Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM

Felliway

Hi;

Does anyone know if the cat calming products in the pet stores are effective?
I'm working on integrating a new cat into my household (see complete story at http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=62347). I have two other cats who have gotten along together just fine for years but with the new cat in the house there are some problems. So far I've been cycling between giving all of them supervised free access and isolating the new cat in the bedroom for a couple of hours every evening. There are still some serious tensions between the three of them - hissing, growling and at least one significant fight.

Most disturbing is that the relationship between my two resident cats has suffered. They are hissing and growling and basically upsetting each other. Also, my younger boy does not want to come out from under the bed. I can coax him out with a treat and he'll stay in the living room if I put him there but he's always been little mister friendly and I'm getting worried that the stress of having the new cat, and the aggression, will affect him permanently.

The pet store I frequent has a product, a plug in device like a room freshener, and the label says "contains felliway". My specific question is whether this is the felliway product that's been mentioned in several other threads or if there is something more appropriate that might be available only through the vet?

Other than that, I'm open to any suggestions about relieving some of the aggression and tension. I don't want to continue having to isolate everyone all the time - it's not fair to the two who have been with me for all these years. Fortunately, if I can't make this work - the newer cat's previous home is willing to take her back.....it's just not an ideal situation for her. She won't be abandoned at any rate!

"The Kids"
~Corkie - Tuxedo, at the bridge (probably hogging the sunbeam)
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
~Jollip - Senegal Parrot, 13 yrs
~Yeti - Himalayan, 12 yrs
~Pepin - Silver Martin/Dwarf Rabbit, 8 yrs
Old May 6th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmallfurries View Post
The pet store I frequent has a product, a plug in device like a room freshener, and the label says "contains felliway". My specific question is whether this is the felliway product that's been mentioned in several other threads or if there is something more appropriate that might be available only through the vet?
Does it say "Comfort Zone with Feliway"? That would be the one you're looking for. It has a couple different packaging designs, one that's mostly purple and looks like this: http://www.feliway.com/gb and another that's a bright fuscia colour and looks like this: http://catfaeries.com/feliway.html They're both the same product.

Feliway may or may not work, depends on just how escalated the tensions are and how receptive your cats are to the pheromones. It's certainly worth a shot and even if it doesn't work for ALL the cats, it may at least help one or 2 of them to feel more at ease. My vet has Feliway diffusers in all her exam rooms and I've definitely noticed a difference in my cat's stress levels since she started using them. Supposedly it has an effect on about 60% of cats.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Does it say "Comfort Zone with Feliway"? That would be the one you're looking for. It has a couple different packaging designs, one that's mostly purple and looks like this: http://www.feliway.com/gb and another that's a bright fuscia colour and looks like this: http://catfaeries.com/feliway.html They're both the same product.
No - didn't look like that either of those - was all bubble wrapped and was called Kitty Comfort or some such thing - what I was hesitating about was the "contains Feliway" description - it didn't say what ELSE it might contain! But, I did just get a call back from one of the vets in the neighbourhood where I work and they have the Feliway in the purple box in stock (your first link) - so I'm off to speak with them about it.

I know the Feliway is not a guaranteed solution.....and I know that a successful integration can take weeks or even months. At this point I'd just like to get to "I don't like it, but I'll stay in the same room without complaining too loudly" and we can all can work toward "come on, let's play!" It just breaks my heart to see my little guy hiding away like that...:sad:

Quote:
Supposedly it has an effect on about 60% of cats.
Now I'm sort of curious if it's the same 60% that are affected by catnip ??

Thanks for the help!

"The Kids"
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
Old May 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

SCM is right there are 2 different ones. The ones you buy at the vet are very expensive and they are the right ones. I buy mine online from the US and have them shipped via the mailman. Its great. I can forward you the location that I get them from. I understand the issue with them not being allowed in Canada is because they are like your Glade Plugins and the Diffuser / Plug in is not CSA approved.

The ones at the pet stores are not the same for some reason.

Oh and the reason I am using it is because mt little princess kitty Tabitha likes to pee on the dogs bed and only is bed! Now she doesnt do it anymore so it works for me. I know many it has worked for and a few on here have said it didnt work so I guess you wont knoe till you try it. The concept makes sense to me now but I had never heard of them before..

Good Luck
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 6th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsmallfurries View Post
No - didn't look like that either of those - was all bubble wrapped and was called Kitty Comfort or some such thing - what I was hesitating about was the "contains Feliway" description - it didn't say what ELSE it might contain!
Ya, sounds dubious at best. "Feliway" is the proprietary formula of a company in France called Ceva Sante Animale. I question the legitimacy (and legality) of this other company using the Feliway name.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old May 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Ya, sounds dubious at best. "Feliway" is the proprietary formula of a company in France called Ceva Sante Animale. I question the legitimacy (and legality) of this other company using the Feliway name.
Next time I'm in for food I'll have another look at it.....now I'm kind of curious. If it's not above board I'll mention it to the shop owner.

I did get over to the animal hospital near my office and I got some "real" Feliway - the purple box, made by CEVA......the vet was very informative and suggested a few other techniques as well. I got the atomizer and the pump spray so I'm happily dousing everything tonight!

I'm also going back to square 1 for a few days. No visuals - just scents.

"The Kids"
~Sparks - Calico, 15 yrs
Old May 7th, 2009, 08:04 AM
Kitty pimp

try this if you can get lavender sachets or lavender soap pet the cats after washing with it give it time too like 6 weeks it can be crazy sometimes i assume htey are all neutered?