Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 23rd, 2013, 02:39 PM

Question Sensible cat shelving/walkways layout?

Anyone here have any personal experience with putting up cat shelves and walkways? I'm not referring to the elaborate ones you see online (some of them are just crazy), but a more sensible layout I can envision putting up in my own space.

Properly executed, it seems like a good idea in principle to take advantage of unused vertical space: more areas for cats to play, leaving precious floor space free for humans to use

One concern I have is if I ever decide to move and sell my home, will potential buyers think it's weird, possibly driving down the value of my house.

Last edited by tezster; May 23rd, 2013 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:05 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Here is a site with some cool ideas...I would just google it and see what you find! lots of neat ideas out there!

http://pinterest.com/imacdragonfly/c...cubes-circles/
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Here is a site with some cool ideas...I would just google it and see what you find! lots of neat ideas out there!

http://pinterest.com/imacdragonfly/c...cubes-circles/
I like the Cat Library , what a neat idea . And it's safe looking for cats too. My daughter's cat hurt his hind legs and it could had happen by falling or jumping off his climbing tree .
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:55 PM

Thanks for the link! I'll probably end up doing an 'IKEA hack' similar to the one pictured here. My tentative plan is to create a continuous catwalk that wraps around two or three sides of a room. The challenge I have with my room(s) is limited wall space to put the climbing platforms leading up to the walkway.

The nice thing is, IKEA shelving is relatively inexpensive (SO glad there's one not too far from me). Need to start thinking about how I can make it work.
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Gosh, those are some really attractive ideas. We have built cat sized snoozing shelves at a couple of window ledges, as well as real cat trees. From real trees, which garner some nice comments. I should say the OH did.

In two cases in our house I've taken steps to prevent climbing on certain shelves. One is above my computer monitor. When it was the big old square box type monitor Ginger used it to launch herself up to a shelf above and landed on it on her way down. She set off some pretty alarming rocking and rolling. Another place we've thwarted them is the shelf on which rest two lovely and expensive duck decoys.

Access to the top of three linked tall book shelves and from there to the top of a TV tower storage thing we've left to them, only modifying for the safety of some pottery we used to have up there. They love to sleep on top of that tower and look down on us.
Old June 2nd, 2013, 08:27 PM

I went ahead and did it! I picked up shelving from IKEA and went through with my 'catwalk' project this weekend

Newton, being the adventurous kitten that he is, immediately started exploring the new territory - although I had to help him out a little bit to figure out the sequence of which platforms to jump to (I'm sure he would've been fine on his own, but I was a bit impatient). His mom Newt hasn't tried it out yet - it sometimes takes her awhile to try new things.

Here he is lounging in his new spot, and playing hide and seek with his favourite toy mouse.

I put non-slip tape on the shelving, making sure to put lots on the climbing platforms leading to the top shelves.

Last edited by tezster; June 2nd, 2013 at 08:29 PM. Reason: added photo
Old June 3rd, 2013, 05:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's awesome, tezster!! And way to go, Newton!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 3rd, 2013, 07:50 PM

Hi tezster:

That shelf system has made a great catwalk. Newton and Newt should get a lot of enjoyment out of it. I like the location of the new cat condo in front of the window. That spruce tree outside the window should be a great haven for birds, and be great entertainment for the cats doing birdwatching. I don't think the shelf system will have any effect on the value of the house on re-sale. All that would be needed would be to fill the screw nail holes and a coat of paint, and no one would be any the wiser.
Old June 9th, 2013, 12:26 AM

Looks Awesome
Love the cut out box/cat bed on the top shelf - great idea

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old June 9th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

FAB IDEAS
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old June 10th, 2013, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by growler~GateKeeper View Post
Looks Awesome
Love the cut out box/cat bed on the top shelf - great idea
Thanks

Speaking of the box, Newton started using it as of a couple of days ago. He not only plays and lounges up there, he also naps as well!

Old June 10th, 2013, 10:52 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

He looks adorable up there, too!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 10th, 2013, 01:41 PM
Pro Poop Scooper!

Jackson Galaxy would give you 2 thumbs up for those! That's so neat. Noella would love something like that.