Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old October 13th, 2004, 01:40 AM

I was walking my sister in laws lab/shep X through a school yard (on leash), when this mix breed ran up barking and growling. I tried to calmly get Shylo's attention and walk away, but the dog started jumping on her, nipping her. I was yelling at the dog, trying to dominate it and push it away, but it wouldn't stop! I was horrified! The owner ran up and actually told ME to calm down that I was making his dog attack Shylo! There was only defense from Shylo, she is NOT an agressive dog. His dog was off leash, his dog attacked her and HE blamed ME! Man, I was so pissed. I got her back home and I told them what happened. My brother in law new exactly who I was talking about too!

When I was about ten I was walking my foster mom's poodle mix (again on a leash) when a german sheppard ran up and picked Scruffy up and started shaking him in it's mouth! Keep in mind, I was a kid...but I pried the dog's mouth open, he dropped Scruffy and I think someone else came along and chased the loose dog off. Scruffy was okay, but seemed a little different after that attack.
Old October 13th, 2004, 02:19 AM
banned user

Not to get off-topic, but we don't have off-leash parks around here. Although, even if we did, I would not bring my dogs to them. Not only would I worry about irresponsible owners/dog fights, but I'd have no idea about the health of the dogs that mine were coming into contact with. I know mine are up to date on all vaccinations, but I still wouldn't want to risk them catching anything from another dog, despite the chances being slim.

Chloe has never been attacked.
Raj has been attacked once, and that was the end of the attacker.
Old October 13th, 2004, 10:34 AM
Senior Contributor

The only thing I can equate with an off-leash park is the beach. Seems like all dogs love to run and play on the sand and I've never seen a dog fight. I keep Den-Den pretty close to me though until I can read the body language of the other dogs. They all get so goofy!
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

I an greatful that I have nothing to contribute to this thread. Since bringing Briggs home i have always had a slight concern about "what ifs". So far we have been very lucky that we have not had any confrontations that have lead to a full on fight. I try to believe that I can sense when a dog is uncomfortable and when one is being aggressive. Though you can never be certain, it's better to be safe than sorry.

I believe that off leash parks are a great way to exercise your dog. Open area fenced off - what could be better than that!!! BUT I have taken Briggs to the park on numerous occassions from the day we brought her home in Dec. to approximately this past summer. Granted it's only about 6 months, but I was amazed my what I saw go on there. People with blantant disregard for their dogs having to be spayed or neutered, picking up poop, yelling and hitting their animals, no sense of responsibility when their dog attacks another, people bringing KNOWN aggressive dogs to the park. That was MORE than enough for me.
If someone came into that park with a yappy, bossy, aggressive Lasa Apso (No offence, just an example), and it felt like picking a fit with my laid back, friendly, obedient and wonderful pit bull - that would be the end of my dog if she was to kill that little one during a fight that it instigated. No questions about it. Because of her breed, she faces unfair discrimination. It's not fair to place her in that danger, nor should she suffer for human ignorance.
Old October 13th, 2004, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with you wholeheartedly Sammie I run into the same discrimination because I own a giant breed and they are always to blame even when he wont even growl at another dog. But just because he is big he is blamed for anyfight even when he has been 10 ft away they somehow try to blame him. Thank goodness his mom takes no crap from anybody about her baby
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I was walking my Great Dane one day, and a black lab attacked him. I thought it was weird, being the lab weight 100 pounds less than my dog. I was really mad, because my dane wasn't a fighter, and was such a baby, that he was pretty much taking it. The fight only lasted a a minute or two, the owner came our right away and took his dog. He led us to a pond where our dog could rest awhile. The owner was a friend of ours, he lived on a farm and his lab was his farm dog that he had let out to round up the cattle, so we kinda just put it aside. If my dog was bleeding or injured, it would have been a bit different. The other owner was concerned about my dog and did look him over, and said that he would help with vet bills if any were needed though.
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:51 PM
lilpaws

Don't jump in!

I haven't had too much trouble at the off leash parks (again in Calgary). The occasional mild scruff but as someone said earlier dogs communicate too. They are trying to lay down their heirarchy. Luckily, my dogs have never been in a serious one. On a funny note, years ago I learned not to jump in the middle of a dog fight. My sister's Sheltie was attacked by a ****er Spaniel and I was really upset, jumped in and was bit on the leg. My sister being a nurse, made me pull my pants down right there in the park to show her. No puncture, just embarrased. I like some of the suggestions of distraction... much easier than a wound.
Old October 13th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

CyberKitten

Donna Marie,

I had a similar experience to yours when I was walking my brother's chocolate lab. He is a kind and gentle dog, a big baby literally and this mixed breed terrier type came up and started barking and baring his teeth. I am not afraid of large dogs (in my experience, the little ones seem to like to bark more and I grew up with a fox terrier who rarely barked in her life and she was born across the street so came to us at a very young age!). Grady looked up at me as if to ask what to do and I walked away but the dog kept attacking him. Alas, the owner yelled at me for making his dog angry. Hmmmmph!!

We were just walking (and Grady was on a leash) and enjoying the view. Well, I liked the view, Grady liked to sniff every plant in site and investigate. <g>

Unfortunately, there are irresponsible owners.
Old October 26th, 2004, 10:59 AM

My little female Schnauzer (who has now gone to Rainbow Farm due to old age) was attacked on 3 separate occasions by a black Great Dane that lived long our road (who thankfully is no longer there). Twice when both were walking on leash and once a nasty scenario when the Dane was walking off leash on the frozen river in front of our place, heard my dog bark at him, which sent him flying through our yard and up onto our deck. Got my dog in a strangle hold. It happened so suddenly - it was about to kill my poor thing, and when I tried to intervene, I got bitten on the leg. Anyway, I pressed charges and the guy was made to pay for quite expensive vet bills. She did survive (me too!) but never trusted big black dogs again.
Old October 26th, 2004, 01:03 PM
owned by Tucker

I also had a small taco bell dog come running up after my 120lb dog one time, it snarled and ran up to us, but when it got closer I think it relized it had bitten off more than it could chew and ran away..... I find that a lot of smaller dogs think that they have to prove themselves to large dogs. My dog use to just look at them out of the corner of his eye and keep walking, he never went after another dog in his nine+ years. I was walking my border collie pup the other day and the same thing a small dog comes snarling into his face, and Tucker loves everyone. I glad it didn't spook him though as I don't want him afaid of walking down the street and being attacked. He has been great with all the other dogs he meets from a Blood hound to Scottish terriers. I think when dogs arn't let to meet other dogs, or owners get parinoid that their little baby is going to get hurt, is when the problems start. All dogs should be socialized to many different situations including other dogs of all sizes, hopefully there wouldn't be so many problems.
Old October 26th, 2004, 02:49 PM

A few, it's funny, but I never really thought it was so many til writing it down. The first time, my GSD was attacked, he was a wee one, and a pair of Jack Russel Terriers decided they wanted to eat him. However my friend's mutant Sheltie defended him. My GSD was attacked as a puppy by a Bullmastiff. It was terrifying, the dog's walker stated that the dog had been attacked by a GSD as a puppy and therefore hated all GSDs. I told them that something was wrong with a dog that would attack a puppy. Later I learned that the Bullmastiff was owned by one of the vets at our clinic and I gave him an earful.

When my GSD was an adult and full of pee and vinegar, he was attacked by a Rottweiler/Bullmastiff mix. However my GSD decided he was a ninja and kept jumping over the dog. It was scary at the time, but in retrospect it was fairly funny.

He was attacked by another GSD, it was really dirty too. My dog was chasing a ball, and this dog came from behind and took a chunk out of his rear. My guy didn't even see it coming.

The last time he was attacked, he was about 5 and a pair of Great Danes went after him. I grabbed the dogs, the owner yelled at me because one was a show dog and had a weak ear. It gave me quite a surprise to think that I could hold off two large dogs. It gave my dog a chance to get up and walk away.

There have over the years been snapping and snarling at my dog, but nothing I was too concerned about.

My Newfoundland was attacked by a GSD once, my GSD who normally whales on my Newf did not like the ideal of another dog going after him. He chased the dog off and fortunately, there was only hair lost.

The one attack that actually drew blood on my Newfoundland came from a Toy Manchester Terrier, the owners thought it was cute! They didn't think it was terribly cute when I presented them with a vet bill the next time I saw them, and a notice from Animal Control. My Newfoundland never retaliated, he just stood there with this little sob hanging off his face.

And I guess last but not least, my two got into a fight once. The Newfoundland had been cheeky all week to the dominant GSD and finally the GSD had enough and they went at it. I let them sort it out so long as there was no bloodshed and they did and they haven't fought since. The Newf did get too close to the GSDs dinner once and got nailed on the nose. He hasn't done it since. He can't defend his way out of a paper bag, he's a helpless sweetie, so I'm always careful around other dogs, the only time we go to an offlead park is when I take them swimming since all the incidents I mentioned one or both dogs were off leash.
Old November 1st, 2004, 08:58 AM

My pit bull was attacked by a lab. He was about seven months of age, being walked down the street when the lab came out of its yard. Ozzie lunged forward in a playbow, but I guess he seemed aggressive to the lab who bit him on the head. Fortunately, my husband scared the attacker off with some yells and a wave.

When I was walking both the staffie and the sheltie, we were attacked by another loose dog (small, black, looked like a ****-a-Poo but who knows?) that I scared off by jumping between it and my dogs. It hit my shin, teeth bared, then backed off as I yelled at it and stomped my foot just in front of its face, repeatedly.

Back when I was younger, my old border collie was attacked in his own yard by a wandering stray (Lab/GSD cross by the looks of it). I was watering the flowers so I turned the spray on them but it wasn't strong enough to break off the attack, so I had to whack him with the sprayer as I pulled him off. Once he fully disengaged I sprayed him until he ran off.

Of course, I haven't even mentioned the time that a tabby cat decided to attack me, my dogs and my two little girls on a walk. . . .
Old November 2nd, 2004, 07:20 PM

attached by a lab

Our 12 year old Staff was attached by a Lab last week he was on a leash but the lab was not. The worst part about this is that it would never make the news and I actually wouldn't want it too but if it was the other way around I'm sure the media would have no problem covering the story.
Old November 4th, 2004, 12:38 PM

Attacked at an off leash park!

My dog was attacked at an off leash park .

My two small breed dogs were sprinting in circles with another friendly small breed dog. There was a man walking his rottiXpitbull and as my dog passed, the cross caught him and chomped on his chest and leg and wouldn't let go (((lock jaw))) My dog was squealing to no end and my other dog bolted. The owner of the third owner quickly picked up his dog. In the midst of the attack, my husband and I had to chase our one dog and fight the cross in order to have our other one released. My husband straddled the cross and struggled with the beast. At this time the owner was just standing there watching this all take place. We were finally able to have our dog released and I carried him in my arms battered, bleeding and still squealing. I ran to take him to the pet hospital and my husband stayed to collect this man's information. He tried to run off but that goodness there were so many witnesses who prevented him from getting anywhere. We reported it to the local officials. Unfortunately, we were notified that we could not press charges. There's no law protecting our fur babies. Only laws protecting us. Where's the justice?

We found out the background of the rottiXpitbull, it was adopted that very day and without knowing the dogs temperment, the new owner walked him freely on a very public sea wall.

It was the worst way to learn but we'll never frequent an off leash park again! This was the worst day of our lives...please don't make the same error we did...
Old November 26th, 2004, 01:48 PM

Dog Parks Are Great

Oh my. I am terribly shocked to see that some dog owners feel the way they do about dog parks . I love my two dogs so much and would never think of depriving them from their beloved park. What kind of dog owner would say that dog parks are bad? Well, obviously these dog owners have had a bad experience at these places. Or perhaps these owners do not understand canine behavior. There are wonderful sites on the internet on dog park etiquette, look them up! when a dog growls at another dog at one of these parks it does not mean that they are showing aggression necessarily, it could be a variety of reasons.
I go to the local dog park daily with my two dogs. I have seen many dog owners pull their dogs away from especially my Saint Bernard just because of his sheer size. I find it amusing and insulting all at the same time. Amusing because my big boy is one of the most gentle dogs that you will ever meet, and insulting because these are supposed dog lovers discriminating against size. Also, many of the regular dogs at the park are pitbulls, amstaffs, and valleybulls. These dogs are wonderful creatures and show no sign of viscious killing tendencies.
Yes, there is the odd scrap here or there, but the thing about going to a dog park is to be educated about the behavior that your dog will display. This education will prevent most problems and create a more peaceful park environment. At my park there are pamphlets on park ettiquette, and most people adhere to the information provided. The usual problems occur with uneducated owners. Instead of bad talking dog parks help your local park be more informed. If not for yourself do it for your dog.
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:36 PM

Pitbulls Attacked

I'm the proud mother of 2 female Red-Nosed Pit-bulls, who have on numerous occasions been harrassed or mildly bitten by other Dogs of all breeds in the off-leash dog park. Funny thing, we don't go there anymore since Bryant started opening his big uneducated mouth, but my babies never once fought back, or showed teeth, they just ran to Mommy for protection. I don't doubt what they could do in every situation, but they both know better. Thank-fully, no one has ever been hurt. Just this morning I had an intact golden lab charge them while we were passing by his house for our morning walk. The lab was off leash on its own property. I had no choice but to wedge myself between them and scream. The owner came outside, and I obviously went ballistic, which I later apologized for. But, honestly, should something have happen, I, and only I, would have lost my children. :sad:
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:39 PM

dog parks.

Who said not going to a dog park is depriving your dog? I don't know where everyone is from, but I live in the Toronto area, I have 1 dog park close by, and it is nothing but a breeding ground for Kennel Cough, Parasites and Disease . If your dog park is any better all the power to you. But, even I don't take my kids anymore. I don't deprieve them either, I may at times have to break the law in a secluded area (soccor field, tennis court) But, I see to it that they have more then enough excercise.
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Allformydogs couple of questions what type of dogs do you have and where do you live?
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=doggab]My dog was attacked at an off leash park .

There was a man walking his rottiXpitbull and as my dog passed, the cross caught him and chomped on his chest and leg and wouldn't let go (((lock jaw))) [QUOTE]

I hope you don't think because it was a rotti pitt mix that it had lock jaw. That is a myth! No such thing as lock jaw. Pits, rotties have the same mouth as your dogs do. Just more powerful/
Old November 26th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

When Akeija and I used to go for long walks( when the mother-in-law came over) I used to cut through a church yard. One day I was walking Akeija, 2 large dogs came out of no where after us. Akeija obeyed her command to lie down and i got between her and the other dogs. I screamed at them and called them everything under the sun. I think I tought the priest a few new words. Anyway the priest let us into the church and he called my husband to come and get us. My husband belonged to that church. After that I used to go walking with Akeija and a baseball bat. Never had a problem with the dogs after that because I told their owners if they came after us again, the dogs were going to get a serious head ache. Don't get me wrong I would never intentionally harm any animal but in case of attack well, you gotta do what you gotta do. Calling the police here was not an option because they at that time did not consider loose dogs a threat to the public.
Old December 9th, 2004, 11:51 AM

re.

walking my 3 year old p/ollie through the park and this huge dog runs up and starts tearing the hell out of him...couldint do anything, the dog had already bitten me, so i just called for help and the owner had him destroyed.
Old December 9th, 2004, 08:35 PM

Quote:
I hope you don't think because it was a rotti pitt mix that it had lock jaw. That is a myth! No such thing as lock jaw. Pits, rotties have the same mouth as your dogs do. Just more powerful/
Regardless, that dog could not, would not, budge. So maybe it is a myth but I experienced it first hand. That is the most common description I can provide.

With regards to the other comment, there are many other ways to occupy your dog ie. walks on trails, beaches, even around the block. I'm not saying that you should eliminate a good game of fetch, what I'm saying is that you should be on guard and weary if you decide to do so in any park. My dogs are content rough housing inside our home and in our backyard and I firmly believe they are safer in doing so. I was strictly sharing my experience at an off leash park, please don't get that confused with depriving my dogs. Sometimes experience is more than education. Like I said before, I have learned that the hard way.
Old December 23rd, 2004, 10:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Also learned the hard way

We used to go to a dog park for about a year and my Rhodesian mix used to play hard with other large dogs - very hard. He learned how to bull doze from a boxer. He was also very sweet to the smaller dogs and generally just sniffed them and kept moving. He also loved puppies and had to see any new one that arrived. His favourite game was to be chased through the long grass sometimes by as many as six dogs. Towards the end he started getting attacked on his chase game by the newly arrived Sheep dogs. To the point that he would come home with chunks of hair missing off his butt. They would fly pass the pack to nip at his butt. He didn't become a biter but he would bull doze another dog into the ground if they crossed the line and of course always seemed like the aggressor to the owner of the innocent biters. It just wasn't worth it anymore so we stopped going to the dog park.

Instead we walk at the canal and he just ignored the other dogs as he really prefers the company of humans and his ball or stick. He is toy obsessive around strange dogs and isn't allowed toys or sticks around any dog other than his little brother. Recently minding our own business an unleashed Shepherd came down and nipped at him as he came out of the water and then ran off. As he is toy obsessive and was just nipped I was concerned so I threw his ball back in as the owner arrived hoping that he would leash her. Instead of leashing his dog he explained she does that and really just needs her butt kicked. My dog came back out and was nipped again, I threw the ball back in and the owner apologized again. I explained that mine was toy obsessive so please take her away or leash her. The last time my guy came out of the water I went to leash him and he was nipped again - before I could shorten up his leash the Shepherd was driven into the ground and I pulled my snarling dog off - there was no biting but his dog just had her butt kicked. I told my dog to sit and of course he did. As far as he was concerned it was over. If this is what you wanted sir you got it but maybe there is something you didn't know.

My dog is now defensive around ALL other dogs at the canal and although I leash him whenever we pass other dogs he moves as far away from them as his leash allows. I now let my submissive Pointer out on his leash to draw the attention away from the now nervous large dog. The Collie owner who witnessed the confrontation from afar gives us dirty looks now. Can you please explain to her that this is what you wanted? May I suggest that instead of looking for some other dog to kick your dogs butt you instead leash her around other dogs and talk to a trainer. Why am I so upset with what the Collie owner may think...because a Rhodesian mix can be confused by the uninformed.....with a pit bull. My apologies to the pit owners.
Old April 30th, 2007, 03:52 PM

Our little malti-poo was attacked by two Rottweiler's last Sunday and the authorities don't want to do anything about it. The attack happened in our yard and my two year old was 25 feet away. My husband and I truly believe that if Conan wasn't in front of our little girl it would have been her. We just moved into the neighbourhood and all the neighbours we talked to tell us the same thing. Only one person around there has two Rottweilers. In fact those Rottweilers have 12 marks against them for escaping. Something needs to be done with our laws in Canada about these dogs. I agree that it is 90% ownership responsiblity and 10% the animal itself. But with 12 marks against the dogs the SPCA should do a lot more than say "Sorry to hear that"
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Maltipoo,this thread is 3 years old,maybe you should start your own...hope your little dog was ok
Old April 30th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Kitty Consort

Welcome to the site, malti-poo. I am very sorry to hear of this frightening and upsetting experience with your little dog. :sad: Did yours suffer any injuries?

As for the laws pertaining to "these" dogs"...no breed should be categorized or penalized en masse.:sad:
But for the specific dogs that attacked yours.. I would certainly suggest complaining further to the SPCA, as it appears these two Rotties are not being kept under proper care and control, and have a previous history of escapes Perhaps you could enlist the help of your neighbours with this, as they also sound very concerned.
I wish you good luck with this.

btw..this thread is from 2004.... very old. You might want to start a new one to the forum.
Old April 30th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I gotz 2 babies now!

I live in Calgary and I go to one of the largest off leash parks in the city twice a week, I love it, Dazy loves it, I couldn't imagine not taking her there? The owners all seem invovled and watchful. There are dogs who don't like each other which can be expected, they just sniff and move on and owners who wear fancy clothes and carry their dogs while in the park. Dazy jumped on one guy who was carrying a toy breed and his white jeans got dirty?? White jean? Come on!!! Put on some dog park clothes and put your dog down!

Dazy was attached only once, if you can call it that, just one huge snap at her face and a loud bark after, from my friends doby who resource gaurds toys, no warning, no signs that he was about to lose it - he just lunged at her and her whole tiny head was in his mouth, it actually scarred her under the eye and by her ear. They have played several times since but I am jumpy when they are together, I pick up any and all toys before they arrive. I waited 4 weeks before they met again after the lunge, she was as happy as ever to see him.

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old May 1st, 2007, 09:32 AM

FOr Odie:

He was attacked by ****zhu, a JRT, a boxer, a friends rotti, a stray rotti, a golden retreiver and a miniature poodle...Odie only defended himself against the boxer and my friends rotti...

In the other dogs defence...most times...he stole a toy from them...he loves to play keep away :P

For Maggie...she was never really attacked per say...but she came to Odie's rescue with the stray rotti...my friends rotti, and the boxer...she thinks she's his mom :P

Odie is generally EXTREMLY good with other dogs...to the point where he meets a new dog...he walks up to them and turns around and sticks his tail...he waits about a minute for the other dog to get a good whif...then it's play time :P

Magiie on the other hand is not as well socialised, my breeder really didn't do a good job of that at all...so some dogs, she gets along with but most she just kinda watches them...
Staffies-the king of breeds-a work horse-a cuddly licking machine-found in the top ten breeds for kids by the southhampton U-so comitted to their people they are willing to do anything to please them...the only breed for me
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:41 PM

Wink

I am new to forums. I am still in a little shock over the incident.

Thank you Shamrock and chico2 for pointing out my error.

Shamrock - the neighbuors are on board. We all agree that the dogs should be sent to a rehabilitation and not brought back to their owner but be adopted out separately. My doggy has had 2 surgeries with another to come.
Old May 1st, 2007, 05:27 PM
Kitty Consort

malti-poo, I'm so sorry to hear this,:sad: and send best wishes for your little dog's complete recovery.
Under these circumstances, I feel the authorities should certainly take some definitive action with the dogs owners. They most definitely need to be secured at least, this clearly could happen again.:sad:

Good luck to you, and I hope their owners are at least assumng financial responsibility for their dog's actions.