Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old March 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
Senior Contributor

I honestly have nothing good to say about the MNR or the way they"manage"wild-life,it seems killing is their only solution
At the time when no baby-raccoons were allowed to live,Igette,a member here,found 5 baby--raccoons on her property.
She tried in vain to find anyone to care for them,but no sanctuary would,they'd been ordered to kill any babies by MNR.
She was only able to save one,the others did not survive....here he is all grown,he was free to go if he wanted and eventually he left.
Attached Images

Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Senior Contributor

Chico2 - this is very sad. I do not understand why people don't get it. I think it boils down to us having the ability to be 'selfish'. Humans can never think beyond their needs - everything else is expendable.:sad:
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes,it really is,at the time everyone on the Forum was trying to find some place that would keep the babies alive,but no,they had to be killed.
I forgot how many they had killed,but it was several hundreds....found to be 99,9 % very healthy animals.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Yes,it really is,at the time everyone on the Forum was trying to find some place that would keep the babies alive,but no,they had to be killed.
I forgot how many they had killed,but it was several hundreds....found to be 99,9 % very healthy animals.
Seriously Chico2 - this really breaks my heart. I am not just saying this, I mean it. There was an idiot here that had killed 125 squirrels and asked for advice on how to rid them because more kept coming. He was explained that number 1 - it is illegal, and # 2 - it only will add to his 'problem'.

I wish that we could all just find peace. Where is it?:sad:
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:54 AM
Meaghan Edwards

Stupid MNR! RIP little guy/girl

Quote:
March 04, 2009
The Hamilton Spectator
(Mar 4, 2009)
Coyote caught and killed

The city's animal control department has killed one of the coyotes roaming the Beach Strip.

The coyote was caught Monday night around 11:30 p.m., said city spokesperson Debbie Spence. It was taken to the city's animal shelter and euthanized yesterday.

The animal control department hoped to relocate the animal to the Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary in the Muskoka area but required permission to do so from the Ministry of Natural Resources.

Yesterday, the city learned the ministry would approve the move only if the animal was injured. The ministry then advised that the animal should be destroyed.

Spence said the city was trying to balance the rights of the animal with the safety of the community.

"Any animal that willingly goes into a trap is definitely habituated to humans and could be considered a threat to public safety," she said.
http://thehamiltonspectator.com/article/523561

The last statement seems odd to me . . . If that's the case, what about feral cats are aren't habituated to people? It's been a tough winter, it was probably just hungry I'm writing a letter to the editor, MNR needs an overhaul.

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; March 5th, 2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:01 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

little one

The last statement is strange to me too. Any animal that is hungry/starving/curious enough will go into a trap. Does not make it a threat to puplic safety! What Spence said just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

WTF???????? Is this Spence guy an idiot . There is no correlation between an animal (possibly starving) going into a trap and being tame. My cats would not go into a live trap that I had outside my house last winter, they sniffed but didn't go in and they are very, very tame.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Senior Contributor

OMG,the MNR on a killing-mission again,their excuses for killing are always outrageous and inane,makes no sense...I am so sorry this beautiful animal was caught
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Meaghan Edwards

People who know nothing about animals have no space to talk about them, like this Spence person. Another article here:

Quote:
Hamilton coyotes won’t call Aspen Valley home
PRINT | DISCUSS | E-MAIL
Statistics
Advertisement Interstitial Ad

North Star, News, Wednesday, March 4, 2009
by Carli Whitwell | more by this writer

The Ministry of Natural Resources has denied a family of coyotes that have been pestering an east Hamilton neighbourhood a chance to live at the Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary.

Hoping to change the stance, the co-founder of Coyote Watch Canada is requesting the Minister of Natural Resources intervene.

Lesley Sampson, who was acting as a liaison between the city of Hamilton and Aspen Valley said late Monday she was waiting for a phone call from the Honourable Donna Cansfield, Ontario’s minister of natural resources.

“I don’t think the public realizes the end result,” said Sampson, referring to the fact that if the coyotes are trapped, they will likely be euthanized. “They don’t realize there are other options.”

The family of coyotes have been prowling the east end Hamilton neighbourhood for over two weeks now. Sampson said there are indications one is pregnant.

Though the coyotes aren’t displaying aggressive behaviour, they are searching for food, said Paul Buckle, the manager of Hamilton’s animal control office, and leaving them at large is too great a risk for the public.

No humans have been hurt, but two dogs have been injured by the animals, one seriously.

Sampson approached city officials last week to propose an alternate solution for the animals. “We’re not relocating the animals to be released, they will be in a sanctuary type situation,” she said. “This is a rare situation and we are not expecting, nor do we want to set a precedent.”

However, there are a few issues impeding the transfer to Aspen Valley.

The sanctuary is licensed for injured or orphaned wildlife, not nuisance animals, said Jai Longhurst, animal keeper at the sanctuary.

“If it’s strictly a nuisance animal, it’s up to the Ministry of Natural Resources whether the animals are able to come here,” she said.

Bill Murch, information officer for the MNR said it’s likely this won’t happen, since it’s not a legal option.

“We’re probably looking at that one (euthanization) as a likely option,” he said.

But Buckle says the city will do what they can to avoid destroying the animals. This includes aversion conditioning – using tactics to drive the coyotes from the area.

The MNR allows for relocation up to one kilometre away, but coyotes range up to nine kilometres, so they could easily return to the area.

“We can’t leave them where they are,” said Buckle. “All it takes is some little kid, someone who is small enough … if they run away from the coyote, that could conceivably trigger the animal’s hunting instinct and he could view that child as prey.”

Coyotes are notoriously difficult to trap and officials have spent the last week conditioning them to enter the traps that could be eventually used for the transfer.

If needed, Aspen Valley has transport barrels designed for bears that work for coyotes and wolves.

The coyotes could be sedated and transported in the barrels.

Each year, The Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary looks after and then releases orphaned coyotes from all over Ontario. If approved, this would be their first group of “nuisance” coyotes.

Sampson said she would like change to come from this incident, suggesting bylaws should be enforced by cities to prevent humans from feeding wild animals, which officials believe attracted the coyotes to the area in the first place.
http://www.parrysound.com/press/1236186366/

I know that one of the dogs was offleash (I hope the owner was fined). GRR! People are way more at threat by loose dogs than any wild animal. I'll let you know if my letter to the editor gets printed. It's a BEACHSTRIP, wildlife is expected, just like in Toronto with the ravines. If people can't put with wildlife when there's places such as these, they need to move to an apartment or something.

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; March 5th, 2009 at 09:01 AM.
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:14 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I don't see any mention of public education on keeping pets and children safe, which in my mind is the best way to avoid an incident.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post
I don't see any mention of public education on keeping pets and children safe, which in my mind is the best way to avoid an incident.
Amen. I was at Macassa Park yesterday (it's by Upper Sherman) with my two dogs (on lead) and most other dog owners had their dogs offleash Offleash dogs are more of a threat than coyotes are.
Old March 5th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Contributor

MOTD,these are not the Coyotes that were in the news,who killed a Chihuahua,right?
The one that was eutheanized(sp)?
Old March 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
Meaghan Edwards

These were the ones on the Burlington/Hamilton beachstrip. I was there today to see I could snap a picture or two of them, they decided to be typical wild animals and hide for me. Here's hoping they'll be left alone.
Old March 5th, 2009, 09:16 PM

Coyote

I just joined the group today,I live in Tucson AZ,my house is across from a wash and open desert and every night we hear the coyote's calling to each other going out on the hunt,they hunt in pack's 4-6 in a group,they have lived here in the desert way before us human's lived here,we hear all the time of family pet's getting carried away,if it was my pet I would be really upset,but that's what they do,they don't know if it's a cat or dog we have all kind's of rabbit's that they chase down,so what are we to do,kill them all,move them some place else,I have a 6 foot wall and I never let my Chihuahua's out alone,In the early hour's as the sun begin's to rise coyote's are seen walking down what will become busy area's in an hour or so,today there was a rattle snake dead on the road in front of my house,they are waking up because it is warm early here,so what to do with the snake's''we also have to deal with bob cat's and mountain lion's the wild life guy's do go out and shoot the lion's if they get to close to people but there again we are walking in there mountian's where-ever a person live's in this beautiful land there is alway's something waiting to eat us or our pet's
Old March 6th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Chimi,very well said and welcome to our Forum
If you are ever able to take pics of any of the wildlife,we'd love to see some

MOTD,As far as I know,they killed a female Coyote in Toronto on the order of the MNR,I think the media is keeping it low-key:sad:
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Welcome to the forum, Chimi! Very well said. It's interesting that you mention rattlesnakes; we used to have them but now they're confined to about two places Construction needs to be halted in natural areas or made environmentally friendly. I would love to see pics, too!

That's a shame As much as I'd like to see them left as is, it would have been better if they have sent her to the Toronto Zoo where she would have received excellent care. The keepers look after the animals better than a lot of pet owners do. Maybe if the zoo had an educational coyote exhibit, people would learn to appreciate them more. Shame the MNR would probably interfere.

I have to wonder about the beavers on the Hamilton bayfront

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; March 6th, 2009 at 04:07 PM.
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:15 PM
-

MNR = Ministry of NO response and when they do respond, they never get it right

Chico - did they kill the coyote in TO, I haven't read anything about it.
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Chris,I don't recall where I read it,probably the Toronto Star,they killed a female Coyote,they of course don't know if she was the one who killed the Chi:sad:
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

MOTD,if the Beavers are not there anymore,you can be sure MNR had something to do with itI know,I blame them for all the evil against wild-life,but I have learned from the past,what that Ministry is all about.
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:46 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Chris,I don't recall where I read it,probably the Toronto Star,they killed a female Coyote,they of course don't know if she was the one who killed the Chi:sad:
Thanks Chico, I read the Star every day, but didn't notice it, although sometimes I think they print our edition three days in advance news is so old

MNR, I have no time for them whatsoever, they don't know their arse from their head, complete waste of taxpayers money, another '1' to add to the heap.

Last edited by Chris21711; March 6th, 2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: spelling again
Old March 6th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Chris I agree 100%,at the time when they shot hundreds of Cormorants,some very distinguished Bird-people protested,together with bird-lovers like me,to absolutely no avail.
They just don't care about our meager wild-life
My husband worked for The Star for many years and they do print different editions,the early editions and the once that go outside of Toronto,so the news is often a little different.
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Meaghan Edwards

My letter to the editor got published! I've written others in the past and I'm considering applying to see if I could perhaps do some freelance writing for the paper with regards to animal issues.

Quote:
Meaghan Edwards
The Hamilton Spectator
Hamilton
(Mar 9, 2009)

Re: 'Coyote caught and killed' (March 4)

I am upset that one of the Beach Strip coyotes was destroyed. The Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) clearly needs to overhaul its policies. There was a responsible organization willing to take it into its care. For more than 20 years, Aspen Valley Wildlife Sanctuary has rehabilitated orphaned and injured wild animals. Animals that are unreleasable are given permanent residence at the sanctuary -- they lead a quality life and receive the best of care. This is not the first time the MNR has interfered with the sanctuary. In 2006, it ordered five unreleasable animals euthanized, and more by the end of that year.

Coyotes are hardly "beach bullies." They are wild animals that eke out a living in a world where people are slow to co-exist with wildlife and fast to pave their habitats.

The only bully is man.

http://www.thespec.com/article/526552
While doing my volunteer work for the SPCA today the former head of volunteering told me how much she liked it. I was so happy

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; March 9th, 2009 at 03:53 PM.
Old March 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

MOTD,that's great,so many people don't watch or read the news,they are just not aware of what is going on in our Province,especially the kill-all-wildlife MNR
Old March 9th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Way to go Mom of two dogs

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old March 10th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Mom of two dogs - I want you on my team. Well done to see someone pro-active! You are my kind of people.
Old March 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Good job, M2D.

ACO22
Old March 14th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Thanks, guys
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Stay away from the traps, little guys "Several cats have been missing"? They're supposed to be INSIDE!

Quote:
The city is setting box traps as it tries to nab and euthanize a coyote that has killed one dog and possibly injured two others in the Beaches.

City officials have spent weeks trying to drive the animal away from homes along Neville Park Boulevard, near Queen Street East and Victoria Park Boulevard.

The city became involved in the coyote hunt after learning that the animal killed a six-year-old Chihuahua in February and may have attacked two more dogs in recent weeks. Residents say several cats in the area have also gone missing.

It is against the law for city workers to move the animal to a new location in the wild so it will be euthanized once it is caught.

A representative from Coyote Canada has expressed concerns that someone in the neighbourhood may be feeding the animal, saying it probably would not stay among humans for so long otherwise.

Animal Control is telling people not to leave garbage out and to keep an eye on their pets.
http://www.cp24.com/servlet/an/local.../?hub=CP24Home

Quote:
ANIMAL CONTROL
City lays traps to nab Beaches coyote

JOSH WINGROVE

March 28, 2009

For lack of an Acme anvil or a deep canyon, the city is resorting to your basic box trap to nab and put down an urban coyote that's killed one dog and injured two others in the Beaches.

Toronto officials have spent weeks trying to drive the animal away from homes along Neville Park Boulevard in the area around Queen Street East and Victoria Park Avenue. The coyote grabbed a six-year-old Chihuahua out of a backyard last month. Two more dogs have been attacked since, prompting the city to step in.

Residents had been feeding the animal, which was becoming emboldened around humans, city officials said. City crews used air horns and paintball guns in failed attempts to make it frightened of human activity, city spokesman Rob Andrusevich said.

"The animal simply has not responded to it."

Yesterday, the city laid out traps to ensnare the animal, which officials believe could soon attack a person or another dog. Ministry of Natural Resources regulations restrict where the city can relocate the coyote - preventing officials from simply taking it to a rural area - but they allow crews to euthanize it once it's captured.

"It really is regrettable. We've made credible efforts to try and put fear back into this animal so we wouldn't take this step, but it just simply is not responding," Mr. Andrusevich said.

Box traps have been laid out in the ravine surrounding Neville Park Boulevard, in an area bounded by Kingswood Road to the west, Victoria Park Avenue to the east, Queen Street East to the south and Bracken Avenue to the north. City crews are asking people to stay away from the traps and not to go looking for the coyote.

The city expects it may take several days to trap the coyote.

Sean Maxwell, whose dog Zoe was killed, is pleased with the move, saying he believes the coyote poses a risk to his family and neighbours.

"Certainly I'm supportive of the city."
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...ional/Ontario/

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; March 28th, 2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old March 29th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Once again the MNR is sentencing an animal to death,several of the people in the ravine area want the life of this beautiful animal spared,but the MNR,wants it killedwon't allow the Coyote to be moved.
Killing one,is like stepping on an ant,there will always be more...then what:sad:
Old March 29th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Meaghan Edwards

Exactly This is all revenge based BS. People are still letting their dogs and cats loose and/or unsupervised Nevermind the coyotes, don't people remember about poisonings? Sounds bad of me, but anyone leaving pets unsupervised should be charged with feeding wild animals, in addition the leash law fines. And who's to say the coyote ate the cats? They might have been euthanized by TAS, again because stupid people don't get it.

I saw this on the news and it touched me that people are signing petitions to save the animal. I shot off an email to Miller about it, telling him to send it to the Toronto Zoo for an educational exhibit, or Aspen, instead of euthanizing it. Though I have the feeling that since they didn't allow the Hamilton coyote to be sent to Aspen, they probably won't let it be sent to the zoo or the sanctuary Stupid MNR.

Good grief, another example of the hysteria. It's just like the pit bull hysteria all over again.

Quote:
http://www.theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=1499482
Cardboard coyote frightened jogger, brought police

SHAWN JEFFORDS

The Observer

A cardboard cutout of a coyote designed to scare off Canada geese in Centennial Park proved so realistic it prompted an attempted police takedown.

City hall staff saw the animal cutouts advertised and, hoping they might help reduce goose droppings in the waterfront park, spent $60 on a pair and set them up last summer.

But after a few weeks the cutouts vanished.

“We just figured vandals took them,” said Terry McCallum, Sarnia’s director of community services. “You can’t put up any really fancy signs in the park because they usually disappear.”

But the full story has only now emerged.

A jogger out for a run early one morning came across the coyote cutouts and was so startled she ran to a nearby construction site. There she told a worker a coyote had “barked” at her and she was afraid it would give chase, McCallum said.

The worker called 911 and Sarnia police were dispatched. They arrived on the scene and quickly surrounded the coyote, only then discovering it was made of cardboard.

The police, smelling an elaborate prank, confiscated the cutouts.

“They do look pretty real,” McCallum said. “We don’t want to embarrass anyone, the police or the jogger. It’s an easy mistake to make. Maybe they look too real.”t

Sarnia Police chief Phil Nelson said hadn’t heard about the incident.

“That’s news to me,” he said, laughing. “I know some of them look pretty realistic.”

McCallum said the plans is to return the phony coyotes to Centennial Park this year to see if they actually work.

Coincidentally, Blue Water Bridge Canada said this week it intends to buy some of the $30 props to frighten off geese in parkland under the bridge.

“They might want to let the Point Edward OPP know they’re putting them out,” McCallum offered.

“Just in case.”

Last edited by Mom_Of_Two_Dogs; March 29th, 2009 at 10:15 PM.