Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old August 20th, 2005, 08:52 AM

raw food diet did wonders for my cats health

Ihave a cat who was in very ill health, his immune system was failing and the vet just kept piling on more and more medicne. He had dandruff, oily matted fur, constant tapeworms, and fleas(even though I used flea med.) The last straw was when he started having respiratory problems. I bought a holistic cat book and immediatley put him and my four other cats on a raw food diet. I started giving yeast and garlic tablets to combat fleas naturally. To make along story short, it has worked! Shadrach, my once ill kitty is beautiful and doing well, it has taken about two months to get him on the right track. his fur is shiny and sleek, no worms , no fleas, and very healthy. He gets vit. supp. once a week and daily support minerals in his food daily. The raw food diet is expensive to do for my five cats, but the amount I have saved on vet bills, gas for trips to vet, stress, is immeasurable! Is there anyone who does raw food diet for their cats? People think I'm crazy! I have not been able to find a holistic vet in my state of kansas. I used to think all the natural stuff was alot of hoodoo voodoo, but what I have tried has been successful!
Old August 21st, 2005, 12:57 PM
Critter Lover

Get yourself this book... Dr.Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats..

Its complete with loads of healthy recipies that keep Pets healthy naturally..

( bones & raw food )diets too

weblog @ [url]http://tangynutmegsspirit.blogspot.com[/url]
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:18 PM

Smile

that's so funny because my sister in law was the one who got me into thinking about doing things for my pets in a more natural way, and Dr. Pitcairn's book was what she recomended. I was not able to find it(without having to order it), but i did find another book The New Natural Cat by Anitra Frazier. The forward is written by Dr. pitcairn, and she uses some of his remedies. It has been invaluable!
Old August 23rd, 2005, 02:59 PM

raw diet

My dog has been raw fed for 3 years now, but I've had a harder time converting my cats - only one of the two seems interested. How long did it take you to make the switch?

Glad you had such great success!
Old August 25th, 2005, 09:22 PM

Thumbs up

Ihave five cats. My three youngest who are the ages of two and younger quickly made the change-within the first week. My five year old cat took about two weeks. Araminta my eight year old cat took a good 6-7 weeks! It was really hard because he wouldn't eat or would just barely nibble then he would yowl all day. I just had to tough it out. I gave no extra food or treats between meals. I am a real softy so it was probably harder on me then it was on them! I also smeared one teaspoon of baby food (chicken or beef) on their food to perk up the flavor and smell. I gradually reduced it until they were no longer needing it. I never thought I would get my oldest cat switched over. But if they are hungry enough they will eat, and if you have the resolve to stick to your guns then it will probably work!