Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old July 4th, 2009, 11:23 AM
Garden nut

Summer blooms!

Well the first Lily of the year has bloomed, as well as more Iris, Siberian Iris, Hardy Geranium, and volunteer Wild Daises.

Hope you enjoy!
Attached Images

Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Garden nut

More pictures...
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Garden nut

And more...
Attached Images

Old July 4th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Molly's mama

I love them all- absolutely beautiful! I can't wait to plant some Irises in my yard. When would be the best time?
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Molly's mama

that last Iris is to die for! What's it called?
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Garden nut

August is probably best for Iris. And you can get good "end of season" sales from your garden nursery. I got most of my bearded types for $1 or $2 per pot from those sales. Most were mislabeled though. The smaller rust/yellow ones were just marked yellow.

Last one is a Siberian Iris that we got from Veseys mail order. It came in a multi pack so I don't know it's catalog name. I'll dig out my old catalogs and try to find the name for you.
Old July 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
Garden nut

It's either "Soft Blue" or "Caesar's Brother" but the one I have definitely looks blue on the camera, but to the eye it looks purple.

So beats me which one it is! I just know it's a Siberian Iris.

There's another one yet to bloom and I have no idea what color it will be. This is their 3rd year in the ground and just now starting to bloom. The previous years they were so small and didn't bloom (out of a set of 7 roots, only 4 survived and I got a refund) and it hardly seemed worth mail ordering them and I definitely recommend visiting a local plant nursery instead to get a well established clump in a pot. Mail order live plants tend to be teeny tiny and take forever to get established. At least you won't have to wait three years to see what you purchased!
Old July 4th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

OMG I gotta have a blue iris!! That is gorgeous! so is everything else~!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 4th, 2009, 09:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

As usual, I can't download your pics Maybe next year--phone company is supposed to be bringing us DSL

However, I'm intrigued... Are you saying that Siberian iris comes in multiple colors?!? I used to have pretty good luck with Siberian iris, but I've only ever seen them in a deep violet-blue color.

If they come in more than one color, it opens up new horizons for hazel's garden, since Siberian iris is one of the few varieties that gets along with her moldy thumb!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 4th, 2009, 10:23 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
As usual, I can't download your pics Maybe next year--phone company is supposed to be bringing us DSL

However, I'm intrigued... Are you saying that Siberian iris comes in multiple colors?!? I used to have pretty good luck with Siberian iris, but I've only ever seen them in a deep violet-blue color.

If they come in more than one color, it opens up new horizons for hazel's garden, since Siberian iris is one of the few varieties that gets along with her moldy thumb!
hazel, I'll email them to you.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Uh-oh...can't get anything through in email right now, either, 14+ -- unless you can really cut them down in size.

The phone lines are cracklin'...sound a little like the fireworks going on outside!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:07 PM
Garden nut

Hazel I stopped posting pics that were hosted on other websites like Photobucket just so you could see them.

I'm sorry your internet is FUBAR. :sad:

Hope you're able to get some better service in future!
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:07 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Quote:
Uh-oh...can't get anything through in email right now, either, 14+ -- unless you can really cut them down in size.

The phone lines are cracklin'...sound a little like the fireworks going on outside!
Oh shoot!! I actually did make them smaller but when I sent them I guess I included one of mine which hadn't been made smaller. It wasn't one I wanted to send either. Very weedy in that area.
Sorry hazel.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 4th, 2009, 11:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

But that's great, Ceara...I mean selfishly, for me! Cuz that means once our phone lines get over their current difficulty, I should be able to download them Thank you!!!

We're just having our usual summer glitch in the lines--they're always bad over holiday weekends, maybe cuz there's an influx of people down by the lake and increased use of the lines

Weedy is homey, 14+ Weeds always put me in mind of my own gardens.

And no harm done--it was too big to open, but because I was forewarned, I went directly to webmail and deleted it before it tried to download to my local mail program!

Thank you for trying!

This time next year maybe they'll have the DSL in

Okay, so now back to the original question Do Siberian irises come in more than one color?

Old July 5th, 2009, 08:03 AM
Garden nut

Quote:
Okay, so now back to the original question Do Siberian irises come in more than one color?
Yes!

Just about every color except orange/red. There are various shades and combos of purple/blue, pink, yellow, white. The closest you can get to red are some nice dark magenta types. I've only seen photos of those online at the Iris Society website.

The Iris I really want is the Spuria type. These can bloom on top of stalks 3 to 5 feet tall and the flowers are around 5 inches across. I haven't found any suppliers in Canada, but there are a few in the USA.

14+ dont feel bad about weeds. I can never get all the weeds out and there are little bite marks on most of the flower foliage where something had a trial nibble. There's even baby maple trees in the Lily/Iris bed. Those little helicopters can sure fly.

Last edited by CearaQC; July 5th, 2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM
You can call me DOG!

Holy smokes CearaQC--the Soft Blue or Caesar's Brother Siberian Iris is absolutely to die for! I have so many bearded iris's right now that I have to dig and divide them.

Your lilies also look amazing.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

The lilies and iris are spectacular. I have that hardy geranium too. Tough as nails and always blooming.

Cindy
Old July 5th, 2009, 09:45 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Connection is still slow tonight, but I think I got most of the pics this time

That blue iris is absolutely gorgeous! I've never seen one that color! Nor did I know that Siberian irises came in so many colors! I'm definitely going to have to start hunting around for a supplier!

Old July 5th, 2009, 09:56 PM
Garden nut

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Hazel I'm glad you got to see some of the pictures. Here's a specialty supplier in your state for the Siberian Iris. There's a dreamy cobalt blue one there! And a powder blue type. They also have Japanese Iris and Louisiana Iris.

http://www.rivergategardens.com/siberianiris.html
Old July 5th, 2009, 11:05 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Ooooo...lettin' it try to load in a different window

Where are they located, do you know?

The yellow and rust irises downloaded this time, too. They're stunning!

Old July 5th, 2009, 11:07 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Cazenovia! I even know where that is! Amazing!

Old July 6th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I love those irises!! They are gorgeous colours! And lilies are my favorite flowers I have hundreds of them,,if the sun ever comes out again I might even get blooms.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)