Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 26th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Senior Contributor

How often do dogs nails need to be trimmed?

Marty been to the groomer on 10/12/12 and 12/12/12 and the groomer said she cut his nails each time. I had to bring Marty to his vet today because his nails were really long , they where curling over. I was told at the vet office his nails where too long. It had been about 6 weeks since they been cut but the vet feel they should not had been that long if they where cut on 12/12/12 . I called the groomer today and she said she did cut the last time and that 6 weeks it too long ,that Marty nails should be cut every 4 weeks.
I walk Marty every day but it been hard to the past being so cold out. I like to bring Marty to this groomer as they're in a vet office and very careful about dogs being up to date on all their shots and worms testing.

Is 6 weeks too long to wait to get a dog nails cuts?
Old January 26th, 2013, 02:46 PM

I take my larger dog to my groomer when my small dog gets groomed once a month and I know when the time is getting close because I hear the clicking from both dogs' feet.

So once every 4 weeks is perfect for us but you may also want to check with your groomer that she is taking off enough. Once I made it clear to my groomer that I hated the clicking she's been careful to take off enough(but not enough to make Susie bleed or anything) that I don't normally hear excessive clicking until it's close to grooming time again(some clicking is normal).
Old January 26th, 2013, 03:00 PM

We dremmel nearly every other day to keep nails neat and short. A month would be too long for my liking - but we can't stand the sound of nails clicking on the floor.
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:48 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

We trim nails when the clicking starts, too--generally takes about 10 days.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 26th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

I am hard of hearing and can not hear my dog nails clicking on the floor. I have let my dog go 6 weeks and his nails where not as long as they where this time. The groomer may not he trimming his nails short enough . Thank you for your answers . I will have Marty get his nails cut every 4 weeks and see if that helps. I had no idea the clicking sound so loud.
Old January 26th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Senior Contributor

I dremmel them every couple of weeks.

It may be that during different times of the year, the schedule will be different?
Old January 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

Gosh, it depends on the dog and where the dog is walking. In nearly 17 years Teddy's were never cut once.

Whisper, Jet and Oban all lived in the same house and walk(ed) on the same ground but needed trimming, respectively, one month, two weeks and one week. They all need the fur between their toes trimmed in winter but not at all in summer. Snow appears to be not gritty enough to keep this short. Oban has virtually no hair protruding between his toes in summer but in winter it grows out and I use nose hair trimmers to keep it short.

It's possible your groomer DID trim the nails but if they were long to begin with she can't take too much off at once. As the nail grows the quick, the blood vessel you can see within the nail if it's white, grows down into the longer nail. You can't just whack off all of what's too long without cutting the quick and causing bleeding. The odd time I do let nails get too long I have to take only little wee nibbles of nail off, but more frequently, like maybe twice a week, till they get back to the shortness I want.

Beware a place that takes your dog with long, long toenails and gives you back a dog with short toenails. It's likely your dog bled profusely if the change in length was dramatic. Ask if you can watch. Some places, Vet's included, are very rough.
Old January 27th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
Gosh, it depends on the dog and where the dog is walking. In nearly 17 years Teddy's were never cut once.

Whisper, Jet and Oban all lived in the same house and walk(ed) on the same ground but needed trimming, respectively, one month, two weeks and one week. They all need the fur between their toes trimmed in winter but not at all in summer. Snow appears to be not gritty enough to keep this short. Oban has virtually no hair protruding between his toes in summer but in winter it grows out and I use nose hair trimmers to keep it short.

It's possible your groomer DID trim the nails but if they were long to begin with she can't take too much off at once. As the nail grows the quick, the blood vessel you can see within the nail if it's white, grows down into the longer nail. You can't just whack off all of what's too long without cutting the quick and causing bleeding. The odd time I do let nails get too long I have to take only little wee nibbles of nail off, but more frequently, like maybe twice a week, till they get back to the shortness I want.

Beware a place that takes your dog with long, long toenails and gives you back a dog with short toenails. It's likely your dog bled profusely if the change in length was dramatic. Ask if you can watch. Some places, Vet's included, are very rough.
Gee, I hope the vet did not cut Marty's nails too short when they while they where so long. Marty was taken out of the room when he had his nails cut,
he was not upset when he came back to me. I just check Marty's nails and don't look too short to me. I went to one vet that was very rough with my last dog right in front of me, I never went back to that to the jerk again!
I was told by a vet when I heard my 'hearing' dog nails clicking on the floor it time to get them cut. I don't think the vet knew what a having a hearing dog meant.
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingdog View Post
I was told by a vet when I heard my 'hearing' dog nails clicking on the floor it time to get them cut. I don't think the vet knew what a having a hearing dog meant.
You're kidding. What a dolt. It's awfully funny though, I have a big grin on my face right now.
Old January 27th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
You're kidding. What a dolt. It's awfully funny though, I have a big grin on my face right now.
I wish I was kidding , I could tell you plenty of more stupid things people said to . It would like be telling a blind person to look at how long their guide dog nails are. It's funny , I should had written down all the things people said to me and write a book.