Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 17th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Spareribs?

Have been feeding my 15pd dog Barf for about a week now ..have been feeding chicken and turkey necks ...hamberger patties ..but all of a sudden noticed no one talks about pork spareribs....can we feed this to a dog? not a lot of mention of porc?
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Senior Contributor

YOU DO NOT FEED RAW PORK, PERIOD

I know, veterinaty checks on meat is much stricter than it was (supposedly) but pork is nt, ever, to be eaten raw by any human, and I would not risk it with animals either!

Don't remember the name of the bacteria they most often have, but ... NO
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM

okey dokey....no raw porc...
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL, sorry

However, ask your butcher for a veal shoulder-bone! That's nice and big and flat-ish, should last a little while (maybe)
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Live well, laugh often

Tons of raw feeders feed pork. The problem Sarah indicated is trichinosis but is actually become extremely rare. I don't generally feed pork as I understand it is not well digested plus I'm lazy and tend to buy the pre-packaged stuff which doesn't usually come in pork.

Here are a few threads with some great raw information.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=27080

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=36865
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Doggie Wench

My dogs eat raw pork at least 1x per week. Meaty ribs, neck, and shanks. We've never had a problem. Only Penny seems to not like it so much but Lucky and Ava, they love it .
Old January 1st, 2008, 01:00 AM
Learning fast

I'm always on the hunt for new information, can I get the reference for not feeding raw pork.
I must admit I have been feeding it for some time now and not had any issues, but if you have some persuading source of information I may well rethink.
Old January 1st, 2008, 02:15 PM
Swift Tribe

i half hunted around just now but didnt turn up with anything but i believe the conclusion i came to before was freezing it for 3 weeks should take care of any parasites/bugs/germs/whatever.

-ash

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old January 1st, 2008, 05:21 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I really dont see why you must "never feed raw pork PERIOD"

It is generally a fattier meat and wouldn't be wise to base every meal around pork, but other than that I dont see what the big issue is. Obviously the fat content alone makes it more difficult to digest, but many dog food companies have started formulas with pork in them ( so far I have only seen it in the foods containing a high amount of corn as well?!?!?!)

Trichinosis is the main fear that seems to be the only arguement in the debate of weather or not to feed pork. However, now that higher standards in the pig farming and feeding have been set, Trichinosis is actually quite rare.
While yes freezing certain meats for a more prolonged time period will help to reduce the already minimal risk, for those who would like to feed pork just follow the same freezing guidelines that one would do for wild game.

Naturally wild game is of far greater risk for carrying bacteria and or parasites due to uncontrolled feeding and living habbits.
Raw bear IMO would be a more valid thing to worry about the contraction of Trich. in your raw fed pet. (And yes we have even fed bear to our dogs, although same guidelines, (bear is fattier than many other wild game you may feed) Personally to put my mind at ease we freeze such meats for 20- 30 days prior to feeding. And have had no problems with it.

Anyways here is a little fact sheet regarding Trichinosis. Perhaps you could read it and get a better understanding.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dpd/parasi...richinosis.htm

Special attention being payed to this paragraph.

Quote:
Is trichinellosis common in the United States?

Infection was once very common and usually caused by ingestion of undercooked pork. However, infection is now relatively rare. During 1997-2001, an average of 12 cases per year were reported. The number of cases has decreased because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw-meat garbage to hogs, commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products. Cases are less commonly associated with pork products and more often associated with eating raw or undercooked wild game meats.
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:01 AM
Learning fast

Thanks Erykah, believe me, I have all the fact sheets and it's still not convicting for a statement that reads "YOU DO NOT FEED RAW PORK, PERIOD" I would think that as anyone can read the information so generously displayed here, it would be sensible if someone who could come out with such a statement would at least back this up. Guess I'm DOING WRONG, PERIOD
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Either way, i'll continue to feed it occasionally, I'm not that worried about it.
Old January 26th, 2008, 05:10 PM
Chow Pei Rescue

Pork

Quote:
Originally Posted by rude View Post
okey dokey....no raw porc...
I'm sorry, but that is absolutely, positively NOT TRUE, by any stretch of the word.

Years ago, pig farmers even under the FDA rulings were allowed to feed their stock with leftovers, garbage, spoils and anything else they saw fit.

Trichinosis, also called trichinellosis, or trichiniasis can also be had from eating wild meats such as deer, beaver, bear, etc. Since a change in the feed laws, farmers are now very regulated, just like cattle farmers, and they must feed their stock with governement approved feed under every circumstance.

From 1991 to 1996, an annual average of 12 cases per year were reported in the United States. And this was from "private. none farmer" people, (for lack of a better word), eating their own stock that they fed garbage to. The number of cases has decreased because of legislation prohibiting the feeding of raw meat garbage to hogs, increased commercial and home freezing of pork, and the public awareness of the danger of eating raw or undercooked pork products. Today, one of the primary causes of trichinosis in America is the consumption of raw or undercooked wild game meats.

As with wild meats, and please remember this, if you are not sure about the parasitic contamination of pork, or any wild meats, simply freeze it for 10 days or buy frozen instead of fresh. Freezing will easily kill off any unwanted parasites.

Pork is an excellent meat for your dog. Unless your dog is allergic to it, there is no reason to avoid it.

Last edited by MerlinsHope; January 26th, 2008 at 05:13 PM.