great post pitgrrl!
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:52 PM

i'm sorry i cant say this same story about another breed of dog (i've only owned 2 pits, and now a doxie). but i never said this could only happen with pit bulls. all i have simply been trying to do from the start is say:

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
but it DOES happen and it's not necessarily the fault of the owner (except maybe for not researching and purchasing carefully).
Old January 21st, 2007, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
Clearly you were not prepared for the extreme level of management and responsibiltiy owning a dog like tht would require, which is fine, but why, why, why is it better for this dog to spend the next 10+ years at a shelter?

you're right i was not prepared to have my dog do what she did. i dont think any good owner prepares themselves for when their dog will start to turn on them. but i was prepared for the management and responsibility of owning a pit bull (i had owned one before). and as for the choice i made regarding her life. it may have not been the best choice, but i had owned her for a while and i didnt want her to just die. and maybe i did make the wrong choice :sad: , thats probably why i quit going to check on her. i'm not going to argue that i made the right decision, i honestly just didnt know what to do.
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitgrrl View Post
I would also urge you, as others have already mentionned, not to use your own experiences to make generalizations about an entire breed.
i never made generalizations about pit bulls, my other dog, Ceaser was a great pit. but noone wanted to hear about him. and all i tried saying, once again, from the start, is that a dogs breeding does factor in on how a dog will turn out.
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:19 PM

I've already pointed out one of the generalizations you made, so you can't hardly say you didn't make any.
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:25 PM
Papa D

i'm so sick of the media stories and people coming here , just to blame certain breeds , when in fact it most often is the original poster that is the problem....ie: i got rid of a dog cause i think its aggresive,but i never put it down,i put it into a shelter.....between the media and ignorant people certain breed don't stand a chance.....oh did i say certain breeds....i mean all breeds.
Beathoven 7 year old mutt
Maggie 5 year jack russell
Felix 15 year tabby
Ozzie 12 year tabby
Tigger 10 year long hair cat
marley just a pup
sasha grand pup___________________________________________________________
Lettin the cat outta the bag is a whole lot easier than puttin it back in.

Most of the stuff people worry about ain't gonna happen anyway.
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I've already pointed out one of the generalizations you made, so you can't hardly say you didn't make any.
ok, what i had meant was, yes a pitbull has been known to turn on its owner, you've seen it on the news, but the news gets it wrong sometimes, like you pointed out earlier. but the media is not always wrong, i've watched the news where it was a pitbull that was being taken by animal control, and i've seen them accuse a boxer of being a pit. thus its not only pit bulls that can turn on their owners, but other breeds as well. but this is a pit bull forum, and i was only trying to inform people that come here to read about pit bulls, that it can happen and to research the breeders thoroughly. but as everyone has stated, it doesnt just apply to pits, but to all breeds. but like i said this is a pit bull forum, so i am discussing pit bulls.
Old January 21st, 2007, 08:58 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Quote:
ok, what i had meant was, yes a pitbull has been known to turn on its owner, you've seen it on the news, but the news gets it wrong sometimes, like you pointed out earlier.....but like i said this is a pit bull forum, so i am discussing pit bulls.
But what you won't understand or accept is that ANY dog can turn on their owner, not just pits. How many times do we have to repeat this? It's like a broken record. The media pretty much only reports pit attacks, not many others. Again, IT'S HOW THE DOG IS RAISED!!! This isn't necessarily a pitbull forum within the board, but a forum to discuss BSL that is in effect in a lot of places in Canada and the US. We are trying to fight it here. Think about it, which breed is next on the list aside from the obvious Rotti, Dogo, Dobie, GSD? Look in Italy, they have Corgi's banned! Who knows, your precious little Doxie may be on the list.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM

Any breed of dog can turn, yeah, but I also don't want people thinking that all dogs turn. There has to be something seriously wrong with a dog for it to attack like that. 99.9% of dogs don't TURN ever. Some become aggressive because of lack of training and all that, sure, but they don't "turn" all of a sudden. Dogs are not unpredictable most of the time, unless there is something neurologically wrong.

And in Dinky's case, the dog never turned, so IMO it was just lack of training.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse's mommy View Post
But what you won't understand or accept is that ANY dog can turn on their owner, not just pits.
i just said that earlier.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Any breed of dog can turn, yeah, but I also don't want people thinking that all dogs turn.
And in Dinky's case, the dog never turned, so IMO it was just lack of training.
i dont want people thinking that all dogs turn, i just want people knowing that its a possibility. and the 2 factors that cause that are how you raise a dog and how it was bred. anyone can raise a dog right, thats why i urge a better background check of the breeder. thats all, i dont see the whats wrong with that. and you already know my opinion in porsha's case, do we really need to keep bringing her up?
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:13 PM

But in Porsha's case, she never did turn and is doing fine now, right? So the breed is fine, the trainer she's with now is fine... So you technically have no experience of even the possibility of your dog turning on you because frankly, she would have done it by now.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:13 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

You are the one who brought this up. You are the one who threadjacked the sticky. You are the one who is arguing nothing. You've only been pointing out myths and not contributing anything positive or true to this. Nothing you have been discussing is on topic with the original subject. All we are doing is replying to you to point out the truth for future members. People rely on this information and it needs to be true.
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
and the 2 factors that cause that are how you raise a dog and how it was bred.
......and there's a perfect arguement for getting an adult dog from an ethical rescue
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
But in Porsha's case, she never did turn and is doing fine now, right?
i only said she is in good hands and failed the temperment tests therefore she could not be adopted out (because the professionals at the shelter decided she was not safe enough) i did however talk to the owner (of the shelter) from time to time to ask how she was doing. and for the most part i guess she is doing fine as long as she is kept there, and not given to a family.