Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Senior cats

Old December 1st, 2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2 View Post
Thanks for addressing the teeth chewing, god it awful. It sounds like she is chewing something plastic

Do you think the SubQ will help her eat. I'm concerned that she won't last much longer without food. The most I can get into her is about 20-30 ML a Day, and that's not enough to keep a bird alive not alone a cat

I don't want to wait too long before I have to go with a feeding tube and the force feeding is exactly that force feeding
Subq's will help her to feel better which may make her more inclined to eat but it will not counter-act the stomach acid or the nausea enough to be a stand alone treatment for stomach acid.

Is Tus still on pepcid for stomach acid?

Since she is still grinding her teeth & nausea the pepcid is not working for her either by dose or application.

Speak to your vet about another histamine H2 antagonist, also available over the counter, called Zantac 75. The active ingredient in Zantac is ranitidine 75mg, and it works in a similar way to Pepcid AC. You will need to ask about appropriate dosages, it is also available in injection form from the vet.

Or ask about Metoclopramide (Reglan) it is available by prescription only. It works in a different way to acid blockers by regulating stomach contractions, and therefore may help with nausea caused by a lack of motility in the stomach. Since Reglan can cross the blood/brain barrier, it also acts on the brain to control feelings of nausea, therefore should NOT be given to cats prone to seizures. Reglan can be given with Pepcid AC as long as the doses are given at least 2 hours apart.

While you are waiting for the vet to move on an appetite stimulant you can try tempting Tus with something along the lines of Pure Bites freeze dried treats or Halo-Liv-A-Little treats

Quote:
Ignore what line?
Love4himmies meant ignore the tapazole she mis-typed it.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Like lindapalm says, you don't give cyproheptadine with food.
The pharmacist told me to give it with food, not the vet on this one, so maybe you don't have to have food with cats, just people?

Quote:
What was the other antihistamine that you were given?
Amitriptyline was the other one. It worked well with my boy who was licking all the fur off his belly. Gave it to him for 2 days, he basically slept those 2 days. Gave time for his belly to heal.

Quote:
far as I know, cyproheptadine is the only one used as an appetite stimulant for cats. I'm seriously losing confidence in your vet.
I just looked up the spec's of the drug and came across the fact that it helps with anxiety, hence it worked with Tigger, my boy. Maybe we gave it to TUs to calm her as she was agitated in the morning. I really thought I was looking for appetite stimulant, hence the feeding tube thread.

Well Tus is going for the feeding tube this afternoon, I insisted. I think you're right when we weighted Tus yesterday and she had lost a pound in a week, I think the vet should have said to put the tube in then, but I guess we're both waiting on test results. But kinda stupid to die waiting for test results.
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I think I mentioned before that Amitriptyline should only be given to healthy cats, none that have any health issues. It is normally used to help ease stress levels in cats. However, it just made Sweet Pea more aggressive. . My vet would only prescibe it if blood work was good prior to the prescription and follow up blood work at LEAST every six weeks to check liver and kidney functions. He was most concerned about liver with this med. If I were you, I would discuss with the vet to slowly discontinue the use of this med. It shouldn't be stopped cold turkey.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_amitriptyline.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/rx_inf...triptyline.pdf

I like, Sugarcatmom, am wondering about your vet. . Is there another one in your area?

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I think I mentioned before that Amitriptyline should only be given to healthy cats, none that have any health issues. It is normally used to help ease stress levels in cats. However, it just made Sweet Pea more aggressive. . My vet would only prescibe it if blood work was good prior to the prescription and follow up blood work at LEAST every six weeks to check liver and kidney functions. He was most concerned about liver with this med. If I were you, I would discuss with the vet to slowly discontinue the use of this med. It shouldn't be stopped cold turkey.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_amitriptyline.html

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/rx_inf...triptyline.pdf

I like, Sugarcatmom, am wondering about your vet. . Is there another one in your area?
Tus has not been taking the Amitriptyline now for awhile. She took it for a couple of days, maybe a week, but made her too dopey and I stopped it.

As for another vet, this is the second one as the first one was charging way too much money. $700 for teeth cleaning and 1 tooth extraction, I can't afford that kind of care

Chancing to another vet. How am I supposed to know if the next one is any better? I don't want to go through all these test again to end up the same place.

Any suggestions on how to find a "good" cat vet.

I might find another one for the other cats and see how they do with relatively healthy cats
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:05 PM

She's now in the vet's getting the feeding tube put in, lets hope she survive's the procedure.

I managed to keep her home until they really needed her, less stress.

Should have her home supper time tonight

and then on to plumping her up for Xmas..like christmas turkey)
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Amitriptyline was the other one.
Oh okay. That is actually an anti-depressant, not an antihistamine, and isn't really an appetite stimulant for cats. Cyproheptadine is entirely different. Were you ever able to give any to Tus?

Quote:
She's now in the vet's getting the feeding tube put in, lets hope she survive's the procedure.
and then on to plumping her up for Xmas..like christmas turkey)
Crossing my fingers that she does okay. Is she getting a PEG tube or an E-tube, do you know? The PEG tube goes directly into the stomach through her side, and the E-tube is into the eosophagus through the neck. Surgery for the PEG tube tends to be a little more involved.

Here is some info on feeding tubes if you haven't seen it already: http://www.catinfo.org/feedingtubes.htm

I also have a lot of experience with them, so if you need any help let me know.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

You can't really tell how good a vet is until you visit. You also have be knowledgeable yourself, I always say "knowlege is power". I was so ignorant when I had Snowball and I feel had I done my research and not listened to the vet I was taking him to, I could have prolonged his life. And this vet was NOT cheap, so money doesn't indicate quality.

You are entitled to copies of all your kitty's lab work that you could take to a new vet so they don't have to run new tests.

Glad to hear you stopped the amitriptyline. Unless it is beneficial, there is no reason to take any med.

Sending some and for Tus. I think once the calories and nutrition starts getting into her she will feel so much better.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Any updates?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 1st, 2009, 07:32 PM

We're back and exhausted

The tube is in and her neck is all wrapped up, looks very uncomfortable. SHe's drooling very stinky sticky drool. She's very dopey still as the vet put her out cold.

I'm instructed just to give her about 10cc's of food tonight and then try and get at least 1 can of food into her a day. Right now I have the Hill's recovery diet in hopes that that will kick start her system.

Also have the subQ fluids which I plan on giving her for the next couple of days to try and get her hydrated.

I still have the antibiotic which I can crush up and give her as well, and I now can use the liquid Zatex to help with her upset stomach.

Do you think I should use the slippery elm bark as well?

As for pain med's we're sticking with the prenosone(sp) until we get the test results and know better what we are dealing with.

Any advice on what to give her to help kick start her system?

As well the bandage seem so big, she can hardly move her neck. Also I'm not supposed to take the wrapping off, but I'd like to to make sure the stitches are healing well and that the bandage is not chafing.

I guess all in good time...one day at a time.

Thanks for sticking with me, it really really helps.

Never thought I'd use these forums but now I see why they are so important and that people really do care
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I'm instructed just to give her about 10cc's of food tonight and then try and get at least 1 can of food into her a day.
Good plan. Did the vet give you some detailed instructions on how to feed Tus and care for the tube? It's important to go quite slow at first, like maybe 3mls per minute or less. Gradually work up the amount of food by 5-10mls per session. You also don't want the food to be cold from the fridge. And it's very important to rinse the tube with about 10mls of warm water after each feeding to prevent the tube from clogging.

Quote:
Do you think I should use the slippery elm bark as well?
I wouldn't at this point. See how she does first and if vomiting or diarrhea become an issue, maybe then it would be useful. You'll have to be very careful that the slippery elm doesn't clog the tube if you do decide to use it.

Quote:
Also I'm not supposed to take the wrapping off, but I'd like to to make sure the stitches are healing well and that the bandage is not chafing.
She may need a bandage change at the vet in the future, but for now just leave it be. It looks worse than it is and most cats adapt to it very quickly.

Good luck with the feedings. I found it worked best if I put the cat on my lap while doing it (facing away from me), but you'll figure out a system that works best for you and Tus.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Good plan. Did the vet give you some detailed instructions on how to feed Tus and care for the tube?
Yes we had some instructions, but as always yours are more detailed)

As well the tube is not working <sigh> It's clogged already and we haven't even started yet. We put in water last nite and tried to get some food in the tube and it would not go in. So here we are with some food in the tube and it won't go any further. SO we worked it with water until we got that amount down the tube.

I tried again this morning. Unfortunately with watered down slippery elm bak (thought it might help her stomach) well did not matter as that wouldn't even go down the tube. Then tried to flush that out and managed to pop the syringe out and spray both of us with water.

JC will anything go right with this poor cat. I think she's been tortured enough. She's just miserable.

Anyway called the vet and now have to go back AGAIN at noon to day and try and get that fixed. They should start paying me for all the trips I go there.

As for the slippery elm bark I've mixed some into her food, about 1/2 tsp per can so I'll leave it at that. I'm just trying not to upset her stomach.

Quote:
I wouldn't at this point. See how she does first and if vomiting or diarrhea become an issue, maybe then it would be useful. You'll have to be very careful that the slippery elm doesn't clog the tube if you do decide to use it.

Quote:
Good luck with the feedings. I found it worked best if I put the cat on my lap while doing it (facing away from me), but you'll figure out a system that works best for you and Tus.
I plan on watching a movie with Tus on my lap, then both of us will be relaxed and I can give her small amounts over a long period of time)

Quote:
It's important to go quite slow at first, like maybe 3mls per minute or less. Gradually work up the amount of food by 5-10mls per session. You also don't want the food to be cold from the fridge. And it's very important to rinse the tube with about 10mls of warm water after each feeding to prevent the tube from clogging.
Thanks for this detail, I'll hang onto this so I don't forget the amounts. It's always the amounts that is so hard to pin down.

Quote:
You may need a bandage change at the vet in the future, but for now just leave it be. It looks worse than it is and most cats adapt to it very quickly.
Ok I'll try not to feel any more guilty than I do now and went I see the vet again I'll ask about the bandage change. Of course still waiting on the test results from the US of A.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:39 PM

update

The test results came back and it's not pancreatitis.

The fPL was 2.4 ug/L Control Range is 0.1 - 3.5

The TLI Fasting 88.7 ug/L Control Range 12 - 82

They figure the TLI is up due to the possibility of the kidney's not working properly.

So back to the drawing board.

Aside from that they have to reposition the tube as it's kinked somewhere, where they can not see via x-ray. Expect it's kinked behind her back teeth. So under she goes again, more dopey cat with nauseous belly, no food or water for yet another day. I expect with all the F'ing around she'll die anyway. She'll be so far gone I won't be able to get her back.

If this doesn't work than I'll make that decision myself, enough is enough.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM

update on the poor old thing, she might be hanging in there better thean me

I have her back again. She's really dopy, can barely walk, but made it to the litter box. I just helped her stand so she would not fall in her own pee.

This tube is working 100% better, she doesn't seems to be drooling as much and the tube sticks out on top of her neck instead of the side of the neck.

We only gave her 10ml of food and 10 mls of water, did not want to push it.

Tomorrow I'll do the watch the movie and give her her food.

Sorry for the ranting on the last post. I get so frustrated and angry at the lack of compassion and knowledge of some vets, it makes trying to make decisions very stressful. Needless to say my stress level is off the charts.

Great way to loose weight as I barely eat myself)

So again for the temper tantrum, at least they did not charge me as they made the mistake and admitted it.

Funny think is they had problems with the tube from the get go, you think some bells would have gone off.

Question on pain med's. Since it's not pancreatitis does she need pain med's? I'm still using the prenosone as that's all she'll give me

Thanks
Old December 3rd, 2009, 08:04 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Wow, I am really having serious doubts about your vet now.

Not too difficult to determine if the kidneys are working, urinalysis combined with blood work, if necessary an ultrasound.

I really hope the feeding will get Tus back on the road to recovery.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Wow, I am really having serious doubts about your vet now.

Not too difficult to determine if the kidneys are working, urinalysis combined with blood work, if necessary an ultrasound.

I really hope the feeding will get Tus back on the road to recovery.

I just got a call from her this morning apologizing for the difficulty yesterday. I say Thank God it was her day off and someone else did the tube

That said. The final verdict on Tus is she might have had an inflamed pancreas but not now, could be a condition that will crop up again. They, meaning others, think the elevated results indicate it's her kidney's, again and/or possible bowel or GI issues. With the bowel or GI issues biopsies would have to take place and I'm not willing to go that far. I think we're done enough.

So the plan/ my plan is to keep the tube in, if the weight comes back on and she recovers from this then great we carry on with healthy diet. If she does not get better with the tube in then the tube comes out and we let her go with some dignity intact.

Also she wants to monitor her blood pressure as that seems to be an issue and is concerned with the subQ fluids as it can increase blood pressure. Of course I will keep as much fluids in her via tube as possible, but will probably give SubQ as well as I think dehydration has caused problems in the past.

As for Pain med's I'll use up the few dose's of pred. and then I guess that's it as Pred. is hard on the kidney's.

Any suggestions on how to get her smelling better, she stinks and the other cats are afraid of her. I've put some baby powder on the bandage wrap as that stinks of awful chemicals. Are there dry shampoo's for cats that I can use as I don't want to bath her, enough trauma for a life time I'm sure)

And god her breath, and drool ich. I'm hoping that will get better as food gets into her belly. I now can use the liquid Zantex for the acid indigestion, that might help too.

As for this vet, not much else she can do now.

I'll just get advice from you guys on diet and healthy foods etc.

But the rest of my cats I think I'll look around for another vet)
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I really don't know anything about pancreatitis, but do know a bit about bowel issues.

Does Tus have diarrhea or constipation? Any mucous or blood on her feces?

As for pred, I know it is a dreaded drug for humans. It makes them feel horribly moody, and ill along with weight gain. Some would rather have their colons taken out than to be on pred for the rest of their lives to control their disease. Others don't do too bad on it. Now I can't speak for cats, and as far as I am concerned, neither can vets as cats can't speak to them.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

Oscar definitely gained weight while he was on pred (in this case he was underweight so we considered that a plus). He also went a bit mean. We've had big problems with aggression toward his younger brother ever since he went on - even though he's off the pred, he learned this bullying behavior and we're still trying to work it out of him. It also (most likely) is responsible for the calcium oxalate stones he just had to have removed from his bladder.

I don't think we had a choice in Oscar's case (we were fighting asthma so options were limited) but he's a completely different cat since he started on pred and, even though he's off now, a lot of those changes took root.

I'm not sure about alternatives for pain - my vet uses Metacam which has it's own issues, but I wouldn't use pred if you didn't have to!
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:17 PM

Quote:
I really don't know anything about pancreatitis, but do know a bit about bowel issues.Does Tus have diarrhea or constipation? Any mucous or blood on her feces?

As far as I know Tus has never has any bowel movement problems. I have 4 other cats and I know I have one that will have diarrhea every now and again, but has not had that problem since I switched to wet cat food.

So I can say that all 5 cats have had as far as I know normal feces, no blood or mucus. Of course a lot less now with the wet food as well. YEA wet food.

Quote:
As for pred, I know it is a dreaded drug for humans. It makes them feel horribly moody, and ill along with weight gain. Some would rather have their colons taken out than to be on pred for the rest of their lives to control their disease. Others don't do too bad on it. Now I can't speak for cats, and as far as I am concerned, neither can vets as cats can't speak to them.
Vet's are unsure why it works in cats, that's what I keep hearing them say.

But Tus is moaning now, could be pain or breathing funny now that the tube is down her throat??
Old December 3rd, 2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjesak View Post
Oscar definitely gained weight while he was on pred (in this case he was underweight so we considered that a plus). He also went a bit mean. We've had big problems with aggression toward his younger brother ever since he went on - even though he's off the pred, he learned this bullying behavior and we're still trying to work it out of him. It also (most likely) is responsible for the calcium oxalate stones he just had to have removed from his bladder.

I don't think we had a choice in Oscar's case (we were fighting asthma so options were limited) but he's a completely different cat since he started on pred and, even though he's off now, a lot of those changes took root.

I'm not sure about alternatives for pain - my vet uses Metacam which has it's own issues, but I wouldn't use pred if you didn't have to!
I had my boy (Tigger) on pred. for about 2 days and it did the opposite. He was distant, won't sleep with me, just really not my cat, so I took him off that and now use antihistamines for the coughing and sneezing which I presume is due to allergies. That works great as long as I can get him to eat the pill pocket without tasting the pills. Once he tastes the pills it becomes a game of how to get him to eat it without knowing. The antihistamines taste terrible, especially Benedryl ( which I find is the better one).

Don't know if that would help with your guy?
Old December 3rd, 2009, 04:11 PM
Wayward Family Cats Mommy

We did eventually get him off the pred and onto Accolate instead. Between that and two inhalers, he's been breathing easily for a few weeks now - even when I burned the bacon for the stuffing at Thanksgiving and filled the house with smoke!

I've never heard of Pred being used for pain but I hope it works for your poor baby. It sounds like she's going through the wringer.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:47 PM

Ya I find this vet does not want to give me pain medication, just prenosone, which as you say is not a pain medication.

I'll see how's she's doing tomorrow, she's still really dopey from all the drugs and I'm going to have to get her moving or she'll get bound up now that she has food in her stomach.

Any advice on that. Should I be concerned about bowl movements now that she has food in her. We managed to get 90ml of food into her, the most she's had in about a week. Did not want to push it beyond that the first day, might put her body into shock

Also gave her SubQ fluids, plus all the fluids we flushed through the tube. She is pee'ing about the only time she has gotten up.

I'm also concerned about her lack of any energy, I'm presuming it's to do with the 2 surgeries. Any advice on that? Should I get her up and moving or just let her sleep? Should I push for pain med's as well? Cause I also get the excuse that you can't give pain med's on top of Pred.

Of course I'm skeptical of this vet, I wonder why
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:50 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

prednisone is plain and simple a steroid.. the vet may be prescribing it for the asthma alone, not as a pain med. Being asthmatic i've never been told not to take anything for pain while using it. I would demand pain meds if you feel the kitty is in pain, or ask another vets opinion. you could always pm Dr. Lee and see what he says.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:54 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Pred can act as a pain med if the pain is due to inflammation. Once the inflammation is reduced, the pain often subsides.

I know nothing about cats, though, so can't advise about pred plus pain meds. I really just wanted to pop in and send some I check your thread every time I'm on and I wish you both the best.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Pred can act as a pain med if the pain is due to inflammation. Once the inflammation is reduced, the pain often subsides.

I know nothing about cats, though, so can't advise about pred plus pain meds. I really just wanted to pop in and send some I check your thread every time I'm on and I wish you both the best.
Thank you very much for popping in. I appreciate all the I can get.

This poor animal, be it kitty, dog, rabbit, or anything else has been through hell and back. I just hope she keeps on trucking. I keep asking her to hang in there one more day and so far she's accepting the torture. I can only hope that it is all worth it. I guess I'll know that in a couple of days.

I'll keep you up to date on her progress and try and get some pictures of her, especially some before shots.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:31 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'd love to see some pics or your beautiful girl! I'm sure lots of other members would, too.

You've got all the that s, s and 32 crossed s can generate, winging your way in the meantime!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 4th, 2009, 09:22 AM

Wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect from my cat's behaviour in the first couple of days while on this feeding tube?

Is it painful? Should I be looking into pain med's? This moaning she's doing, comes from her chest, could it be breathing issues?

She doesn't move very much. From the bed to the littler and back again and that's about it.

She looks miserable no purring, unless that moaning is her attempt, I don't think so

And of course still drools and her breath is terrible? Should I be bringing this to the "vet" or is this normal for a tube cat in the first couple of days?

I like to have some knowledge, especially with this vet or she'll just pass me off as a worrier and not do anything about it.
Old December 4th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Poor girl.

Yes, pred is a steriod and will reduce inflammation. It does this by affecting the immune system and stopping it from allowing the tissues to become inflammed.

It should not, however, be used as a general pain reliever for long term as the side affects can be dangerous (unless it is actually being used as Aslan stated for a specific illness).

Meow had her cat on a feeding tube not too long ago, perhaps you can pm her.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=59566

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 4th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Wondering if anyone could tell me what to expect from my cat's behaviour in the first couple of days while on this feeding tube?
The whole ordeal that she's been through and the surgery to place the tube can be quite exhausting, so it's normal that she'd be rather subdued. Is she holding down the food okay? Has she pooped yet?

Quote:
Is it painful? Should I be looking into pain med's? This moaning she's doing, comes from her chest, could it be breathing issues?
The tube itself shouldn't be painful, but whatever it is that has put her in this state might be. I have no idea what the moaning is all about. Would be worth mentioning to the vet.

Quote:
And of course still drools and her breath is terrible? Should I be bringing this to the "vet" or is this normal for a tube cat in the first couple of days?
Drooling and stinky breath is not a normal side effect of the tube (but she was doing that before the tube placement though, wasn't she?). She could be nauseous or in pain, it's hard to say. One way to determine if it's a pain response is to give her proper pain meds (ie buprenex or Fentanyl) and see if things improve. If it were me, I'd gradually stop the steroids. Is she on antibiotics? If so, which one?

Old December 4th, 2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
The whole ordeal that she's been through and the surgery to place the tube can be quite exhausting, so it's normal that she'd be rather subdued. Is she holding down the food okay? Has she pooped yet?
She is holding down the food great. I just gave her 60ml over 2 hours and she did not even wake up, along with 40 mls of water.

No poop yet. I do have a stool softener if that would help, lactulose syrup.

Quote:
The tube itself shouldn't be painful, but whatever it is that has put her in this state might be. I have no idea what the moaning is all about. Would be worth mentioning to the vet.
I plan on dropping in on the vet's office this afternoon, can't avoid me that way

Quote:
Drooling and stinky breath is not a normal side effect of the tube (but she was doing that before the tube placement though, wasn't she?). She could be nauseous or in pain, it's hard to say. One way to determine if it's a pain response is to give her proper pain meds (ie buprenex or Fentanyl) and see if things improve. If it were me, I'd gradually stop the steroids. Is she on antibiotics? If so, which one?
The only time she drooled was when the tube was put in. The bad breath has been there for awhile, and I presumed it was due to acid indigestion. Now it just smells rancid. The drooling is not as bad as it was with the first tube and I just saw her finally able to drink some water on her own

I would like to get her on some kind of pain med's and off the pred., so I guess I'm going to have to push that a little more.

The antibiotic she is on is amoxil 50mg 2ce a day. Just started that and I just crush it up and put it with the water.

I just hate to see her look so miserable
Old December 4th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

SCM is right, the pred should be a very gradual decrease. Never stop them cold turkey.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)