Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 13th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Vick's co-defendants ALL making deals?

It appears that the quarterback has been left wide open..ouch.

CNN) -- Two men who initially pleaded not guilty to running an illegal dog fighting ring with NFL quarterback Michael Vick are set to appear in court later this week for new plea hearings, a sign they may be changing their plea.

Purnell Peace, 35, is scheduled to appear in court on Thursday and Quanis Phillips, 28, is scheduled for Friday.

The trial date for all three co-defendants is currently set for November 26 in Richmond, Virginia, where court documents say the dog fighting operation was located.

A fourth defendant, Tony Taylor, 34, struck a plea deal July 30 and agreed to cooperate with the prosecution. His sentencing is scheduled for December 14 and could land him five years in prison, a $250,000 fine and three years of supervised probation.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/13/vick.defendants/

Last edited by twodogsandacat; August 13th, 2007 at 09:15 PM.
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Bad news, maybe he won't get prison just a few thousand in fines, which he can easily afford. I wonder if they offer a deal to one, they are obligated to offer a deal to all? Watch Law and Order snap up this story.

Report: Michael Vick Considering Plea Deal

POSTED: 6:39 am EDT August 14, 2007
UPDATED: 11:42 am EDT August 14, 2007

ATLANTA -- Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick is considering a plea deal on federal dogfighting charges, according to ESPN.com.

The Web site reported Tuesday morning that Vick's attorneys met with prosecutors and investigators Monday afternoon.

Two of Vick's co-defendants in the dogfighting case involving Michael Vick have scheduled plea agreements Friday.

A hearing for Quannis Phillips and Pernell Peace was set for 9 a.m. Friday in the U.S. District Court in Richmond.

Another of Vick's original co-defendants, Tony Taylor, pleaded guilty on July 30 to his role in a dogfighting conspiracy he says was financed almost entirely by the Atlanta Falcons quarterback.

As part of a plea agreement, Taylor pledged to fully cooperate with the government in its prosecution of Vick, Peace and Phillips, who are accused of running an interstate dogfighting enterprise known as "Bad Newz Kennels" on Vick's property in rural Surry County.
Old August 14th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Better he pleads guilty rather than fight the charge and get off because of a technicality or found not guilty.
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:00 PM
Kitty pimp

gee so called "men " who watch dogs fight and die are to wussy to stand up and are bailing on vick. I am soo suprised
Old August 14th, 2007, 12:08 PM
-

I think if enough people keep up the negative pressure and keep it a top news story, the remaining accused innocent-until-proven-guilty criminals will feel the full weight of the law. I believe Judges are still elected in the States and you can't tell me that public opinion doesn't effect judgements come election years. Let's hope this is an election year and that public sentiment is negative enough and vocal enough to weigh in the favour of a heavy judgement in either case of a no contest or a not guilty plea.
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Senior Contributor

I saw this article on yahoo news:

2 Vick co-defendants enter guilty pleas

By LARRY O'DELL, Associated Press Writer 1 hour, 5 minutes ago

RICHMOND, Va. - Two of Michael Vick's alleged cohorts in a dogfighting enterprise entered guilty pleas Friday, leaving the Atlanta Falcons quarterback on his own to cut a deal or face trial on federal charges.
ADVERTISEMENT

With his NFL career in jeopardy and a superseding indictment adding more charges in the works, Vick and his lawyers have been talking with federal prosecutors about a possible plea agreement.

But there was no indication Friday at U.S. District Court that Vick would enter a plea before the new charges are filed, perhaps as early as next week.

Sentencing for the two was scheduled for Nov. 30. Vick has been barred from training camp by the NFL and is scheduled to stand trial Nov. 26.

Purnell Peace, 35, of Virginia Beach and Quanis Phillips, 28, of Atlanta entered plea agreements and joined another defendant who previously changed his plea to guilty and agreed to cooperate in the government's case against Vick.

Peace and Phillips were charged with conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiring to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture. Tony Taylor of Hampton pleaded guilty last month and will be sentenced Dec. 14.

The offenses are punishable by up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine, although federal sentencing guidelines likely would call for less.

"Did you conspire with these folks to sponsor a dogfighting venture?" U.S. District Judge Henry Hudson asked Peace.

He replied, "Yes, sir."

While Peace was freed, Phillips violated the terms of his release by failing a drug test and was taken into custody of U.S. marshals.

Any outcome that ties Vick to betting on the dogfights could trigger a lifetime ban from the NFL under the league's personal conduct policy.

The 27-year-old quarterback was linked to betting by a statement signed by Taylor, who pleaded guilty and agreed to cooperate with the government, and the July 17 indictment.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell withheld further action while the NFL conducts its own investigation. Goodell said Thursday the league hasn't been monitoring Vick's plea negotiations.

The four defendants all initially pleaded not guilty, and Vick issued a statement saying he looked forward to clearing his name.

A statement of facts signed by Taylor as part of his plea agreement placed Vick at the scene of several dogfights and linked him to betting. Taylor said Vick financed virtually all the "Bad Newz Kennels" operation on Vick's property in Surry County.

The case began with a search in April that turned up dozens of pit bulls and an assortment of dogfighting paraphernalia at the property a few miles northwest of Vick's hometown of Newport News. According to the indictment, dogs that lost fights or fared poorly in test fights were sometimes executed by hanging, electrocution or other means.

At Friday's plea hearings, about 30 animal rights activists gathered outside the courtroom in downtown Richmond.

~*~*~*~*~

My favorite part is this :
Any outcome that ties Vick to betting on the dogfights could trigger a lifetime ban from the NFL under the league's personal conduct policy.

GOOD!
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Senior Contributor

I believe the plea deal includes a year in jail minimum, that's probably the sticking point. He thinks he can avoid jail! His lawyers must be wringing their hands because he could do alot worse at trial.
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Well however long he gets in jail, I sure hope where he goes there are A LOT of animal lovers there. I've seen some people who love animals more than people, so even though they are criminals they don't appreciate people who do harm to kids or animals.

If anyone ever deserved a good butt whipping its this animal!
Old August 17th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Vick issued a statement saying he looked forward to clearing his name.
Please....Your name is dog-do do now..scumbag. He will always have a bad rap and good, I hope he gets what he deserves.

ACO22
Old August 17th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Swift Tribe

you know what i think?? i think there are enough people in the right positions who love their dogs. i think he is going to rot for this.

-ashley