Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

View Poll Results: Do you think that the chances of finding my dog are futile?
Yes, give it up. 0 0%
Maybe, after a couple weeks your chances are not so good 1 9.09%
No, never stop looking until you have him at your side again. 10 90.91%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 6th, 2006, 10:38 AM

Exclamation Missing Dog In Nanaimo BC

Please help me find my lost baby!
His name is Mayhem and he is a 1 1/2 year old American Bulldog.
He is all white except for his right brindle ear.
He has a bummed hind knee.
He is not neutered.
He also responds to Doodles.
Please help me..... any information would be helpful.
He was last seen in the Wakesiah/Bowen Park Area.
He went missing around October 20th
All the leaflets that I posted on Sat Nov 4th, were torn down by Monday morning
Attached Images

Last edited by nitavallillee; November 7th, 2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old November 6th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm not seeing your picture.

You didn't say how long he's been gone. Nevertheless, don't give up! You have to work hard, put up posters everywhere he might be, including the area where he was lost. You might even add 'Any information appreciated' if you suspect he was stolen. Talk to people as you go (some people don't read posters), maybe someone will remember seeing him. Advertise in local newspapers. Watch out for ads selling a dog like yours. Unfortunately, since he is not neutered, someone might try to sell him as a breeder.
Vet offices, grocery stores, corner stores, pet stores, and off course the pound or SPCA, you need to GO there every day, not just telephone.
Good luck!

PS To post a picture, scroll down to "manage attachments" and go from there.
Old November 6th, 2006, 03:12 PM
-

Badger has given you lots of good information. I think, because he is not neutered, someone is going to try to offer his services. Good luck.
Old November 6th, 2006, 07:17 PM

We've tried to upload pictures but it won't let us, keeps saying there too big even though we have re sized them down to almost nothing.
Old November 6th, 2006, 09:54 PM
-

I am not the person to help you with a problem like that but I will try to find someone that can asap.
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:13 PM

As he wasn't fixed, he probably got lost going after the scent of a female. He must be hungry and scared by now; they say the best time to look for a lost pet is in the early morning hours and early evening when it is not too loud and busy outside.
Another eerie thought: are they any puppy mills in your area that might be interested in an unneutered male?
Good luck and don't give up until you know what has happened to Mayhem.
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:14 PM

Here is one thread about resizing.
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24118
Hope it helps.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:41 AM

Thank-you for the helpful picture info....finally....here is a picture of my love!
Once agaain I was out in the area whre he went missing and I noticed that more of my posters were torn down! I couldn't help but to cry...why is someone being to cruel?
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:36 PM

Are you sure you're allowed posting posters?
Old November 7th, 2006, 01:53 PM
-

Phone Nanaimo City Hall and ask about bylaws regarding putting up posters or B.C. Hydro and Telus if it's their poles you are using. Ask store owners if you can put the posters up in their windows on the inside. Keep going to the SPCA, city pound and shelters, etc. in person. People tend to forget when they get busy.

Glad you got the pic posted. Mayhem is a very handsome boy and my fingers are crossed for his safe return.
Old November 7th, 2006, 02:49 PM

Oh no, I just saw he wasn't neutered.:sad: Even more fingers crossed for his safe return.
Old November 7th, 2006, 10:53 PM

So we found him, sort of. Someone phoned with info from our poster saying they had hime for 3-4 days and were going to keep him unless someone came looking for him or they saw a lost poster. But then he escaped their yard. They went to the pound the next day and he was there but because he didn't have his tags and they weren't the original owners they held him for 3 days then sold him for $300. The people who took him in couldn't afford this so we don't know were he is or what type of family adopted him. Were pissed though because we dropped a poster off at the pound recently and described him and his bad leg and they didn't even phone or remember him, how convenient!. I guess their more interested in making $300 off my dog than returning it to the rightful owner. We are going there first thing tomorrow as we just found out at closing today. Not sure if they will tell us who adopted him, but on the phone the lady said were pretty much **** out of luck.

Is there anything we can do?
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:04 PM

omg that's horrible! I have no idea what you can do. :sad:
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I would make a HUGE fuss. There are too many of these shelters operating as they like, often contrary to their own mandate.
I would write a letter to the director of the pound (copies to all board members, you'll have to find out their names, city hall should have these), laying out your case: you did all the right things to find him, you GAVE the shelter a poster, went there personally, etc. Make it like a business letter, no hysterics please. Tell them you are in the process of consulting a lawyer (and do it, to find out if you have a case). Get a copy of the regulations governing the pound (city hall should have it, since they are the ones who award the contract) and find out if they have stepped over the line.
Do not call them to complain or go there in person again, this is potentially a legal matter.
Plus he wasn't neutered, and yet they sold him ($300? I had no idea pounds charged that much), but they do that here too.

Do NOT let this go, I think your rights have been abused and you should step up. It may cost you a few dollars but if you want your dog back...
Old November 8th, 2006, 02:14 AM

I'm in Nanaimo. The by-law over loose dogs without tags is that they will be held for 72 hours before putting them up for adoption. 72 hours isn't very long, but it is the law. So if you didn't go within that time of your dog missing, legally they could adopt him out. Another law is that they have to maintain a log book of the dogs that go through there. Ask them to check it - or did you already?

One thing that came to mind was - (cynical old me) - did these people who phoned really see him at the pound? Or did they keep him themselves, or sell him and tell you the pound did it? Maybe that's why the people at the pound didn't think they'd seen your dog.

The adoption fee there, I believe, was something like $75, not $300. Although with the fees they do have for keeping lost dogs, plus fines for by-law violations, it could cost an owner a lot to get their own dog back. So maybe your dog ended up at the pound, then these people went in and said they were the real owners, then balked at the fees and fines.

Your dog could easily be called a 'restricted' dog, which would make the fees and fines even higher. Unless he's CKC registered?

If I were you, I'd go to the Pound with an open attitude and ask for info. Something doesn't sound right with the story those people told you, from what I know of the pound here.

For anyone else reading this - our Pound is really really tiny. This summer when my hubby and I went in looking to see if they had any dogs suitable for us to adopt, there were a total of 7 dogs there - 2 strays, 3 available for adoption, and 2 employees dogs who hang out at work. That's it. The kennels were almost full. And the people were really open and friendly and eager to chat about the dogs. It's not some huge, big city deal.

Last edited by nansel; November 8th, 2006 at 03:14 AM.
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:13 AM
-

I'm so sorry for what has happened with Mayhem. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Senior Contributor

Please do not give up on your dog,even if it is impossible to get him back,I hope not
You HAVE to make sure he did not end up in a puppy-mill,he looks to be a very desirable dog for breeding and we all know about the miserable life of a P-M dog.
If he was mine,I'd fight tooth and nail to get him back and when I did,first on the agenda,after lots of hugs,would be neutering.
Mayhem is ok..
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:36 AM
Senior Contributor

When someone goes to the pound to claim a dog, wouldn't they have to provide some kind of proof that it was indeed theirs?
Since you lost him over a month ago (missed that bit), and 72 hours is the limit for keeping an animal (which doesn't seem long enough to me, especially if they have the space), this could be difficult.
But you're right nansel, the people who called could have another agenda.
Old November 8th, 2006, 12:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Another thing,is not $300 a little steep for a shelter-dog?Or is that the norm?
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:03 PM

Exclamation It Has Come To An End

Mayhem Doodle Bugs White
As I write this my heart swells with saddness and pain.
We thought last night that Mayhem was sold to someone for $300....but this morning I called (as they told me to), to discover that he had already been at the pound has his 72 hr mercy keep, and was euthanized.....his body sent to the dump like a piece of trash.
They told me because of his bummed knee he was deemed unadoptable and put to sleep. I am in such pain knowing that his last days were spent alone and uncared for. No one that loved him was at his side when he was scared and having that god aweful lethal injection put in his neck....and I don't even get to keep his remains because he is already buried amongst garbige.
HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO BE MURDED....HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO DIE ALONE.....HE DIDN'T DESERVE TO BE TREATED LIKE TRASH.....
I am so upset that I have lost a member of my family....I never get to see him again.
I don't think that I can cope with this grief.
Please keep him in your thoughts as we try to cope and try to remember him as the good puppy that he was.
He was just a puppy.
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:07 PM

omg that's so horrible! If I were you, I'd be calling the media right now. :sad:
Old November 8th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Queen

I'm sorry that's awful.:sad: I don't really understand exactly how this happened, the spca was basically not doing their job and being horrible.
Mayhem Doodle Bugs White
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:29 PM

This was the Nanaimo Pound. The Nanaimo SPCA is a totally different organization.
Old November 8th, 2006, 09:40 PM

Are you absolutely 100% certain that they did indeed euthanise him? Maybe he is still alive and this is their cover up....
Why would they put him to sleep when you had let them know awhile ago that you lost him? American Bulldogs are very rare dogs and very expensive. Just a thought. This is a very sad, sad incident.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:13 PM
Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieqt
Are you absolutely 100% certain that they did indeed euthanise him? Maybe he is still alive and this is their cover up....
Why would they put him to sleep when you had let them know awhile ago that you lost him? American Bulldogs are very rare dogs and very expensive.
That is a good point. This story just seems so off. There is no end to people being evil to make $$$, so it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. I wouldn't want to give false hope either though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nansel
This was the Nanaimo Pound. The Nanaimo SPCA is a totally different organization.
I didn't realize there was a Nanaimo pound. I thought pound was just an archaic term people use for animal shelter.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:50 PM
-

I am so sorry to hear about Mayhem. It seems strange that there is two different stories as to what happened to him. I would make a big fuss, get media attention and do whatever you can to get to the bottom of this.
Old November 8th, 2006, 10:52 PM
boubou

What a horrible story. I can't imagine the pain you must be feeling. He was a beautiful dog, which makes it hard for me to believe that they euthanized him so quickly. They could have easily sold him to a puppy mill for breeding, bad knee or not. I don't know what else you could do, but as with most shelters, the bodies are put into freezers and when they are full, a company comes to pick them up for disposal (most companies charge by the freezer full). If he was indeed euthanized not long ago, more than likely his body would still be there in the freezer, not disposed of in the garbage like they said. Sounds fishy to me.........
Old November 8th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

missing

There are alot of things about this story that just don't add up.
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maya View Post
I didn't realize there was a Nanaimo pound. I thought pound was just an archaic term people use for animal shelter.
Some cities still have pounds... They pick up the strays and put them in there...
Old November 9th, 2006, 12:35 AM
Queen

I don't suppose you have the name of the people that called you? Or the number in your cell phone history or call display? If you do you could try googling it and see if you get anything. It seems like someone may have wanted you to stop looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Some cities still have pounds...
Hmm interesting, it sounds outdated to me for some reason.