Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old April 7th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Slave to the fur

Yellowed teeth on new food

Hello all!

After months of putting up with chronic loose stools & vomiting, I FINALLY found a food that has put all of that to rest for my sensitive kitty, Tiger Prawn. It's called "Taste of the Wild" and has been a god send to me, as Tiger Prawn has had bowel issues since 4 months and she is now 1.5 yrs!!

However, I had a look at her & her sister's teeth the other day and YIKES!!! The back teeth have turned butter yellow and one of TP's teeth has a deposit on it!!! I freaked!! When I fed them Innova EVO their teeth were white as snow, I would check them all the time, and we have recently officially switched over these past 2 months, so I'm positive it is the food, there have been no other changes. They are barely 2 years and I may have to have a dental

I am going to start brushing, but I wanted to know if there is anything I can do, food wise, to help this? I'm hoping for a result outside of switching to another diet in fear of the vomiting/diarrhea returning, but I am changing to a breakfast meal of dry food and evening meal of wet. Wet is California Natural's Salmon & Sweet Potatoe as I am trying to stay away from grain heavy diets. I have included the ingredient list below for Taste of the Wild, as I do believe it's a good food, I just can't understand why this change in dental health and what I can do to stop this from getting worse....this community is so experienced in these matters I truly trust the advice here!! Thanks for any suggestions!

Ingredients
Chicken meal, peas, sweet potatoes, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), potato protein, roasted venison, smoked salmon, natural flavor, ocean fish meal, methionine, taurine, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, niacin, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate, zinc sulfate, manganese sulfate, copper sulfate, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), vitamin A supplement, biotin, potassium iodide, calcium pantothenate, riboflavin (vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM

Hi, I've been feeding this food to my cat, too but I haven't noticed any build up on his teeth. When the kibble size is small like it is with the TOTW, sometimes they don't chew it very well. My cat swallows it almost whole! He take a kibble and gives it maybe one crunch before he swallows it. By contrast, this same kitty will steal giant German Shepherd sized kibble from the dog dish and cruch, crunch, crunch happily away! maybe that's why his teeth are so clean? lol
Old April 7th, 2008, 11:16 PM

My only suggestion would be this product
http://www.trinatural.com/proline/natures_dentist.php
I have used it with success with some animals, and not with others
There is another spray that comes in a blue bottle that works really well too, but I can't for the life of me think of it...
Maybe someone here will know.
Old April 12th, 2008, 10:30 PM

Leba for calculus and tartar

http://www.lebalab.com/protocol.htm