Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 30th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Meaghan Edwards

GREAT news

Quote:
Toronto coyote gets reprieve
Last Updated: Monday, March 30, 2009 | 12:47 PM ET Comments10Recommend17
CBC News

A coyote roaming the Beach neighhbourhood in Toronto will not be euthanized after all, but will instead be relocated to a zoo or wildlife area outside the city, says a city councillor.

Toronto Animal Control officers were poised to euthanize the coyote after it killed a small dog last month and continued to return to local backyards.

They said they had no choice after Ontario's Ministry of Natural Resources refused to issue a special permit allowing the animal to be relocated outside the city.

Under provincial rules, the coyote could only be moved one kilometre away, which would have kept it within city limits.

Over the weekend more than 200 people signed a petition to save the animal.

Coun. Sandra Bussin, who represents the neighbhourhood, said Monday that Minister of Natural Resources Donna Cansfield changed her mind and issued the special permit.
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/toronto/sto...30/coyote.html

I'm hoping he gets transferred to the Toronto Zoo. I'm a member so I'd be able to visit him often
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

So wonderful that people gathered in numbers to sign the petition. It just proves that something can be done when people voice their opinion in numbers.

Great work for all those that faught for this coyote.
Old March 30th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

WOW,somebody listened,that's unusual,but good news for the Coyote
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:18 AM
Senior Contributor

Good news for the coyote. Funny, though that at first the first thing that TAS wanted to do was hire a company to shoot it. Now, they are fighting for the coyote.

Could it be that since TAS is a animal-welfare organization, someone actually got smart and thought oh, this looks really bad. And now they are fighting for the relocation of the coyote.

There first thought should have to been, how can we protect this animal.

Good news for the coyote.

ACO22
Old March 31st, 2009, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
Good news for the coyote. Funny, though that at first the first thing that TAS wanted to do was hire a company to shoot it. Now, they are fighting for the coyote.

Could it be that since TAS is a animal-welfare organization, someone actually got smart and thought oh, this looks really bad. And now they are fighting for the relocation of the coyote.

There first thought should have to been, how can we protect this animal.

Good news for the coyote.

ACO22
I have seen organizations grow. What was once their mandate changes through a change of management. Whatever their motives (if any at all) - it sounds all good.

We as individuals become more educated and are also more pro-active based on knowledge, experience sometimes purely by the influence of others. Whatever the reason, animal welfare and awareness is striving forward to make decisions based on the changing of times, attitudes and a growing number of activists. I am pleased to see changes of heart every day. It's great!
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:46 AM
Senior Contributor

BenMax, I agree..whatever their motives are, they are giving the coyote the upper hand. Giving it a chance.

I was just saying that them being an animal-welfare organization, their first thought should have been to what resources can we use to protect this animal. It really bothers me that what should have been their first thought, was second.

Yes, organizations grow, but in my opinion sadly..with this organization, I think it was more a case of scurtney from the public and not from the heart. This is a government agencie that has to look at everything they do.

but the coyote now has the upper hand, as it should. Just hope that they follow though and if it is trapped, they do relocate the coyote.

Coyotes are hard to trap though. They are to intelligant. It is very hard to trap a coyote or fox for that matter.

ACO22
Old March 31st, 2009, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
BenMax, I agree..whatever their motives are, they are giving the coyote the upper hand. Giving it a chance.

I was just saying that them being an animal-welfare organization, their first thought should have been to what resources can we use to protect this animal. It really bothers me that what should have been their first thought, was second.

Yes, organizations grow, but in my opinion sadly..with this organization, I think it was more a case of scurtney from the public and not from the heart. This is a government agencie that has to look at everything they do.

but the coyote now has the upper hand, as it should. Just hope that they follow though and if it is trapped, they do relocate the coyote.

Coyotes are hard to trap though. They are to intelligant. It is very hard to trap a coyote or fox for that matter.

ACO22
Oh I hear you ACO22. Regardless if they are bowing to public pressure - this animal along with others will benefit. Sometimes organizations (whether a front or not) must change with the times or for own personal again to regain the confidence of the public. As long as the animals will be saved....I am good with that.
Old March 31st, 2009, 03:39 PM
Senior Contributor

As am I,he is a beautiful animal,maybe something good will come out of this,people will care more about their cats and spend time outside with their dogs
Old April 2nd, 2009, 09:40 AM

I'm not sure putting this coyote or the next one that replaces it and the one after that into zoos would be a great thing. They will be living in a cage for the rest of their lives after all and who knows what kind of cage that will be. There is no good answer fro this coyote. I've been reading that peopel in the area have been feeding it and that's why it's become less afraid of people in the first place. Maybe now with all this publicity people will learn to stop feeding and attracting the coyotes.
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Definitely the best way to keep coyotes away is to have no food source.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 2nd, 2009, 06:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margo Kram View Post
I'm not sure putting this coyote or the next one that replaces it and the one after that into zoos would be a great thing. They will be living in a cage for the rest of their lives after all and who knows what kind of cage that will be. There is no good answer fro this coyote. I've been reading that peopel in the area have been feeding it and that's why it's become less afraid of people in the first place. Maybe now with all this publicity people will learn to stop feeding and attracting the coyotes.
Margo, This animal would go to a animal sankuary or on protected land. and yes, it is funny that it is us humans that have created this problem, yet blindly of course don't see it. It's sad that with our intellingace, we are the least compassionate specie's and do nothing about it to fix it.

People can be stupid.

ACO22