Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 25th, 2007, 12:19 PM

Veggie Blend?

I need a strictly veggie recipe... mainly greens, to be all mixed up (blended, even), and thrown in bags to be frozen. Raw or cooked... I don't believe it matters.

Does anyone have any? I have a few that tell the ingredients, but I need to know quantites.

Thanks in advance.
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Swift Tribe

strictly veggie?? no meats or no animal products, grains or dairy??? it would be really nice to add eggs (perfect protein source) and oatmeal and yogurt...

if you go all veggie pureed you woudl really have to look into a good protein source and many other things.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old December 26th, 2007, 11:19 AM

STRICTLY veggie. No meat, no eggs... just vegetables. I know Red Dog makes some, but they're hard to order in where I live.

I need something like this:

Red Dog Deli's Organic Juiced Veggies, 1 LB
Ingredients: Green kale, spinach, zucchini, squash, jewel yams.
Old December 27th, 2007, 11:14 PM

Hi,
While I don't have any veggie blend recipes there is a company in California that makes a dehydrated blend with no meats. It contains alfalfa, sweet potato, cabbage, apple, spinach, organic kelp, coconut, banana, zucchini and honey. It's primarily sold as a base to which you would add your own meats. If you think this may be something like you're looking for and want more info just send me a message and I'll give you the website so you can check it out. Hope this helps and good luck.
BS62
Old December 28th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Honest Kitchen makes the dehydrated mix that BadSneakers62 is talking about, but I don't think any stores in BC carry it.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 28th, 2007, 08:55 AM

It is Honest Kitchen I was referring to, I just didn't want to be considered advertising. I know they sell online and ship if it wasn't available in local stores.
BS62
Old December 29th, 2007, 12:26 AM

Thanks guys.

There is a pet store near where I live who makes their own food (raw blends, treats, etc), as well as imports the brand names (urban carnivore, amore, etc).

I went in today and they were just finishing making a fresh batch of the veggie blend, so I bought 4 packages. I was hoping to find a recipe though so I could make my own. I assume most of the ingredients are equal (1cup of this, 1cup of that...), but I'd rather follow a recipe... add different ingredients (to make different blends) and whatnot.

I'll buy these in the meantime, but if anyone happens to stumble across a website that has any recipes, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old December 31st, 2007, 02:57 AM
Live well, laugh often

Hi stranger, long time no see . Hugs to you and Ben.

I just go into the local produce place and buy whatever is on sale. My favorites are apples, sweet potatoes (or other squash), zuchinni, carrots with the tops, dandelion greens (in season) and kale is also very good for them. I do throw in some broccoli/cauliflower but not to much as it can make them very gassy. Avoid peppers and raw potatoes (not sweet) and limit the carrot volume to about 10% as they can have high sugar content.

If you actually read the labels from the companies that make dog veggies they also tend to mix up the stuff they use according to seasons. Watch out for companies that use stuff like lettuce as it basically provides no nutritional value.

I used to run everything through the juicer and then add the pulp back and freeze in muffin size portions. I now have a food processor which is a bit more effective. I sometimes cheat and throw in unsweetened applesauce as well instead of using real apples.