Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 7th, 2004, 08:43 PM

Yes, I do tend to believe that not all people are as perfect and thoughtful as you evidentally are. I thought that it would be nice to have someone answer her question, for a change, and try to be understanding instead of insulting, harrassing, degrading, denegrading, and throwing stones at the woman (or man) for being less wise than all of you are. How you people can feel justified in demeaning this person for something she/he has obviously thought better of now is beyond my comprehension. There are ways to phrase things that inform an uneducated person, rather than attacking. Take your soap boxes out onto the streets where the really uncaring animal abusers are. That type of person would never dream of looking at a site like this. The purpose of this site is to help eachother out, not to make ourselves feel better by putting everyone else down.
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
The purpose of this site is to help eachother out, not to make ourselves feel better by putting everyone else down.
Do you think we feel better thinking of the extra puppies that this person will make?
Old April 7th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
How you people can feel justified in demeaning this person for something she/he has obviously thought better of now is beyond my comprehension.
Well, we have here an adult of at least normal intelligence, who deliberately bred a stray and probably mixed breed dog ONLY because "People will pay hundreds of dollars for them."

Can't get much more unethical than that, can you?

I just got a call from someone who did the same thing. She now has 9 puppies and guess who is being asked to find them homes?

So, yeah - I get a little riled up over this ignorant and irresponsible behavior that is NOT fueled by a love of puppies, but by greed for "hundreds of dollars."
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:20 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I may be new here but I am left shaking my head in wonder!?!?

Again I am brain boggled..
Old April 7th, 2004, 10:55 PM

Perhaps my view of this situation differs from yours because of the neighborhood in which I live. My neighbors are from an ethnic background that believes that each and every member of the family needs to have a dog who is expendable. When the dog dies they believe that the dog was protecting the owner from some unseen force that was threatening said owner. Yes, they really believe that! I live in a rural area and most of my neighbors let their dogs run free (mine are fenced in). When Canine Parvo Virus hit the neighborhood most people thought I was crazy to suggest that they should make sure that their dogs were vaccinated (mine are). If one or more of their dogs died they just picked up more puppies from one of the many people who give them away in the parking lot of a local department store.

These people, for the most part, don't provide proper nutrician for their dogs, either. They give them whatever is left over from the dinner table when the humans are finished eating. One of my ex-neighbors (I'm very glad that she's gone) fed her dog nothing but corn flakes! Yes, the breakfast cereal. She also kept him on a rope of no more than 15 feet, when he didn't have it tangled in something. Her children kicked him and hit him with sticks. When his hair fell out she decided she didn't want him anymore and just let him go. Thank goodness she didn't follow the tradition and she only had the one dog! The dog made it's way to my house. I fed and cared for him. He was very loving and wanted to please me more than anything else. Once the dog grew his hair back in and was healthy again the neighbor took the dog back and moved.

Another dog showed up at my house almost unable to stand. He was skin and bones, his legs shook, and someone had chopped off his tail - when he was an adult! It took months for him to trust me but he ended up being the best dog I have ever known.

You are probably wondering why I don't call the authorities and report these atrocities. The county animal control has been called and drives through the area about twice a week. The dogs running loose hide. The few who are caught are just replaced with other puppies. The woman who owned the "corn flake dog" was given a ticket! Not a fine, not a reprimand, just a ticket!

This is the kind of person I see every day: at the mailbox, at the dumpster, as I drive down the road. In comparison to this I have not seen anything on this site that I would call horrendous. The person who started this thread is ignorant, definitely; thoughtless and irresponsible, I would agree with that; but not one of the monsters I live near. At least he/she cared enough to realize that he/she needed advice.
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:13 AM

Alright CJ, I agree with some of what your saying. But this person supposedly takes in rescue dogs? Now if she truly does that, why on earth would she be breeding to add more to the world.
I'm sorry L.R., Luba,LavendarRott, and Carina were right.
She is not reliable in what she was saying.
However from your latest post, its people like you who deserve credit. Feeding your neighbors dogs!! If only more people were that considerate!
I don't think any of us here think we're perfect! Thoughtful and considerate, yes I guess we are. Why is that such a bad thing to be?
And Cj I guess your thoughtful and considerate as well
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:39 AM
Senior Contributor

There was a time since getting to know a few"rescue-chi's"that I wanted to get one,phoned around to "reputable"breeders and the tea-cup chi's sold for anywhere between $1.500-$2.500,the regular sized Chi's $1.000-$1.500.
Luckily with my cats,I decided not to
This"Lady"though seems to want to make a quick buck,to pay for a phone-bill,all the wrong reasons for putting a little Chi through a pregnancy
I agree sometimes people here,involved in rescue and fostering get a little harsh,but they see the ugly side of humanity by caring for abandonned and abused animals.
We all here love and care for animals some in a big way and others,like me,in a smaller way and this Forum is concerned about the animals,not neccesarily an irresponsible owners feelings..hence the harsh replies.
Old April 8th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
believes that each and every member of the family needs to have a dog who is expendable.
Unfortunutly, not all people around the world think this, and that is why we need animal shelters. Breeding will only make the problem worse, at about a rate of five at a time if not more.
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

CJ Modisette - I'm sorry you live in an area of brutal and ignorant people who abuse animals. However, that doesn't mean that if someone comes here saying they are going to do something extremely stupid and unethical that we'll say, "Well, lots of people abuse animals worse, so what you're doing is o.k.!"

In the year 2004 there is NO excuse to be so ignorant of the slaughter of unwanted animals in every shelter across the continent.

I have a beautiful purebred dog, whose puppies could have sold for "hundreds of dollars." But I, like most of the other people here won't do that EVER, because we don't want to add to that slaughter for our own selfish, greedy or dumb reasons.

The original poster (who is long gone) is literate enough to use a computer and should be literate enough to know there is a serious problem. And someone who is breeding mutts to peddle for bucks is pretty really scraping the bottom of the barrel.
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:23 AM
Senior Contributor

C J...The breeding was done deliberately,didn't research ANYTHING about this breed.Didn't even know the gestation of this breed.Or health problems.And puppies are a high demand in California.

All this for a phone bill?That is just pathetic.

Also,if she IS a rescue,why the heck would she want to breed?There is a reason they are called RESCUES.

We have every right to be harsh and even rude with this person.

This is not a child.This is a person who has a 21 year old daughter.

Also,if she does rescue,then she would be educated already.Don't you think?

CJ,your views of this situation are definately different then ours.

To me it seems like you are saying what this person is doing is ok.

As for the rest of us,we don't think it is.

Hmmmmm,I was just thinking something.Maybe I shouldn't have had Yukon and Tron fixed.This way I could have used them for stud to pay my bills.I wonder if I can ger their neuter reversed...We all know that GSD's are in high demand here...
Old April 8th, 2004, 10:42 AM

LuckyRescue and Mona B, I was not trying to say what the person did was okay, I was trying to put some perspective on the situation. I did say he/she was ignorant, irresponsible, and thoughtless.

It definitely is not okay to breed stray animals for any reason, especially to pay bills. I did not get the feeling that the person was using the dogs to pay bills, that would be stupid since the cost of vet bills for puppies is too high to make any real profit. I thought that person was using the phone bill as a reason for not seeing a vet. No matter what he/she was saying, it is not okay to breed the stray Chihuahua. He/she is contributing to a problem that just goes on and on. Most of the puppies will end up being tortured daily like the dogs I see in my neighborhood.

The point I was originally trying to make is that the person was trying to get educated, a bit late, but at least open to information. As you said, LuckyRescue, this person is long gone from this website, probably because of all the verbal hiney-chewing he/she received. Had the problem been addressed in a more civil manner the point could have been made that he/she was contributing to a major problem without alienating that person in the process. That person would then feel open to suggestions from the many experts on this site and learn what should have been done and can be done in the future.

The attack on the person with the original question likely only caused him/her to shut out any valuable education he/she might have received now or in the future. Truely, this person should have known better. But we all do things that we should have known better than to do. This situation could have been handled in such a way as to turn the person into a true animal rescue worker, not just one in name only.

We do have different perspectives on this point. You see the result of abuse when you get the animal to your shelter and have the challenge of bringing life and hope back into it's eyes, and then find a good home for it. I see the abuse on a daily basis and am powerless to do anything about it.

Perhaps we can find a way to work together.
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:22 PM
Senior Contributor

I DO agree - education is desperately needed. I did attempt to do that at the beginning of this thread, but as more facts came out the situation got worse and worse.

The ulitimate was this person finally trying to justify what she did by blaming the neighbour's dog for impregnating hers. She must be lying, because originally she said the breeding was "deliberate" Why should we waste time trying to educate someone who lies?

She also has a history of backyard breeding dogs,as you will see if you read all her posts.

In fact, what she might say is: "Yes, I know how many dogs die in shelters and are dumped, abused and unwanted. But I am going to add to this problem by breeding a stray dog and hoping I can make a couple bucks." At least that would be honest.

Even though her feelings may have been hurt and she left, anyone else contemplating doing what she did might read all the arguments against it on this thread and hopefully change their minds.

Some people are willing to listen to reason, but others will NOT take responsibility for their actions or admit to fault and need a clout with a 2 x 4. JMO
Old April 8th, 2004, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

And we do NOT tolerate BYB's in any way shape or form.

She bred 2 dobies.They were not show dogs.I doubt that they were even OVC or OFA tested.

What people will do for money.

As for what LR just said,I totally agree 200%
Old April 8th, 2004, 01:57 PM

wingding had here puppies january 10 in my bed without a hitch. i woke up in time to open the sacs of each puppy since she had not done it her self. she was a very good mother. even played with them when they got older. they have all there shots wormed and are taken to the vet just like a child. they are in very good homes and i see them all the time. and they send me pictures. one went to a 74 year old man who had lost his wife rcently. he loves his puppy takes his puppy every where with him and he says he is the smartist dog he has ever had. he talks of the puppy all the time telling stories of what it did and so forth so i am happy for them. and have no regrets. by the way it was him who told me the gestation period. and said it is the same as cats which i had not known.
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:11 PM

by the way i gave one puppy away the other i sold for $100.00. so i spent more then what i made. everyone seems to want to say that i am looking to make money. this is far from the truth.
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:17 PM

by the way i gave one puppy away the other i sold for $100.00. so i spent more then what i made. everyone seems to want to say that i am looking to make money. this is far from the truth.
Old April 8th, 2004, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad everyone is healthy.

So now that you see there are no big bucks to be made from breeding strays, did you get your girl spayed?
Old April 9th, 2004, 10:10 AM

Well..... It looks like I owe everyone an apology. I'm big enough to admit when I'm wrong, and I was wrong with this one.

My faith in the goodness of the human soul and educatability of people searching for help certainly was not rewarded in this case.

I sure hope I'm right next time, for the sake of all our four-footed friends.
Old April 9th, 2004, 12:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I sure hope I'm right next time, for the sake of all our four-footed friends.
I for one certainly hope you are too! I would love to be wrong as well.
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:10 PM

Still boggles my mind.

I hope the mom was spayed.

( I was expecting a full dystocia....but of course we would never hear about that!)
Old April 9th, 2004, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

And people wonder why we are harsh at times.

It's hard to educate people when they don't want to listen or hear the advise we offer.

On another post,someone has blown off when no one said anything wrong.

I try to help and advise to the best of my knowledge.But then at times I wonder why bother when some get so defensive as to what is said.

C J apology accepted..
Old April 9th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I wonder why bother when some get so defensive as to what is said.
Personally, I think some people feel guilty over what they are doing to their pets, and that guilt comes out as hostility and anger at anyone who makes them face it.
Old April 9th, 2004, 03:55 PM

I am taking the high road. I just deleted a lengthy post...

I get riled also when some people just do not "get it".
Old April 10th, 2004, 11:15 AM

Talking living in reality

everyone who knows me will tell you that i care about animals and care for animals, theirs and alike more then just about anyone they know. there is not anyone that knows me that would not agree. with that and knowing the truth in my heart is enough for me. now you must excuse me because i have more imortant things to tend to then arguing such sensless acusations. from people who just do not seem to have anything else better to do.
Old April 10th, 2004, 12:32 PM

Talking

that otta get ya all going. lol.
Old April 10th, 2004, 01:09 PM
Senior Contributor

So did you get that mixed breed bitch spayed yet?

Quote:
now you must excuse me because i have more imortant things to tend to then arguing such sensless acusations.
Really? like what?
Old April 10th, 2004, 03:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Meow,meow,Lucky
Old April 10th, 2004, 04:08 PM
banned user

stra8up3:

You are a selfish, irresponsible person. you think your something special right now..but wait till some of those pups end up in the h/s. You are one of the people who should be fined for adding to the populations in the H/S!
Old April 10th, 2004, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Can you say TROLL.......
Old April 10th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by amaruq
stra8up3:

You are a selfish, irresponsible person. you think your something special right now..but wait till some of those pups end up in the h/s. You are one of the people who should be fined for adding to the populations in the H/S!

HIGH FIVES!

Great post but I believe it falls on deaf ears...and the sight is clouded by dollar signs...

*sigh*